Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Moodle backup of lams activities

You may request notification for Moodle backup of lams activities.
Search: 

1: Moodle backup of lams activities
02/05/09 08:42 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Our users want to export a moodle course including all the lams activities used in the course, and later import them back in.

It looks like the lams2 Moodle module needs to implement a couple of procedures. These would have to do a web service or REST call to the lams server to download the zip files or upload them back to restore the activities.

Is there any plans to make this work, or any idea how much work this is?

Posted by Dave Bauer

2: Re: Moodle backup of lams activities
In response to 1 02/05/09 07:41 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I've thought about this as well. There are servlets that handle import and export of sequences that could probably be called if you get your parameters/password/cookies right, but for the Moodle module the best arrangement would be to extend the integration in LAMS to support export and import methods (currently it does open author, open monitor, etc). This way get the good things an integration gives you, like automatic user/group creation if they've never accessed LAMS before, and server authentication.

On the Moodle side you'd simply call export/import on backup/restore respectively.

The current Moodle module can backup the reference to a LAMS lesson - i.e., when restored it'll point to the same LAMS lesson.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

3: Re: Re: Moodle backup of lams activities
In response to 2 02/09/09 10:26 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks, this confirms my suspicions about how it works.

The trick is actually implementing it.

In our case, we needed to move the moodle course and lams activities both to a new server. We had to manually export every lams sequence, and import it into the new lams server, then recreate the lams activities in the moodle courses to point to the newly imported lams sequences.

Our clients want a one step backup procedure. They don't want to have to think about where the content is stored.

Posted by Dave Bauer

4: Re: Re: Re: Moodle backup of lams activities
In response to 3 02/09/09 04:18 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Dave, Jun-Dir,

I know there's a webservice interface in LAMS to import sequences from the file system. That's what I use when people upload sequences into the LAMS Community, I "push" them to LAMS telling it where to get the zip file from the file system. That works quite well.

However, I don't think we have an import call from webservices.

Dave, let me find out if we can create one for you easily and we get back to you.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moodle backup of lams activities
In response to 4 02/10/09 10:49 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I have added functionality like this to LearningDesignRepositoryServlet. See http://bugs.lamsfoundation.org/browse/LDEV-2129

Now a call like this will return an exported sequence in the request:

http://172.20.100.188:8080/lams//services/xml/LearningDesignRepository?method=exportLD&learningDesignID=1&format=1&datetime=xxx&serverId=xxx&username=xxx&courseId=xxx&country=xx&lang=xx&mode=1&hashValue=xxx

Added parameters:
&method=exportLD
&learningDesignID=1 -The learning design id that you want to export
&format=1 -The format you want to export in (1=zip, 2=IMS)

These changes will be included with 2.3

Posted by Luke Foxton

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum