Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Notebook error, please wait for the teacher to compelte the contents of this activity.

Search: 

13: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Notebook error, please wait for the teacher to compelte the contents of this activity.
In response to 12 05/06/09 06:16 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yes, Caroline and I both tried that from the Monitor screen.

Later I looked inside the Authoring screen and the database and the activity was not set to define later.

It is "read only" in authoring, not sure how or why it is in that state.

I was going to look into the source to see what condition triggers that message, but I haven't had a chance to do that yet.

Posted by Dave Bauer

14: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Notebook error, please wait for the teacher to compelte the contents of this activity.
In response to 13 05/06/09 06:57 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Dave,

The issue about being read-only is because that's on the run-sequences folder.

When you create a lesson, LAMS creates a copy of the original sequence and puts it in the run-sequences folder for that course. The purpose of creating a copy is so that you can reuse the original sequence as much as you like without affecting the running instances of itself.

The running copy (in the run-sequence folder) is a readonly design from the point of view of LAMS Author. Because you don't want people to edit the design from Authoring as that's a *running* sequence. You can however edit the running design from monitor:

1.- Editing the content of existing activities (as i mentioned above)
2.- Changing the actual design (with Live Edit).

Anyway, that begs the question: "why do I have access to the run-sequences folder from author?". Well, say you modified your design a lot since you create a lesson... you can go back to the run-folder and see the designs as you run them with different courses.

Although when you open them from Author these sequences are read-only, you can "Save As" in your personal folder to get a copy of that running instance.

Hope that helps.

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum