Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: LAMS 1.0.2 Released!

You may request notification for LAMS 1.0.2 Released!.
Search: 

1: LAMS 1.0.2 Released!
11/10/05 03:20 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Dear LAMS fellows,

It's my pleasure to announced that LAMS 1.0.2 is finally out :-) wooohoo!!

You can find all the information and the downloads about it at the LAMS Foundation site:

http://lamsfoundation.org/downloads

What's new on 1.0.2:

1.- HTML Noticeboard

We have added a new LAMS activity tool that allows teachers to use HTML code to their Noticeboards. For instance, teachers can now add pictures to your Noticeboards (as long as those pictures are somewhere on the web). Additionally, since they can insert any HTML tag they can have very rich and neat interfaces (Flash movies, videos, applets, etc) and add JavaScripts to create dynamic web pages.

2.- Integration hooks

The LAMS team has done extensive integration work in the past few months. As part of this work, we have not redesigned some major parts of LAMS so it can be used as a tool in Moodle, Blackboard, Sakai, .LRN, WebCT, uPortal, etc.
With LAMS 1.0.2, you can now use LAMS in conjunction with all major Learning Management Systems.

3.- LAMS Community Integration

Now you can integrate your LAMS server to the LAMS Community seamlessly.

If you set your LAMS server to be integrated with the LAMS Community, all your teacher will be able to see LAMS Community content as soon as they login to your LAMS server.

4.- 'Lighter' and improved installers and documentation

The new set of installers for Windows, Mac OS X and Unix are now a third of the side as the one before as they do not longer bundle all the pre-required software making them easier to download and set up than before.
Improved documentation on installation is now provided. Also free support and assistance is available in the LAMS Community.

5.- A Mac OS X installer (finally!)

Finally we have a really easy to use Mac OS X installer for OS X 10.3.x and 10.4.x.

Full installation documentation and also guides on how to install all the prerequisite software is provided. In addition, free support and assistance is available in the LAMS Community.

6.- Lots of bug fixes, technology upgrades and much more!

We have fix lots of small bugs and improve functionality and performance all around LAMS. Additionally, new technologies like web services have been added to support integrations and much more.

--

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

2: Re: LAMS 1.0.2 Released!
In response to 1 11/10/05 06:24 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie,

Excellent!

Thank you,

Dean

Posted by Dean Shankle

3: Upgrade from LAMS 1.0.1 to 1.0.2
In response to 1 11/10/05 05:36 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
One thing I forgot to mention. If you already have LAMS 1.0.1 installed in Windows, you need to use the LAMS upgrader (not the new installer).

You can find the upgrader here:

http://lamsinternational.com/downloads/updates.php?version=1.0.1

Thanks,

Ernie

4: Re: Upgrade from LAMS 1.0.1 to 1.0.2
In response to 3 11/10/05 09:27 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie - just tried to update a Windows 1.0.1 install - message saying update failed and it then rolled back to the original 1.0.1 - which appears to be working without issues - one thing - it is using Apache as the web server

Posted by Phil Purling

5: Re: Re: Upgrade from LAMS 1.0.1 to 1.0.2
In response to 4 11/10/05 09:47 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
G'day Phil,

The upgrader will not upgrade if something goes wrong in the updating process. So you won't loose data or end up with a half 1.0.1/2 or malfunctioning installation.

The most common reason the upgrader might failed is because the LAMS MySQL database password was changed. Could that be the case for you?

Could you check if you can access the LAMS database in MySQL manually?

The fact that you are running Apache should not affect the upgrader.

Ernie

6: Re: Re: Re: Upgrade from LAMS 1.0.1 to 1.0.2
In response to 5 11/11/05 12:33 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie

Yes - I can connect to the LAMSONE database - the password on this instance of LAMS is the not very original password of password

Posted by Phil Purling

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Upgrade from LAMS 1.0.1 to 1.0.2
In response to 6 11/14/05 01:35 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Phil,

I just created this morning a new upgrade guide (http://lamsinternational.com/documentation/1.0.2_upgrader/).

Could you have a look and tell me if you did anything different from the stuff in there? That might help me figure out where the problem is.

Thanks,

Ernie

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Upgrade from LAMS 1.0.1 to 1.0.2
In response to 7 11/14/05 11:49 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie

We probably have the solution (reason) for the problem when upgrading - the LAMS splash screen has 1.0.1, not 1.0.1(Voichi) as the version.

Whats the best way forward - uninstall???

Phil

Posted by Phil Purling

9: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Upgrade from LAMS 1.0.1 to 1.0.2
In response to 8 11/15/05 07:23 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hey Phil,

The screen that shows the LAMS version and build is the index.jsp page (the one that has the Author|Monitor|Learner buttons... *not* the login page. Is that the one you are refering as the "LAMS splash screen"?

If indeed you are running something prior to 1.0.1 Yoichi then we have two options

1) A manual upgrade (see Manual upgrade guide)

2) Export your sequences, reinstall LAMS 1.0.2 from scratch and reimport your sequence. However, this one will complete nuke all your previous users, users interactions, activity info, etc.

But before you go for any of those, can you confirm the build?

Thanks,

Ernie

10: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Upgrade from LAMS 1.0.1 to 1.0.2
In response to 9 11/15/05 05:46 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie

Too late - I've uninstalled 1.0.1 (I was looking at the password screen - so it probably was Yoichi) and have since installed 1.0.2 - which is working well - it was only a "play" server so there was little data worth preserving - I guess we'll never know why the upgrade failed

Phil

Posted by Phil Purling

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum