Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Force complete a learner to the end ...but the opposite?

Search: 

7: Re: Force complete a learner to the end ...but the opposite?
In response to 1 03/18/10 04:48 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
At some point and for some future version of LAMS (e.g. 2.5) we also might discuss the following idea.

As it is, LAMS is a learning design system and based on aplay-act metaphor that you also have in IMS/LD. In addition, in LAMS there is some stuff that can be found in IMS/SS. While "LD" models in principle allow for "Go to" programming (level C in IMS-LD), it's not really meant for non-theatical scenarios.

I now just wonder whether one could image a "LAMS project" version to allow for repetitive and cyclic scenarios. To do so, we need at least another tool I'd call "Teacher announce", i.e. a simple board that tells learners what to do next and also provide feedback. Could be just a "View on a single forum, technically speaking.

Example:
Announce-> Wiki->Announce->Wiki->Announce->Resource + Wiki
(create a list) (revise list) (expand list)

Wiki is always the same.

Of course, visually, this should then be presented with different transitions (non-linear numbered arrows, only ONE node for the Wiki).
The learner UI would also be different and look very much like the authoring interface. Steps that students did not take yet (e.g. announce #4 and beyound) could be hidden. Important also: teachers should be able to add stuff in real time, e.g. the monitoring interface = authoring interface.

This would take time to implement, BUT for starters one could just parametrize all the tools to get rid of the complicated sequencing stuff ;)

Posted by Daniel Schneider

8: Re: Re: Force complete a learner to the end ...but the opposite?
In response to 7 03/18/10 05:01 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Here is a picture I made years ago :)

I use content management systems to implement this (e.g. Zikula, Joomla, Drupal) but LAMS-project would be more powerful.

LAMS-LD (the current one) I would and do use for more traditional teaching, e.g. a introductory social science methodology class.

I had a similar discussion with the guys who implement Dokeos, a popular LMS in Europe. Some team is implementing a new version and its architecture looks like this:

documentation database
V V
LMS e-portfolio system

So separate:
- base functionalities
- tools
- the service on top: LAMS-LD, LAMS-project, LAMS-portfolio, LAMS-whatever.

Not easy I know, but a bit of dreaming can't hurt :)

Posted by Daniel Schneider

Attachments:
Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum