Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Group

Search: 

2: Re: Group
In response to 1 10/25/10 08:10 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Nai Shin,

If I understand you correctly, what you probably can do is to first split your course in your 8 classes (see 1st-grouping.png). Then set the a branching activity that uses that grouping (see 2nd-branching.png). Finally, create 8 groupings with 5 groups each and link them one for each branch/class (3rd-grouping.png).

So in this case, each of the 20 students in each class will get split in further 5 groups.

Then you can assign these groupings to other activities further in the branch (4rd-activities.png).

I hope this helps.

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Attachments:
3: Re: Re: Group
In response to 2 10/26/10 09:47 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Sorry I did not explain my problem clearly but I really appreciate your reply.
I have 8 classes of students taking my module and they are taught by different staff. Some classes are conduct in parallel, maybe 3 staff teaching 3 classes in 3 different classrooms at the same time. For each staff to monitor his/ her own class easily, I use the Grouping tools to create eight groups (Class1 to Class8) and the students have to select the classes they belong to at the very beginning of the learning activity.
The staff can then easily monitor the students in his/her own class easily and also restrict the forum and chat sessions with the class using Grouping by Class in Property Inspector.
However, I would also need to create activity where I could divide a class of 20 students into 4 project teams and restrict the activities to within each team. In this case, I would need to create 8classes x 4teams=32 groups. I would use the Grouping tool to create 32 groups (Class1-Team1, Class1-Team2, Class1-Team3, Class1-inTeam4, Class2-Team1,..., Class8-Team4) and the students have to select the class-Team they belong to at the beginning of the learning activity. This list of 32 groups is a little to long and difficult for the students to select. We also have modules with larger number of classes and this make the Class-Team list a little unmanageable.
I am thinking of using 2 Grouping tools, the first one to allow students to select their classes (Class1 to Class8) and the second Grouping tool for the students to select their Teams (Team1 to Team4). In subsequent activities, I can select to group the activity by Class or by Team in Property Inspector, but what I really need is to be able to also group by Class AND Team (concatenating the two grouping together).
Is there a way to do this instead of creating 32 groups using the grouping tool?
Hope I have given you a clearer picture now. Thank you.

Posted by Nai Shin Lai

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum