Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: About LAMS 2.4

Search: 

3: Re: About LAMS 2.4
In response to 1 08/09/11 01:49 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Alex,

Sorry I didn't get to see your message before.

If we are to implement SCORM in LAMS, it will be most likely thru the SCORM.com Cloud option.

I originally started looking into this but it seems that the cost of the scorm.com service is rather steep when you get to a sizeable number.

More over, LAMS works slightly different than SCORM, so for instance, you would need to start lots of lessons with the same sequence and for scorm.com that would be consider new "registrations". Therefore even when you have a course with only 50 students, if you have 4 scorm packages for them to use, you'll end up with 200 registrations in scorm.com.

So that has been the main deterrer.

SCORM is way too complex and hard to implement from scratch. Thus, you'll see that there's virtually no open source LMS that implements it (except Moodle I think). Java open source implementations are very buggy or experimental.

Some people I've been working closely with, have not switch from SCORM due to the maintenance cost. Even tools like Adobe Captivate and Articulate provide alternatives publish your content other than SCORM.

What's your need with SCORM btw?

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

5: Re: Re: About LAMS 2.4
In response to 3 08/15/11 04:21 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie!

Thank you very much for your reply and sorry for my late answer:)

Thanks for SCORM cloud, it's new for me. I'm interested in SCORM because i'm usually have it as one of demands in my work.. I'm agree that SCORM is too complex and hard to implement and it's not usefull now..

I also saw "Tools inputs and outputs (ability for tools to communicate and exchange data)" in your roadmap, can you also tell a few words about this functionality?

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Alexander

Posted by Alex Lifanov

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum