Forum Problems Installing LAMS: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04

You may request notification for LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04.
Search: 

1: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
06/02/09 11:46 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I just installed LAMS 2.3 on Ubunto. When I try to select Author, the Author window will sart loading but stops at 67% load. Any clue howtto solve this
Thanks in advance

Posted by Al Pedrazzoli

2: Re: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
In response to 1 06/02/09 02:18 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Al,

The Author interface loads mainly XML files from the back end (configuration settings, display settings, tool activities configs and language files). If I recall correctly, at the stage you mention it might be that is loading (or expecting from the back end) an XML file with the language labels and if it is getting stuck it is because the xml file with the labels isn't there.

What's the language are you using?

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
In response to 2 06/02/09 10:51 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie I am using Italian as language

Posted by Al Pedrazzoli

4: Re: Re: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
In response to 2 06/03/09 12:12 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
To be even more specific, I used Italian in generating LAMS 2.3. On another installation where I used en_AU as language I have no problems, the only difference in in the italian installation I have Ubuntu 9.04, in the english installation I use OpenSuse.
Al

Posted by Al Pedrazzoli

5: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
In response to 4 06/03/09 10:28 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Al,

That's quite odd. The translations server is using LAMS 2.3 as well and I'm able to login in Italian no problems (you can test it as follows: u: italian p: italian).

Let me know if it doesn't work for you in this server either.

If it does, then chances are that something might have happened when installing the dictionary files (I'm guessing here, as to give you a more accurate description I'd need to take a look at it).

BTW, did you install it using the debian package or the unix tarball installer?

Thanks,

Ernie

6: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
In response to 5 06/03/09 10:29 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Oopps... this is the link to the translations server.

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
In response to 6 06/04/09 12:05 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Erni, sorry for the delay in anwering, I installit with the debian package, and I did the following, reinstalled using en_AU as langugage and the same thing happens. Load of the Authoring tool ends loading at 67%. I will today install LAMS 2.3 with the tarball version.
Thanks again for the support and regards from Italy
Al

Posted by Al Pedrazzoli

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
In response to 7 06/04/09 12:28 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
This is just a long-shot suggestion, but try clearing your browser cache, that may fix the problem.

Luke

Posted by Luke Foxton

9: Re: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
In response to 1 06/05/09 06:17 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I think jdk environment hasn't been installed properly.
Try
apt-get -f install and configure lams server
Nikos

Posted by Nikos Dovros

10: Re: Re: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
In response to 9 06/10/09 12:31 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Nikos thanks for your reply, still no success, I am sure it must be related to the JDK but no clue so far ..
To bad this situation because it inhibits the use of LAMS.
If somebody has any clue to this let me know
Thanks again Al

Posted by Al Pedrazzoli

11: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
In response to 10 06/12/09 02:28 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Al, if you try with another browser on a different computer, does it get stuck as well?

While you are at it, if you change the language for your user (My Profile --> Edit Profile), does it also get stuck?

I'll create a VM to test this shortly.

Thanks,

Ernie

13: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
In response to 11 06/13/09 12:24 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Erni , sorry for the late reply, was busy giving lectures.
I tried several things, change language in the profile was one of it. I regenerated LAMS with en_AU language - non change, I really believe it has something to do with the JDK version used. I will try this weekend to use the original sun jdk in Ubuntu, and regenerate LAMS again. Do to time constrains, if I have no success with Ubuntu I will switch to OpenSuse where this problems do not appear. I will still further investigate the problem with Ubuntu but on a lover priority.
Will keep you informed
Al

Posted by Al Pedrazzoli

12: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
In response to 10 06/12/09 02:45 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
OK, super simple LAMS Install in Ubuntu 9.04

root@ubuntu:~# echo "deb http://downloads.lamsinternational.com/debian web/" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
root@ubuntu:~# apt-get update
root@ubuntu:~# apt-get install lams2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
avahi-daemon defoma gsfonts gsfonts-x11 java-common lams-jboss4 libasound2 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3 libavahi-core5 libdaemon0
libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libfontenc1 libfreetype6 libhtml-template-perl libice6 libltdl7 libmysqlclient15off libnet-daemon-perl
libnss-mdns libplrpc-perl libsm6 libxfont1 libxi6 libxp6 libxt6 libxtst6 mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common mysql-server-5.0 mysql-server-core-5.0
odbcinst1debian1 sun-java5-bin sun-java5-demo sun-java5-jdk sun-java5-jre unixodbc xfonts-encodings xfonts-utils
Suggested packages:
avahi-autoipd defoma-doc psfontmgr x-ttcidfont-conf dfontmgr libft-perl equivs libasound2-plugins dbishell libipc-sharedcache-perl
mysql-doc-5.0 tinyca mailx sun-java5-doc sun-java5-source sun-java5-plugin ia32-sun-java5-plugin sun-java5-fonts ttf-baekmuk ttf-unfonts
ttf-unfonts-core ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-sazanami-mincho ttf-arphic-uming libmyodbc odbc-postgresql libct1
The following NEW packages will be installed:
avahi-daemon defoma gsfonts gsfonts-x11 java-common lams-jboss4 lams2 libasound2 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3 libavahi-core5
libdaemon0 libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libfontenc1 libfreetype6 libhtml-template-perl libice6 libltdl7 libmysqlclient15off libnet-daemon-perl
libnss-mdns libplrpc-perl libsm6 libxfont1 libxi6 libxp6 libxt6 libxtst6 mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common mysql-server-5.0 mysql-server-core-5.0
odbcinst1debian1 sun-java5-bin sun-java5-demo sun-java5-jdk sun-java5-jre unixodbc xfonts-encodings xfonts-utils
0 upgraded, 41 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 215MB of archives.
After this operation, 413MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
lams-jboss4 lams2
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Get:1 http://downloads.lamsinternational.com web/ lams-jboss4 4.0.2-1 [61.7MB]
Get:2 http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au jaunty/main libice6 2:1.0.4-1 [47.7kB]
Get:3 http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au jaunty/main libsm6 2:1.1.0-1 [22.6kB]

Setting up sun-java5-bin (1.5.0-18-1) ...

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
root@ubuntu:~# /etc/init.d/lams2 start
* Starting LAMS 2 Server lams2
...done.
root@ubuntu:~#

Then I logged in as Sysadmin, change my language to Italian and Open Author and bang... it works (see attached pic)

Al, can you also delete the #sharedObjects folder from your laptop/desktop and attempt again? that's where flash caches stuff. See here for more info: http://tinyurl.com/kvhjzp

Thanks,

Ernie

Attachments:
14: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
In response to 12 06/13/09 12:26 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
OK Erni will try your method
Thanks and regards
Al

Posted by Al Pedrazzoli

15: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.3 fail loading Author in Ubunto 9.04
In response to 12 06/15/09 12:55 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie your advised worked, the only problem is that I need Java6 and not Java5.. and with the Ubuntu javd 6 JDK I am able to reproduce the problem... I will try with sun Java 6 JDK to see if I can solve the problem with Ubuntu. Otherwise I switch to OpenSuse where the problem dosnt exist
Thanks for the help
Al

Posted by Al Pedrazzoli

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS