Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: LAMS 1.1 Workshop Presentation in London

You may request notification for LAMS 1.1 Workshop Presentation in London.
Search: 

1: LAMS 1.1 Workshop Presentation in London
02/18/06 03:47 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday we ran a LAMS Workshop at the London Knowledge Lab with the participation of almost 50 people.
I would like to thank all participants not only for attending but also for engaging in excellent discussions and suggest comments and futher improvements.

The agenda for the event was as follows:

* Where is LAMS today? LAMS V1.0.2
* LAMS Community
* Integrations
* LAMS 1.1
- 1.0.x vs 1.1 Comparison
- New Features and Functions
- LAMS in the Future

Here is the presentation [Powerpoint (3.9MB) and in PDF format (2.9MB)]. Someone at the London Knowledge Lab recorded the audio of the presentation on an iPod. We are hoping to get a copy of the podcast and post it here shortly.

If you have questions about the presentation, please post your questions/suggestions/comments here.

A big thanks to the people of the London Knowledge Lab for providing the venue and all the logistics.

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

2: Re: LAMS 1.1 Workshop Presentation in London
In response to 1 02/18/06 09:39 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie,

Sounds interesting. However, I am getting a "file not found" error on the presentation in both the powerpoint and pdf formats.

By the way, thanks for putting this type of stuff here.

Dean

Posted by Dean Shankle

3: Re: LAMS 1.1 Workshop Presentation in London
In response to 1 02/19/06 04:10 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Not sure why Ernie's file uploads didn't work - but I've attached the PDF version to this post. James

Posted by James Dalziel

Attachments:
4: Re: Re: LAMS 1.1 Workshop Presentation in London
In response to 3 02/19/06 06:08 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ooppss... Thanks James. I have fixed the links now:

Here is the presentation [Powerpoint (3.9MB) and in PDF format (2.9MB)].

Ernie

5: Re: LAMS 1.1 Workshop Presentation in London
In response to 4 02/19/06 06:38 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks, guys.

1.1 is going to have some very interesting, and useful, features. I looked around at the development area and did not see a projected roll out date (which doesn't mean its not there, just that I didn't see it :)). Any estimates?

Dean

Posted by Dean Shankle

6: Re: Re: LAMS 1.1 Workshop Presentation in London
In response to 5 02/19/06 07:36 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Dean,

Estimates are evil :-)

But here's the plan for the roll out of 1.1 throughout 2006:

By the end of March, we should have authoring completed and monitor close to be finished as well. So by then we will start the translations and open CVS for developers to start having a look at the new architecture and -hopefully- help us with some LAMS tools as well. So far we have about 4 or 5 tools as well, so they become "templates" for developers to start creating their own.

By the beginning of the second semester of 2006, we should have a neat beta version. Given a month or two for some serious testing -we will engage the community on this- we should be then moving to production-like version shortly after.

Ernie

7: Estimates and Hope
In response to 6 02/19/06 07:53 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie,

I've found the moodle/lams integration very useful and having new toys to look forward to is always fun. :-)

I'm hoping that 1.1 is going to be an easy install over my present moodle/lams integration but I presume all of that will become clear as the rollout nears.

Thanks for the information.

Dean

Posted by Dean Shankle

8: Re: Estimates and Hope
In response to 7 02/19/06 08:04 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> I'm hoping that 1.1 is going to be an easy install over my
> present moodle/lams integration but I presume all of that
> will become clear as the rollout nears.

OK, on the Moodle front, that will be probably really straight forward with no hiccups. And that's because Moodle has had a modular architecture since the beginning, making the upgrade of any of its module a straight forward task.

However, LAMS -as you have probably seen in the presentation- wasn't built originally like that and moreover 1.1 is a complete rewrite instead of an upgrade from 1.0.x. Therefore there are quite a few challenges to overcome with the 1.0.x to the 1.1 transition.

One thing we would need to provide is being able to import into 1.1, sequences built using 1.0.x. So that will allow you to export your sequences from your 1.0.x and import them into your 1.1 server.

Potentially, there are ways to write database scripts that also do transitions of other things (classes, users, content, etc). However, I doubt that we will have lots of resources to allocate to this, as we want to concentrate on 1.1 development and testing.

Maybe some people here in the community can help us out on this one?

Ernie

9: Estimates and Hope
In response to 8 02/19/06 08:41 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie,

Based on what I saw I thought there might be some issues. However, 1.0 is such a great tool for what I do I will be patient.

One question that you may or may not be able to answer: Will it be technically feasible to run both 1.0 and 1.1 at the same time? In other words, if importing sequences is problematic will I be able to just keep a legacy copy of 1.0 on the server and continue running sequences that I'm creating now and build new ones in 1.1 going forward?

As a user (not a developer) I certainly appreciate all the great things the development community accomplishes.

Thanks again,

Dean

Posted by Dean Shankle

10: Re: Estimates and Hope
In response to 9 02/19/06 09:09 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Dean,

> Will it be technically feasible to run both 1.0 and 1.1 at
> the same time?

Excellent question...

On top of my head, I believe you would have no problems running two versions of JBOSS (the application server that LAMS 1.0.x and 1.1 use) to run both instances of LAMS (in a same server). If you have this in two server, then that's trivial.

In principle, you can still run your old sequences in 1.0.x but all your new ones will be on 1.1. The single-sign-on bits should work for both instances of LAMS without a problem. However, there's a minor modification to the LAMS/Moodle module to send the students to the right instance of LAMS. But again, that modification is quite trivial.

Woow... It's good to think that we can accommodate for this even if we didn't design it to work like that. :-)

> As a user (not a developer) I certainly appreciate all
> the great things the development community accomplishes.

Well, with 1.1 there's going to be a lot of testing involved and we would like to have power users like you to help us with the testing.

As much as we like developers :-), we also need people that have a clear understanding of useful use cases based on their experience, exposure to clients, etc. Having read some of your postings in the LAMS Community and the LD Book Study at moodle.org, I think you fit this profile perfectly ;-) So please don't hesitate to participate even if you are not a tech-head.

And your last question just perfectly exemplify this... as we -techos- never thought of having a Moodle server with two different instances of LAMS running.

So your comments are very much welcome and helpful!

Thanks,

Ernie

11: Sounds good!
In response to 10 02/19/06 10:25 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie,

Thanks for your encouragement. I will glady be part of the testing (yes, on a separate server) and I will keep using your excellent product and continue to point out ways that you can make it better. :-)

Dean

Posted by Dean Shankle

12: Re: LAMS 1.1 Workshop Presentation in London
In response to 1 02/20/06 11:33 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks for posting the slides -- great stuff as ever and I'm looking forward to the podcast! A few questions:

1. Is BlackBoard ever likely to figure as the subject of an External Tool Wrapper? (yes, we're a Bb shop here)

2. Let's suppose I wanted to develop a simple concept mapping tool to run under LAMS, what's the skill set required? Flash for the UI, Java for the server? Anything else? Will you be providing code for a get-you-started toy tool?

3. Where did the "Future of LAMS" part of the talk go to?

4. Wht are you going to do when you run out of names of famous sheep? :-)

Posted by Peter Miller

13: Re: Re: LAMS 1.1 Workshop Presentation in London
In response to 12 02/21/06 03:58 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Peter,

> 1. Is BlackBoard ever likely to figure as the subject of an
> External Tool Wrapper? (yes, we're a Bb shop here)

The tool wrappers will require Blackboard to modify some of their tool slightly. It's a tiny modification, but those are needed to communicate between both systems.

Since Blackboard is a propriety application, we are not able to modify their code.

Judging for the little to no support we've got from Blackboard, at the moment, any modifications or work together towards a better integrations seems unlikely.

> 2. Let's suppose I wanted to develop a simple concept
> mapping tool to run under LAMS, what's the skill set
> required? Flash for the UI, Java for the server? Anything
> else? Will you be providing code for a get-you-started toy
> tool?

The beauty of the new tool contract is that you don't need to know anything about Flash. All the authoring content for a tool now is done in HTML pages (when you double click on an activity in Authoring, instead of popping up a Flash screen, we now popup the tools JSP/HTML page to author its content).

Yes, we will provide a template for developers as guidance. We just need a bit more time to do this, but it'll be there.

> 3. Where did the "Future of LAMS" part of the talk go to?

We had an interesting discussion about the features we would like to have in the future versions of LAMS (1.2, 1.3, etc). Some of those included complicated dataflows, conditional branches, loops, etc.

> 4. Wht are you going to do when you run out of names of
> famous sheep?

Well, we were thinking of writing to the Pixar fellows so they can come with a new cartoon movie. Maybe a Smurfs-like cartoon based on a flock of sheep so we get lots of new charaters to choose from :-)

Actually, now that I think about it, that's what the Debian people did! ;-)

Thanks,

Ernie

14: LAMS 1.1 Workshop Podcast
In response to 1 02/21/06 11:04 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The fellows at the London Knowledge Lab have made the LAMS 1.1 Workshop Podcast available here.

Many thanks to Kevin Walker for this.

Ernie

15: Re: LAMS 1.1 Workshop Presentation in London
In response to 1 03/07/06 10:46 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie,

There are a couple of intriguing bullet points in your presentation that I'd love to hear more about. Could you please give us a little more detail about portfolios, lesson/design printouts, specialized/bundled activities, and "no more locked sequences"?

Thanks!

Posted by Michael Feldstein

16: Re: Re: LAMS 1.1 Workshop Presentation in London
In response to 15 03/09/06 07:01 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Michael,

Sure.

Portfolios

LAMS 1.1 allows you to export everything that you have done and seen while doing a sequence. As a student (in the learners interface), you are able to click on the sequences and export all the interactions, answers, contributions, etc that you've done while you were doing the sequence. The feature is called Export Portfolio as it exports a zipped file that contains all HTML files of all you've done.

In addition, Teachers can do the same from the monitor interfaces and instead of export just what a student has done, it exports *everything* that *all* students have done in a sequence. So the teacher has a record file with everything that happened within a running sequence (or a class).

Lesson/design printouts

One heavily requested features from teachers is the ability of printing a sequence detailing what the students are meant to do in each activity while they go thru the sequence.

It similar to the export portfolio, but this is a printout that you do *before* you run the sequence so you can give a copy to your teaching assistance or tutors to help them assist the students when they need to, or just to explain them "the plan" of the sequence.

Specialized/bundled activities

As you know in LAMS 1.0.x, we have activites like Chat&Scribe, Q&A + Notebook, Resources and Forum, etc. In LAMS 1.1, we have created special activities that work as containers for other activities.

One of example of these container actitivies is parallel activities, which allows you to create a new activity based on a combination of activities that you want.

For example, in LAMS 1.0.x you can use Resource and Forum... when a student gets to that activity, it can see the screen split in two frames where the top frame has a Share Resources activity and the bottom a Forum activity.

But maybe instead of a Forum activity for the bottom, you might want to use a Chat instead, or some other tool of your choice because that suits a better pedagogical need for you.

LAMS 1.1's "Parallel activity" container allows you to choose what type of activities you want to show running in paralel.

Also, we have a "Sequenced activities" container where you can bundle activities that you want to play in sequence, but to be presented as if they would only be one activity.

Now, I have to say that we won't have an interface to create this parallel and sequence activities as you wish on LAMS 1.1, but that will come in LAMS 1.2. Unfortunatelly, we ran out of time.

Nevertheless though, all the composed activities in LAMS 1.0.x (like Resources and Forum, Chat& Scribe, etc) those are all using our new parallel or sequenced activity containers.

LAMS 1.2 will have a nice interface to create parallel or sequenced activities directly in Authoring.

"No more locked sequences"

One of the really annoying things of LAMS 1.1 is that when you author a sequence and then assigned it to a class, you cannot longer change it in Authoring unless you create a copy of it. That's because once you assign the sequence to a class (group of students/people), then the sequence is considered "locked".

Why is this?... well, there are technical and educational reasons for this. From the educational side (and people can point out others if I miss any), you want to ensure consistency for all the students as they go thru a sequence. So if the first 5 students in the class have seen a question (say you have put a Q&A as the first activity) and after that you decided to change the question, then their answers could not longer be valid or in context. Also, the other students that will come after won't have the same experience as the first 5 fellows. Therefore the collaborating aspect that LAMS brings gets tarnished a bit.

Technically, imagine you want to get rid of an activity that people alredy have done in a design... that will make create a nightmare of inconsitent data all across.

Therefore, the whole locking stuff.

Now, LAMS 1.1 fixes all this by copying the content and design completely when you assign it to a class. That is, LAMS creates a complete copy of your design and content to run it with a class... leaving your original design alone. Therefore, you can go about modifying your original design as you wish without affecting the running copy.

Now, knowing you Michael, I know you are thinking... "but what if I do want to change the running copy of the design!"

Well, LAMS 1.2 will help you do that. You will be able to change the content *and* the design as long as no student has reached the part of the design you wish to change. If a student has reached that activity that you wanted to change, you can't. This will be done thru the Monitor interface.

I hope this answers the questions... please let me know otherwise.

Thanks,

Ernie

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum