Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Lesson Portfolio

Search: 

2: Re: Lesson Portfolio
In response to 1 10/15/07 02:07 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> When I export lesson portfolio, no pictures (.jpg files) and flash animations (.swf files) are attached. (noticeboard
> activity). (the same problem exists in student portfolio).

If these are picture shown in the instructions fields (using the HTML editor), yes, they aren't being exported yet. We are fixing this. However, it's not a trivial task... actually it's a big headache but it'll get fix.

> I have also problem with opening documents (.doc files) sent by students (send files activity) after exporting
> portfolio.

Can you give us more info about this? Is it when the files contain spaces or non English characters? or ..?

> MCQ activity (let's say 20 questions)...

Would you be able to send me the sequence so I can have a try how it looks?

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: Lesson Portfolio
In response to 2 10/16/07 12:14 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I attach portfolio, but it's in polish, so
Weryfikacja - this is a wide column problem (MCQ activity)
Wyślij pliki - this is a send file problem

Posted by Adam Stecyk

Attachments:
4: Re: Re: Re: Lesson Portfolio
In response to 3 10/16/07 12:18 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I try to download portfolio file - to use it u have to change the name (portfolio) to portfolio.zip

Posted by Adam Stecyk

6: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lesson Portfolio
In response to 4 10/16/07 06:57 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Now the problem with opening the documents. I agree there are problems here but we need to work out exactly where the problems are happening before we can fix them.

If you unzip the Portfolio file and have a look in the Activity1162 folder, you will find a directory for each user.

If I try opening the file from katarzyna.drewniak's folder, I can open the file in Word. It won't open from the link in the HTML page as the filename is different to the link. The link has "%C4%86wiczenia%20pod%20nazw%C4%85%20Zadanie%20nr%201.doc" which becomes "Ćwiczenia pod nazwą Zadanie nr 1.doc" in Firefox. But the file on disk is "ƒÜwiczenia pod nazwƒÖ Zadanie nr 1.doc". So there is an issue here with the UTF-8 encoding of filenames.

Could you go into the monitoring screen for the "Wyślij pliki" activity and try downloading Katarzyna's file from the monitoring screen? Can you open the file that way? What is the file called when you download it that way? Do you know what the name of the original file was (before it was uploaded)?

I can't open any of the other files in the Activity1162 folders, even if I open them directly from the folder. Word tells me that they are invalid files. Are you able to open any of them? If you go to the monitoring screen, can you open any of them from there?

Would it be possible for you to send us one of these files or a similar file with the original Polish filename? That is, without the name being corrupted by LAMS. Then we can test uploading them ourselves and see what happens.

I'm raising this problem as this bug.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lesson Portfolio
In response to 6 10/17/07 01:35 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I can open all the files in Monitor (send file activity)
The original filename was "Zadanie nr 1.doc" as you can see there are no polish letters.
When I download this file in Moinitor it has the same name.
I can't open files in portfolio folder - word tells me that the file is corrupted...
I attach a file with polish letters

Posted by Adam Stecyk

Attachments:
10: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lesson Portfolio
In response to 8 10/17/07 01:45 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks!

Sounds like LAMS is saving them correctly internally but the files are corrupting when the export portfolio is done.

I'll have a play with this file tomorrow and see if I can reproduce the problems.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

5: Re: Re: Lesson Portfolio
In response to 2 10/16/07 06:35 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The MCQ problem with columns going off the page. We have no easy solution to this problem. If we swap rows and columns, then when you have more than 7 students, it would be the students that go off the side of the page, rather than the questions.

If we listed each learner separately and gave their answers, then you don't have a simple visual way to look down the list to see who got one question right or wrong.

If we listed the learner's answers under each question, then you don't have a simple visual way to look down the list to see what questions a learner got wrong.

What we can do is make each column a bit narrower by moving the mark underneath the question number. We'll try to do this for the next version of LAMS.

We are intending to add an option to download a spreadsheet of marks from Multiple Choice. This is planned for the future, but not for the next release. This file will be included in the teacher's export portfolio and may be easier to read than the table in the HTML page. Would that help?

Does anyone else have any suggestions or comments on how to display the list of learner's marks?

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

7: Re: Re: Re: Lesson Portfolio
In response to 5 10/16/07 07:25 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> What we can do is make each column a bit narrower by moving the mark underneath the question number. We'll try to do this for the next version of LAMS.

It seems to me this info is a bit redundant, since each question number and it's value is already listed earlier on the page. Instead of the column header saying 'Question 1 (Marks: 1)' or even

Question 1
Marks: 1

Couldn't it just be '1'? It would reduce a lot of the column width (for this case at least). The text 'Question/s' could be put in a table header spanning all the question columns.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

9: Re: Re: Re: Lesson Portfolio
In response to 5 10/17/07 02:00 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I guess that you can present questions on several pages.
let's say there are 20 questions (5 questions per page).
The other issue is a quick view of statistics for teacher.
total number of questions - stundent's name - correct/incorrect answers. That information should be on top.
Next problem: when I try to get into MCQ activity (20 questions) in Monitor (sequence tab) it won't open. I waited about 10 minutes and it didn't work. (Internet connection is very good, so this is not a problem)

I have two additional questions and I don't want to create new topic becouse the answers are probably very simple:
1. How to delete user/subgroup/group completly from the system ? (I don't want to see them at all, not only to disable them)
2. (Author) When I upload new wersion of swf. file how can I delete the old one from database. is that possible only in MySQL ?

Posted by Adam Stecyk

11: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lesson Portfolio
In response to 9 10/17/07 05:12 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The MCQ Activity not loading problem: I suspect it is a performance issue with MCQ. The next release will include some performance enhancements to MCQ as it wasn't very efficient in its database access in monitoring and learning. We have no quick fix we can offer unless we give you some of the updated code, but that would make your upgrade to 2.1 more complicated.

Would you be able to export the sequence and send it to me. Then I can try running it locally and see if 2.1 will be any better. If you don't want to make it publicly available then email it to me directly?

How can you delete user/etc? You can't. For the user, if you create them and delete them straight away then they will delete. But as soon as they are linking to a learning design or a lesson you can only disable them. And when a user runs preview, this creates a hidden lesson.

At the moment we don't actually delete lessons - when you "delete" them they are still in the database. So you can't delete a user linked to a lesson for data integrity reasons.

For groups/subgroups the removed status is as close as you can get to deleted. We considered whether or not to do the same as lesson - when you mark it removed hide it completely on the user interface but not remove it from the database. We decided that as it only showed on the group administration screens and removing a group by accident could have a very large impact, we wouldn't remove them altogether on the group admin screens. But if a group is marked as removed, then it shouldn't appear in any of the normal user screens.

Deleting an new version of a swf? Do you mean when you upload them via the HTML editor? If so, then the path to delete them at the moment is very hard. The swf file is kept on disk in the repository (c:/lams/repository or /var/opt/lams/repository I think) with just a numeric id. So you have to go hunting through the database to work out the numeric id, convert that id to the appropriate directory name and the delete the file.

We have been asked to allow people to delete files like this - we didn't allow it originally as learning designs can share the files and we didn't want people accidentally deleting something that would affect another design. We will look into this for a future of LAMS.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

12: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lesson Portfolio
In response to 11 10/18/07 08:16 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
So as I can see there's actually no way do delete stuff from lams :))). I guess it would be better if control is more flexible. (I mean adding/deleting) well, that's my opinion.
I attach lesson portfolio.
Thanku you for your answers

Posted by Adam Stecyk

13: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lesson Portfolio
In response to 12 10/18/07 08:18 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
there was server error, so I send portfolio once again

Posted by Adam Stecyk

14: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lesson Portfolio
In response to 13 10/18/07 08:18 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
well, let me try once again...