Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: File/Folder management: How to delete Run time sequences (read only)

Search: 

2: Re: File/Folder management: How to delete Run time sequences (read only)
In response to 1 04/11/07 08:04 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Nicolai,

In the My Groups folder, you will find a folder for each course or class you have in LAMS. When you create a new course/group in LAMS, automatically a sub-folder group will be created under the "My Groups" folder.

The rationale behind this is that all teachers within a course will have a common space or folder where they can collaborate and their sequences that they will use for the course. For instance, a lecturer can put in there sequences that he wants his tutors to use for their tutorial classes.

Additionally, the "Run Sequences" folder is also created automatically. In this folder, LAMS will put the running copies of sequences that you run with students for this course. These copies cannot be deleted as they are -as their name suggested, running instances of the sequences.

I believe the reason you might want to delete these is because probably when you try to add a lesson into your Moodle course page, if you have a lot of sequences in use, the My Groups folder will have a looong list of them there. This might be confusing to some people (specially if they haven't use LAMS before).

Anthony Sukkar, who has been working on all the LAMS2 integrations, has now changed the integration code so the My Groups folder is collapsed when first displayed. That will give people a bit less to get distracted :-)

I hope that helps,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: File/Folder management: How to delete Run time sequences (read only)
In response to 2 04/12/07 03:28 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks Ernie,

I get the message. The reason why I want to delete some files/folders is really that I want to get rid of a lot of test runs, not holding any relevant info and fogging the looks of the file/folder tree...

1)
So there is no possibility to have a cleanup at all for obsolete runs? For database and space management reasons this is tricky..

2)
Should it not be nore intuitive and just, when a lesson or learning activity from Moodle is removed, also the runtimes in LAMS are removed (or by choice)?

Kind regards,
Nicolai

Posted by Nicolai van der Woert

4: Re: Re: Re: File/Folder management: How to delete Run time sequences (read only)
In response to 3 04/15/07 04:05 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Nicolai,

You can remove them for the database for sure.

But at the moment, we don't have an option to remove runtime copies. The main reason we didn't have this option first, it's because we *just* introduced in 2.0 the option for teachers to view the running version of a lesson.

In 1.0.x, it was even worse, as once a teacher started a lesson the actual sequence file was "locked" and couldn't be modified in Authoring. Which meant that if the teacher wanted use a modify version of this sequence, he needed to make a copy of this one and then modify it... truly annoying.

The other advantage of keeping this running sequences, is that it allows you to see how a sequence might be develop over time. As teacher, you might want to go back into the last semester folder and see how your sequence was when you ran it in the past.

At any rate, if you think we should have an option to delete this running sequence, where do you think this options should be?

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum