Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: tracking teacher usage

Search: 

2: Re: tracking teacher usage
In response to 1 03/30/08 06:07 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Glen,

What sort of teacher tracking are you after? Can you give us some examples?

In LAMS 2.x we track a few things related to teacher. For instance if a teacher changes an entry that a student did in a Chat (from Monitor) we record the original chat message, the changed messaged, the time of the event, and the teacher that has done the changes.

I think with awstats you would be able to track down individual teachers and number of times they gave accessed monitor or author.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: tracking teacher usage
In response to 2 03/30/08 07:40 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
It was tracking how often teachers had logged in to LAMS and how often they had been into author and monitor. In awstats we can get overall figures of the use of the likes of /lams/authoring/author.do but not broken down by individual teachers - as the users are authenticated via the lams database rather than apache I am picking that awstats would not have access to any individual user details via the apache log. Is this type of access data stored in the lams database?

Thanks
Regards
Glen

Posted by Glen Davies

4: Re: Re: Re: tracking teacher usage
In response to 3 03/31/08 12:04 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Glen,

We don't store anything like this for any user in LAMS. We talked about recording whether or not someone has ever logged in but I can't remember if we even did that!

But if you have a look at <jboss>/server/default/log/localhost_access_log.*.log then you will see the individual calls with the user's user id (similar to apache logs). If you look through that you should be able to find the  /lams/authoring/author.do,  /lams/monitoring/monitorLesson.jsp,  /lams/monitoring/addLesson.jsp, etc in that log. I don't know if awstats will read the format of the JBoss access log - I suspect it will if you do some tweaking.

Don't try to do counts based on anything with .swf - these are the Flash movies and should be cached in the browser so they won't be downloaded every time.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum