Forum Problems Installing LAMS: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?

You may request notification for How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?.
Search: 

1: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
04/03/09 05:17 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hello!

Please tell me how to configure Moodle and LAMS to be able to use Moodle's activities in LAMS's editor (like in example course http://moodle.lamscommunity.org/moodle/course/view.php?id=2)?

I tried to follow instructions on http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lams/Moodle+Tool+Adapter (with Moodle's code modification), but haven't succeed in it.

Sincerely,
Alexander

Posted by Alexander Lifanov

2: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 1 04/11/09 07:05 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Alexander,

It's true the wiki page for the moodle tool adapter doesn't contain specific instructions for setting up the tool adapters. I'll try to outline the steps here:

UPDATED 28/10/09

Changelog:
02/11/09 - added tag for 1.9.5+20090515, and more instructions for getting appropriate Moodle version
28/10/09 - added tag to temp_moodle_dev for 1.9.3 since most recent version is for 1.9.5

Moodle:
1. Download and install Moodle - there are currently 2 versions supported, 1.9.3+20081015 and 1.9.5+20090515. You can get these from the Moodle CVS (http://docs.moodle.org/en/CVS_for_Administrators). Use the MOODLE_19_STABLE branch, with date set to the relevant version (-D argument).
2. Checkout/export the project 'temp_moodle_dev' from our CVS repository, details here: http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lams/Building+LAMS#BuildingLAMS-GettingitfromCVS. Use the 'adapter_mdl_193_20081015' tag for the version that works with 1.9.3-20081015, 'adapter_mdl_195_20090515' for 1.9.5-20090515.
3. This project contains the tool adapter changes as well as the most recent version of the lamstwo module (required of course). Copy the contents of the 'moodle' directory to your 'moodle' installation in step 1 (yes, overwrite files).
4. In MySQL, add an is_lams column to each Moodle tool that supports the tool adapter. i.e.
mysql> alter table mdl_assignment add column is_lams int(1) default 0;
Do this for each of the 9 tools. You can use the following:
alter table mdl_assignment add column is_lams int(1) default 0;
alter table mdl_chat add column is_lams int(1) default 0;
alter table mdl_choice add column is_lams int(1) default 0;
alter table mdl_forum add column is_lams int(1) default 0;
alter table mdl_glossary add column is_lams int(1) default 0;
alter table mdl_lesson add column is_lams int(1) default 0;
alter table mdl_quiz add column is_lams int(1) default 0;
alter table mdl_scorm add column is_lams int(1) default 0;
alter table mdl_wiki add column is_lams int(1) default 0;
5. Also add an is_lams column to mdl_course_modules, i.e.
mysql> alter table mdl_course_modules add column is_lams int(1) default 0;
6. That's it for the Moodle side.

LAMS:
1. Download and install LAMS 2.2 or later. Make a note of whether you have 2.2 or 2.3+, we'll need to know this for step 3.
2. Configure an integrated server entry for the Moodle server (same as when setting up a standard integration).
3a. If using lams 2.4 (i.e. CVS trunk), checkout/export the latest from the project 'tool_adapters' from our CVS repository, as well as the 'lams_build' project.
3b. If using lams 2.3.x, checkout/export the lams2_3_1 tag of the project 'tool_adapters' from our CVS repository, as well as the 'lams_build' project.
3c. If using lams 2.2, checkout/export a copy of the project 'tool_adapters' with the tag 'lams2_2', as well as the 'lams_build' project.
4. Copy the lams_build folder to tool_adapters/moodle/.
5. Edit lams_build/common.properties with osPropertiesName=unix|windows depending on your system. Also edit the database access details in that file to match your LAMS database access details.
6. Edit lams_build/unix.properties or windows.properties, and set jboss.home property to the path of your jboss directory.
7. Make sure you have Java JDK and Ant installed in order to compile and deploy the LAMS tools.
8. For each tool folder, do the following:
shell> cd /path/to/tool_adapters/moodle/lams_tool_mdlassignment
shell> ant deploy-tool
LAMS shouldn't be running while you do this.
9. If each tool deployed successfully, start up LAMS.
10. Login as sysadmin, go to Sysadmin menu, Tool Management.
11. For each of the new tools, click Tool Management for that tool.
12. Tell each Moodle tool the server id of your Moodle server (as configured in LAMS), the URL of Moodle, and the callback URL for that tool. Here are the callback URLs for moodle.lamscommunity.org for example:
http://moodle.lamscommunity.org/moodle/mod/lamstwo/tooladapter_assignment.php
http://moodle.lamscommunity.org/moodle/mod/lamstwo/tooladapter_chat.php
http://moodle.lamscommunity.org/moodle/mod/lamstwo/tooladapter_choice.php
http://moodle.lamscommunity.org/moodle/mod/lamstwo/tooladapter_forum.php
http://moodle.lamscommunity.org/moodle/mod/lamstwo/tooladapter_glossary.php
http://moodle.lamscommunity.org/moodle/mod/lamstwo/tooladapter_lesson.php
http://moodle.lamscommunity.org/moodle/mod/lamstwo/tooladapter_quiz.php
http://moodle.lamscommunity.org/moodle/mod/lamstwo/tooladapter_scorm.php
http://moodle.lamscommunity.org/moodle/mod/lamstwo/tooladapter_wiki.php

To test:
1. Login to Moodle, and open LAMS Author. All 9 Moodle tools should appear in the tool library on the left side.
2. Do stuff with the new tools.

As mentioned, the changes to Moodle are currently only tested with Moodle 1.9.3-20081015; confirmation that the changes work with 1.9.4 or more recent versions would be most welcome. If there are any mistakes in the steps here let me know and I'll update this post.

Thanks!

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

3: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 2 04/14/09 08:14 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jun-Dir!

Thank you very much, this is a great help for me!

But please tell me if i missed some steps for LAMS side: i've done steps 1-10 successfully, but when i enter "Tool Management" i don't see new moodle tools..

May be i missed some simple thing like copying tool_adapters folder to lams? (i got "tool_adapters" and "lams_build" projects from CVS and placed then to my desktop where i made steps 4-9 with then)

Thanks again

P.S. I used Moodle 1.9.3 successfully, but for 1.9.4 version i had an error: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare update_category_button() (previously declared in C:\wamp\www\lib\weblib.php:5195) in C:\wamp\www\course\lib.php on line 1960

Sincerely,
Alexander Lifanov

Posted by Alex Lifanov

5: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 3 04/17/09 03:38 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Sounds like something may have gone wrong while deploying the tools. The ant script may say BUILD SUCCESSFUL, but it's worth checking the output above it to see if there were errors.

Another thing to check is whether the LAMS logs show any errors on startup, that might indicate a broken tool.

PS thanks for the note about 1.9.4

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

4: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 2 04/15/09 07:55 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I found an article (http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lamsdocs/Installing+a+new+tool+from+source), it said that "Ant will compile and build the tool, and install it into your jboss instance".

Building was successful for me ("BUILD SUCCESSFUL. Total time ... sec"), but there are still no new tools in "Tool management".

Then i tried to reinstall Moodle and LAMS again, made integration step by step, but now after deploying i can't start LAMS at all..

Will be very appreciate for any help.

P.S. I use windows xp and wampserver on localhost.

Part of common.properties file:
# which o/s related property file do you want? valid values "windows" or "unix"
osPropertiesName=windows
#database access
db.name=lams2
db.driver=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
db.url=jdbc:mysql://localhost/${db.name}?characterEncoding=utf8&zeroDateTimeBehavior=convertToNull&autoReconnect=true&useUnicode=true
db.encoding=utf8
db.username=lams2
db.password=lams2
db.driver.jar=${sharedlib}/mysql/mysql-connector-java-3.1.12-bin.jar
db.scripts=${basedir}/db/sql
db.schema=
db.catalog=

Part of windows.properties file:
#JBoss deploy directory (Windows)
jboss.home=C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/
jboss.server=${jboss.home}server/
jboss.server.instance=${jboss.server}default
jboss.server.instance.lib=${jboss.server.instance}/lib
jboss.ear.deploy=${jboss.server.instance}/deploy/
jboss.deploy=${jboss.ear.deploy}/${conf.application}.ear

Sincerely,
Alexander

Posted by Alex Lifanov

6: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 4 04/17/09 03:41 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yep, that wiki applies here. As in my previous post, were there any problems in the text output during tool deployment? Did you test that the new LAMS install worked before deploying tools?

The .properties files you pasted look fine.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 6 04/17/09 03:54 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yes, LAMS and LAMS-Moodle integration worked ok before deploying tools.

I haven't find any problems with deploying process, but it would be great if you could look at it too:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/agb53ha/n/lams_tool_deploy_txt

Will look at LAMS and JBOSS logs now, because JBOSS can't start too - may be some problems with him?

Thanks again, Sincerely, Alexander

Posted by Alex Lifanov

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 7 04/17/09 05:12 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
That tool deploy log looks good. There are no extra steps between deploying the tools, and the tool's 'tool management' link appearing in sysadmin. So I guess there are only the LAMS logs to inspect - server.log if it's a startup problem.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

9: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 8 04/17/09 05:53 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
11: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 9 04/20/09 04:05 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Could you email me server.log? I've tried several times over some days to download it, but filefactory.com keeps telling me they're too busy.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

12: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 9 04/20/09 06:24 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The problem is that the lams tool adapters were updated on 28/3/09 to be compatible with lams 2.3. If you're using lams 2.2, you'll need to check out the revision from before that date. So something like

cvs export -D2009-03-27T00:00:00 tool_adapters

I'll update my post earlier in this thread.

Thanks!

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

10: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 8 04/17/09 06:05 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Jun-Dir, i found some errors in server.log, it seems that the problem is in deployment..

P.S. I use:
ant 1.7.1
LAMS 2.2
jdk1.6.0_14
tool_adapters and lams_build projects from CVS, downloaded couple of days ago
Moodle 1.9.3 (Build: 20081015)

here is a part of log:

2009-04-17 15:40:23,890 ERROR [org.jboss.web.WebModule] Starting failed jboss.web.deployment:war=lams-tool-mdscrm10.war,id=503869057
org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException: URL file:/C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/tmp/deploy/tmp4604704527156148203lams-tool-mdscrm10-exp.war/ deployment failed

2009-04-17 15:40:24,000 ERROR [org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer] could not start deployment: file:/C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/deploy/lams.ear/
org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException: URL file:/C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/tmp/deploy/tmp4604704527156148203lams-tool-mdscrm10-exp.war/ deployment failed

2009-04-17 15:40:24,000 ERROR [org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner] Incomplete Deployment listing:

--- Incompletely deployed packages ---
org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentInfo@1e086e81 { url=file:/C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/deploy/lams.ear/lams-tool-mdscrm10.war }
deployer: org.jboss.web.tomcat.tc5.Tomcat5@1c70315
status: Deployment FAILED reason: URL file:/C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/tmp/deploy/tmp4604704527156148203lams-tool-mdscrm10-exp.war/ deployment failed
state: FAILED
watch: file:/C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/deploy/lams.ear/lams-tool-mdscrm10.war
altDD: null
lastDeployed: 1239968278984
lastModified: 1239968278953
mbeans:

org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentInfo@59e0a1c3 { url=file:/C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/deploy/lams.ear/lams-www.war/ }
deployer: org.jboss.web.tomcat.tc5.Tomcat5@1c70315
state: CREATED
watch: file:/C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/deploy/lams.ear/lams-www.war/WEB-INF/web.xml
lastDeployed: 1239968279015
lastModified: 1239967234312
mbeans:

org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentInfo@455623 { url=file:/C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/deploy/lams.ear/ }
deployer: org.jboss.deployment.EARDeployer@1fe4169
status: Deployment FAILED reason: URL file:/C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/tmp/deploy/tmp4604704527156148203lams-tool-mdscrm10-exp.war/ deployment failed
state: FAILED
watch: file:/C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/deploy/lams.ear/META-INF/application.xml
lastDeployed: 1239968279015
lastModified: 1239968110453
mbeans:

--- MBeans waiting for other MBeans ---
ObjectName: jboss.web.deployment:war=lams-tool-mdscrm10.war,id=503869057
State: FAILED
Reason: org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException: URL file:/C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/tmp/deploy/tmp4604704527156148203lams-tool-mdscrm10-exp.war/ deployment failed

--- MBEANS THAT ARE THE ROOT CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM ---
ObjectName: jboss.web.deployment:war=lams-tool-mdscrm10.war,id=503869057
State: FAILED
Reason: org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException: URL file:/C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/tmp/deploy/tmp4604704527156148203lams-tool-mdscrm10-exp.war/ deployment failed

Posted by Alex Lifanov

14: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 2 04/22/09 07:43 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Forgot a step on the Moodle side, edited post #2 to add is_lams column to mdl_course_modules

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

15: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 2 06/29/09 03:11 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I am trying to build this based on 2.3

Trying to build the first adapter

-bash-3.2# cd moodle/lams_tool_mdlassignment/
-bash-3.2# ant deploy-tool
Buildfile: build.xml

generate-hbm-files:
    [echo] Building hbm.xml files using XDoclet
[hibernatedoclet] - Running <hibernate/>
[hibernatedoclet] Generating mapping file for org.lamsfoundation.lams.tool.mdasgm.model.MdlAssignmentUser.
[hibernatedoclet]    org.lamsfoundation.lams.tool.mdasgm.model.MdlAssignmentUser
[hibernatedoclet] Generating mapping file for org.lamsfoundation.lams.tool.mdasgm.model.MdlAssignmentSession.
[hibernatedoclet]    org.lamsfoundation.lams.tool.mdasgm.model.MdlAssignmentSession
[hibernatedoclet] Generating mapping file for org.lamsfoundation.lams.tool.mdasgm.model.MdlAssignment.
[hibernatedoclet]    org.lamsfoundation.lams.tool.mdasgm.model.MdlAssignment

clean-build:
    [mkdir] Created dir: /root/lams-moodle/tool_adapters/moodle/lams_tool_mdlassignment/build/classes/java
    [mkdir] Created dir: /root/lams-moodle/tool_adapters/moodle/lams_tool_mdlassignment/build/classes/test/java
    [mkdir] Created dir: /root/lams-moodle/tool_adapters/moodle/lams_tool_mdlassignment/build/lib
    [mkdir] Created dir: /root/lams-moodle/tool_adapters/moodle/lams_tool_mdlassignment/build/deploy

compile-java:
    [javac] Compiling 30 source files to /root/lams-moodle/tool_adapters/moodle/lams_tool_mdlassignment/build/classes/java
    [javac] /root/lams-moodle/tool_adapters/moodle/lams_tool_mdlassignment/src/java/org/lamsfoundation/lams/tool/mdasgm/service/IMdlAssignmentService.java:31: cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class ExtServerToolAdapterMap
    [javac] location: package org.lamsfoundation.lams.integration
    [javac] import org.lamsfoundation.lams.integration.ExtServerToolAdapterMap;
    [javac]                                          ^
    [javac] /root/lams-moodle/tool_adapters/moodle/lams_tool_mdlassignment/src/java/org/lamsfoundation/lams/tool/mdasgm/service/IMdlAssignmentService.java:201: cannot find symbol
    [javac] location: interface org.lamsfoundation.lams.tool.mdasgm.service.IMdlAssignmentService
    [javac]    public List<ExtServerToolAdapterMap> getMappedServers();
    [javac]                ^
    [javac] /root/lams-moodle/tool_adapters/moodle/lams_tool_mdlassignment/src/java/org/lamsfoundation/lams/tool/mdasgm/service/MdlAssignmentService.java:56: cannot find symbol
    [javac]                                          ^
    [javac] /root/lams-moodle/tool_adapters/moodle/lams_tool_mdlassignment/src/java/org/lamsfoundation/lams/tool/mdasgm/service/MdlAssignmentService.java:705: cannot find symbol
    [javac] location: class org.lamsfoundation.lams.tool.mdasgm.service.MdlAssignmentService
    [javac]    public List<ExtServerToolAdapterMap> getMappedServers() {
    [javac]                ^
    [javac] /root/lams-moodle/tool_adapters/moodle/lams_tool_mdlassignment/src/java/org/lamsfoundation/lams/tool/mdasgm/web/actions/AdminAction.java:13: cannot find symbol

I am not a java programmer so I am not sure where to look.

Posted by Dave Bauer

16: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 15 06/29/09 04:59 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Dave,

I think you need to put the lams_tool_mdlassignment and all the other lams_tool_mdlX at the same level as all the other lams_tool_X lams tools.

Try that and that would probably work.

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

18: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 16 06/29/09 05:49 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie,

Can you be more specific?

What does "at the same level" mean?

Do I need to checkout the entire lams 2.3 source?

Posted by Dave Bauer

19: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 18 06/29/09 05:56 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Sorry, I have spent too much time in Spain already :-)

The lams_tools_mdlX folders, they have to be in the same subdirectory level as the other folders.

$ ls -la

drwxr-xr-x  23 ernieg  staff    782 28 Jun 02:14 lams_build
drwxr-xr-x  15 ernieg  staff    510 28 Jun 02:06 lams_central
drwxr-xr-x  16 ernieg  staff    544 19 Jun 17:34 lams_common
drwxr-xr-x  22 ernieg  staff    748 28 Jun 02:06 lams_contentrepository
drwxr-xr-x  12 ernieg  staff    408 28 Jun 02:07 lams_gradebook
drwxr-xr-x  16 ernieg  staff    544 28 Jun 02:07 lams_learning
drwxr-xr-x  16 ernieg  staff    544 28 Jun 02:07 lams_monitoring
drwxr-xr-x  14 ernieg  staff    476 28 Jun 02:12 lams_tool_assessment
drwxr-xr-x  15 ernieg  staff    510 28 Jun 02:09 lams_tool_chat
drwxr-xr-x  14 ernieg  staff    476 28 Jun 02:11 lams_tool_daco
drwxr-xr-x  12 ernieg  staff    408 19 Jun 17:34 lams_tool_deploy
drwxr-xr-x  15 ernieg  staff    510 28 Jun 02:11 lams_tool_dimdim
drwxr-xr-x  19 ernieg  staff    646 28 Jun 02:09 lams_tool_forum
drwxr-xr-x  14 ernieg  staff    476 28 Jun 02:11 lams_tool_gmap
drwxr-xr-x  13 ernieg  staff    442 28 Jun 02:11 lams_tool_images
drwxr-xr-x  14 ernieg  staff    476 19 Jun 17:34 lams_tool_lamc
drwxr-xr-x  15 ernieg  staff    510 28 Jun 02:15 lams_tool_laqa
drwxr-xr-x  15 ernieg  staff    510 28 Jun 02:09 lams_tool_larsrc
drwxr-xr-x  13 ernieg  staff    442 28 Jun 02:36 lams_tool_mdlassignment
drwxr-xr-x  13 ernieg  staff    442 19 Jun 17:38 lams_tool_mdlchat
drwxr-xr-x  13 ernieg  staff    442 28 Jun 02:36 lams_tool_mdlchoice
drwxr-xr-x  13 ernieg  staff    442 19 Jun 17:39 lams_tool_mdlforum
drwxr-xr-x  13 ernieg  staff    442 28 Jun 02:37 lams_tool_mdlglossary
drwxr-xr-x  13 ernieg  staff    442 28 Jun 05:36 lams_tool_mdllesson
drwxr-xr-x  13 ernieg  staff    442 28 Jun 02:37 lams_tool_mdlquiz
drwxr-xr-x  13 ernieg  staff    442 28 Jun 05:36 lams_tool_mdlscorm
drwxr-xr-x  13 ernieg  staff    442 28 Jun 04:46 lams_tool_mdlwiki
drwxr-xr-x  15 ernieg  staff    510 28 Jun 02:12 lams_tool_mindmap
drwxr-xr-x  16 ernieg  staff    544 28 Jun 02:09 lams_tool_nb
drwxr-xr-x  16 ernieg  staff    544 28 Jun 02:10 lams_tool_notebook
drwxr-xr-x  14 ernieg  staff    476 28 Jun 02:21 lams_tool_pixlr
drwxr-xr-x  17 ernieg  staff    578 28 Jun 02:15 lams_tool_sbmt
drwxr-xr-x  15 ernieg  staff    510 28 Jun 02:10 lams_tool_scribe
drwxr-xr-x  13 ernieg  staff    442 28 Jun 02:11 lams_tool_spreadsheet
drwxr-xr-x  14 ernieg  staff    476 28 Jun 02:10 lams_tool_survey
drwxr-xr-x  14 ernieg  staff    476 28 Jun 02:10 lams_tool_task
drwxr-xr-x  14 ernieg  staff    476 28 Jun 02:12 lams_tool_videorecorder

Note that instead of being in the tool_adapters/moodle/lams_tool_mdlassignment/, you just get rid of the tool_adapters/moodle folder and put them all in the same subdirectory.

Does that make sense?

20: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 19 06/29/09 06:05 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Not really, I don't HAVE any of those folders :)

So do I need to check out the entire lams 2.3 tree? It is not specified in the instructions here.

Posted by Dave Bauer

17: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 15 06/29/09 05:44 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
So the library containing
: class ExtServerToolAdapterMap
[javac]

does not exist anywhere in my checkout of the code specified, or in my lams 2.3 install. Did I miss a step of something to checkout?

Posted by Dave Bauer

21: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 17 06/29/09 06:09 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Dave,

The ExtServerToolAdapterMap code is actually new to 2.3.1, so you'll need to check out from the lams2_3_1 tag to get the latest for both tool adapter and core. This new class was part of a feature to allow multiple integrated moodle servers to use the tooladapter.

Try checking out from the lams2_3_1 tag.

Luke

Posted by Luke Foxton

22: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 21 06/29/09 07:03 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ok one more dumb question then I'll go away for a bit and work.

If I checkout the lams 2.3.1 tag, is there other stuff in there besides the external tool adapter I need?

Perhaps another solution would have been to checkout the moodle adapters from an earlier date instead of HEAD?

Posted by Dave Bauer

23: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 22 06/29/09 07:11 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yes,

You need at least the lams_build project, which contains all the core jar files needed to compile the other projects.

Check out this page for more info about building lams:
http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lams/Building+LAMS

Basically, before building you will need to edit the lams_build/common.properties to make sure its configured to talk to your database, and is set to either windows or unix. You'll also need to edit the <your os type>.properties file to point the builder to the correct locations on your server.

Then you can run the tool's deploy-tool ant task and it should hopefully work.

Good luck

Luke

Posted by Luke Foxton

24: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 23 06/29/09 07:15 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yes, I did this, checking out lams_build from HEAD.

It did not seem to work, it was missing the ExtToolAdapaterMap class which appears to be in a different module from my cvs browsing. I checked out the whole 2_3_1 tree and I'll try to build it and let you know.

Thanks for the help!

Posted by Dave Bauer

25: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 2 05/16/10 11:30 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Do you know if there is a chance that using moodle 1.9.7+ (Build: 20100120) and Lams 2.3 would work with this tool_adapter?can I use 'adapter_mdl_195_20090515' or I cannot use this moodle version to try this integration?

Thank you!!

Posted by Sandra Ciutad

26: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 25 05/26/10 06:12 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Sandra,

You might be able to, but you would have to go thru the code and do the changes required in Moodle to make this work.

Ernie

27: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 26 05/26/10 11:24 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie,

I did it. I have posted my problems during the process in another diferent post!!
Sorry, I didn't know how to erase my first post!

Sandra

Posted by Sandra Ciutad

28: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 26 05/26/10 11:28 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The name of my last post, which is the important one is :
"Problems trying to integrate moodle activities in lams 2.3.3 "

If you can give me a clue...

Thanks

Posted by Sandra Ciutad

29: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 2 05/27/10 02:27 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
"1. Download and install Moodle - there are currently 2 versions supported, 1.9.3+20081015 and 1.9.5+20090515."

sorry for asking one more time: does LAMS-Moodle tools integration works with latest versions on Moodle?

Thank you!

Posted by Alex Lifanov

30: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 29 05/27/10 02:57 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Alex,

Unfortunately at this time we can't quite keep up with the changes in Moodle versions as far as integrating Moodle tools within LAMS.

However, if you are willing to help, I can give you the modifications we've done in Moodle for each tool and Moodle core and you can work out the diffs?

And even better, would you be able to maintain changes when new Moodle releases come up?

Thanks,

Ernie

32: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 30 05/27/10 03:08 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie!

I'll be glad to do it if i'll be able to manage this work!

Alex.

Posted by Alex Lifanov

33: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 32 05/27/10 12:47 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Alex,

I don't know if it will help but I have tried to use tool adapter 1.9.5 with moodle 1.9.7+ and Lams 2.3.3. I got until the last step explained by Jun-Dir in this same forum, I managed to have the tools in lams but I couldn't edit the last part in the tool management section of each tool. I posted my logs and the error I get when I click the tool management section of one tool in: Problems trying to integrate moodle activities in lams 2.3.3

I am not an expert in Java, so I can't get anything from that logs or error and I don't know if it will help to someone...

If you manage to install the activities I 'd be very grateful if you let me know!

Thanks

Sandra

Posted by Sandra Ciutad

34: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 32 05/27/10 08:36 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Alex,

Great!

Our LAMS - Moodle demo site has the Moodle tool adapters installed and working so you can use Moodle activities within LAMS.

This version of Moodle is 1.9.3 (Build: 20081015).

I have zipped up the moodle/mod folder and you can download it here.

For using Moodle tools within LAMS, there are two changes required. One is to the mods (and you can see the changes in the zipped file above) and the other change is to Moodle Core and these changes are explained in the Modifications to Moodle section in the Moodle tool adapters wiki page.

I hope this helps. If you can update the moodle mods to a later version of Moodle that'll be great!

Thanks,

Ernie

35: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 34 06/01/10 03:42 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie,

thank you very much for this information, i'll try and will let you know!

Sincerely,
Alex

Posted by Alex Lifanov

31: Re: Re: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 29 05/27/10 03:06 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Alex,

Just to clarify why we aren't doing this... Moodle has over 160 contributors to Moodle core, where as here in LAMS we are a whole lot less :-) We also have plenty of work on LAMS stuff and lots of other LAMS related projects on the board (pedagogical planner, LessonLAMS, etc).

So if you or anyone could help out and keeping track of changes in Moodle so we could use Moodle activities within LAMS, it will be very helpful for us all.

Thanks,

Ernie

13: Re: How to use Moodle 1.9.4 activities in LAMS 2.2?
In response to 1 04/20/09 07:32 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Now it works! Great thanks to Jun-Dir Liew!

The problem was using 'tool_adapters' and 'lams_build' projects for LAMS 2.3 version (having LAMS 2.2 installed). Jun-Dir updated his post#2.

Thanks again,
Alexander

Posted by Alex Lifanov

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS