Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Problem with Journal - can it not remain active?

Search: 

2: Re: Problem with Journal - can it not remain active?
In response to 1 09/24/06 04:24 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
G'day K,

In LAMS 1.0.2, you could use the Notebook that's always present under the Progress bar (the left frame on the learner's page -see notebook1.jpg attachment).

In the notebook you can make annotation for yourself and also write up comments for your teachers to see as well (the teacher can view those notes in Monitor). You can view all these notes by clicking on the View All button (see notebook2.jpg attachment).

In LAMS 2.0, the actual activity Notebook does come with "Lock when finished" feature, so the students can go back to this activity and keep adding to their existing notes as much as they like even when the lesson has been completed.

Hope that helps.

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Attachments:
3: Re: Re: Problem with Journal - can it not remain active?
By: k rice
In response to 2 09/25/06 08:56 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie, thanks for coming to the rescue again. I just discovered the notebook feature last night but when I go into 'Monitor mode' then look at the ‘contribute’ panel (where the notebook data should be I think) when I click the open button under; ’Review public notebooks’ the panel is blank - just the 'print' button is visible along with the words 'All Journal Entries for...my test' (just so you know I saved my sequence in the public folder if this makes a difference). The Monitor can view the ‘notebooks’ … am I right?

I could use some help figuring this out.

Cheers

Posted by k rice

4: Re: Re: Re: Problem with Journal - can it not remain active?
In response to 3 09/25/06 11:47 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi K,

There are two types of notebook entries, the ones students keep for themselves while runnning a sequence, or Journal entries that students can share with their teachers. If students save a note as a Journal entry, then the teacher is able to see it in the contribute tab in Monitor, as you mentioned before.

Have a look at this animation that shows how this work for the student. And also this other one that shows how the teacher see them in Monitor.

Hope that helps.

Ernie

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem with Journal - can it not remain active?
By: k rice
In response to 4 09/26/06 02:20 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hello Ernie, sorry I couldn’t get the first movie (this animation) to run.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but am I right when I say if a student saves a notebook entry as ‘Journal’ they can no longer open up and edit/augment the original notebook entry it was derived from. I created two notes in the notebook and then saved the second one to the journal. If I do this I can now see the entry on the ‘Contribute’ tab in ‘Monitor’ mode. However as mentioned this second note becomes a journal entry and looks like it can’t be edited.

On the ‘Contribute’ tab it says 'All public journal and notebook entries for all users'. It seems strange that only journal entries seem to display here - am I missing something?

Cheers

Posted by k rice

6: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem with Journal - can it not remain active?
In response to 5 09/27/06 06:46 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi K,

> sorry I couldn’t get the first movie (this animation) to run.

Hmm... that's odd. Can you go to the LAMS Interactive Tutorials and click on the Using LAMS as Learner [English] link instead? Maybe you can try with another browser if the issue continues?

Yes, you are correct. Once the student makes his notes as Journal note, they cannot be edited anymore. However, he can add more notes, of course.

The reasons that we have two types of notes is that students might want to take notes on some of his thoughts for themselves but not necessarily share those with the teachers... unless it's necessary. If they opt to do so, they can tag these as Journal entries.

Thanks,

Ernie

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum