Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Can multiple Forum activities share the same Forum?

You may request notification for Can multiple Forum activities share the same Forum?.
Search: 

1: Can multiple Forum activities share the same Forum?
06/20/07 06:54 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I want to create a sequence in which students contribute to a forum, do other activities, and then add to the same forum. A naive test created a second forum (without any message from the first session). Is there a way to do this?

While I'm wishing for things for the Forum tool could it have the FCKEditor? And could posts optionally have attachments (very much like this Forum tool)?

Also,

Best,

-ken

Posted by Ken Kahn

2: Re: Can multiple Forum activities share the same Forum?
In response to 1 06/20/07 07:12 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
My last question ("And could posts optionally have attachments (very much like this Forum tool)?") is answered by using the Forum and Share Resources together. Sorry about that.

Best,

-ken

Posted by Ken Kahn

3: Re: Re: Can multiple Forum activities share the same Forum?
In response to 2 06/21/07 01:57 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
There is no way to have the same Forum appear at multiple points in the sequence. You need to leave the Forum set to "Lock when finished" off (which is the default) and when you want the learners to continue the discussion, put up a noticeboard that says "Go back to the BLAH Forum activity and discuss this further".

I know this isn't what you really want, but that's what I can offer at the moment.

Something that has been requested by users is the ability to have a "floating" activities, which is an activity that is attached to the lesson and is always available to the learner throughout the lesson, but isn't in the sequence flow. While that would be nice, I'm not going to make any commitments about when we'd do it!

But I can help you with the FCKEditor wish. Turn on "Allow learners to use rich text editor" in the Advanced tab and the Forum should now show the FCKEditor. Some of the features of the editor are restricted e.g. users can't upload pictures within the FCKEditor like you can in authoring.

When you turn on this option, the learners are no longer restricted in the lengths of the post, although there is a limit (very very large) in the database!

Also, learners should be able to attach files. At the end of the Editing page (e.g. Reply Message) in learning, there is an "Attachment" section.

This is designed for just the occasional attachment though. If you want the learners sharing lots of files, web links, etc and simultaneously discussing the resources, then the combined Forum and Share Resources is better.

Have a look at the attached screenshots.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Attachments:
6: Folating avtivities
In response to 3 10/17/07 05:47 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yeah, floating activities wolud be great. How about turning on/off FINISH button in Advanced tab (author). No button means that student can always get into one-activity-lesson like forum or noticeboard...

Posted by Adam Stecyk

8: Re: Re: Re: Can multiple Forum activities share the same Forum?
In response to 3 05/07/09 09:28 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The Documentation for the Floating Activities is available on the Wiki.

Support Activities (as they are now called) will be available in LAMS v2.3 and above.

- http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lamsdocs/Support+Activities

Posted by Jeremy Page

4: Re: Can multiple Forum activities share the same Forum?
In response to 1 06/21/07 06:22 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
As Fiona mentions, you can leave a past Forum open (ie, not "Locked when finished"), and then direct people back to this with a later Noticeboard (in which case, Learners double click on the earlier Forum to open it in a new window).

The feature I would like to have one day is a kind of "Load Previous Tool" feature - which would allow you to insert a special kind of tool into the sequence in the place where the Noticeboard would go (in the above example), and this feature could be set to load a previous tool at this point in a sequence (so long as its not locked).

Ernie and I have discussed this from time to time, and would like to do it, but there are some challenges to sort out. For example:
- If you wanted to provide new instructions ("Now discuss how your views have changed to before...") how/where would you do this?
- When you reload the tool - do you make a complete copy of the earlier tool (including student comments) and start from this? Or do you "use" the earlier tool twice?
- What constitutes "task completion" for the later version of the tool (ie, you've already clicked "Finished" the first time, so what do you do here? Task completion is important so that LAMS knows to present the next activity to you).

I don't think these are insurmountable, but they need a bit of careful thought - would welcome any feedback on this.

From a pedagogical point of view, teachers often create a set of activities that involved returning to prior tasks for further discussion/reflection - so our current failure to capture this dimension of teaching in LAMS Authoring is a significant gap (in terms of a comprehensive "meta-model" of pedagogical structures).

Posted by James Dalziel

5: Re: Can multiple Forum activities share the same Forum?
In response to 1 06/23/07 11:06 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ken,

If you really really want, this you can do this:

1.- Author a sequence with a forum and a noticeboard.
2.- Set the noticeboard to be "define later"
3.- Start a lesson
4.- Login as learner into the lesson and copy the URL of the forum (note that you want the URL for the frame that loads the forum)
5.- Go into Monitor for this lesson and double click on the Noticeboard
6.- Click on Edit Activity and in the FCKEditor switch to HTML editing and add:

<iframe src="paste-here-the-url" width="100%"></iframe>

7.- Save and that should do quite alright.

If you want to add new instructions for this same forum, you can add them above the <iframe>.

Hope that helps,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

7: Re: Re: Can multiple Forum activities share the same Forum?
In response to 5 10/18/07 08:20 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yeah, floating activities wolud be great. How about turning on/off FINISH button in Advanced tab (author). No button means that student can always get into one-activity-lesson like forum or noticeboard... What do you think about that ?

Posted by Adam Stecyk

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum