Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Re: Some new thoughts/ideas for LAMS 2.2

Search: 

3: Re: Re: Some new thoughts/ideas for LAMS 2.2
In response to 2 03/19/09 10:27 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Cheers Ernie!

Here are some replies

Point 2: instant messaging

have checked SMTP settings, but problem still exists, by the way it is a nightmare to receive large numbers of messages at a time!; anyway maybe there is another reason why messages don't arrive...a mystery to solve…

Point 3 Student Report

I see a student report as an integral part of improving the overall e-learning experience in LAMS. Thus in a way it is another suggestion for making LAMS a more user-friendly system when used as a University e-learning platform (IE I suggested before that learners should not have multiple logins, but should have one login with multiple sub-accounts).

The report could be an automated instant-messaging type function or part automated with the option to add specific comments. However the guiding principle is to create more contact with the user, to make the user aware that his/her work is being ‘recognised’ and hopefully motivate the learner to become (more)/remain engaged

The report could be adaptable and its elements would be chosen from a list by the teacher. It could comprise things such as

(1) overall information on sequences completed
(2) time spent (maybe compared to average group-time spent)
(3) grades (averages/specific)
(4) areas of strength/weakness
(5) general/specific advice on what to study
(6) forum/chat entries (compared to average)

These are just some very general ideas.

Point 7 Live Edit

Yes, I may have added the lesson from the wrong folder, but should there not be a warning that this should not be done? This may also explain the problems I had with ‘submit’ file. But this theory will need testing

Point 8 Adding students to new groups

Not so at most Cypriot institutions or in countries where overseas students are delayed by visa restrictions. It’s a real bind to keep logging new students into lessons one by one! Your idea sounds OK, some kind of quick add function is required. See screenshot of number of sequences in one of my groups..and imagine adding 10 new students to this group!

Posted by Chris Alexander

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum