Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: WebDAV on LAMScommunity.org?

Search: 

2: Re: WebDAV on LAMScommunity.org?
In response to 1 11/14/05 01:15 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Michael,

We thought about it when we were putting together the LAMS Community.

However, despite the technical issues of setting it up all, I think the main problem is the lack of metadata currently available in exported LAMS sequences.

If you have a look inside a LAMS sequence (the .las file you get when exporting a sequence) you'll see that is an XML file that describes all the activities, transtions, data, etc. BUT, it's missing semantic metadata that we could use to search and discover it. Currently the only info we could potentially use is the description (which in most cases is not even there).

In LAMS 1.1 there's a neat interface to add contextual information for a sequence. Hopefully that will encourage people to go the extra mile adding this useful info so if we have a WebDAV interface to the LAMS Community, you can just shoot your sequences from your desktop. Or even from your LAMS server.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: How about just easy download, then?
In response to 2 11/16/05 09:00 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
That all makes sense, Ernie. For the short term, I'm more concerned about making download easy and seamless and less concerned about the extra steps in the upload. What I'd like to see is the ability for "File...Import" to give me as easy access to the LAMS community sequences as "File...Open" does for local files.

Posted by Michael Feldstein

4: Re: How about just easy download, then?
In response to 3 11/17/05 01:21 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Michael,

Yes, it will be really nice to be able to view/open LAMS sequences stored in the LAMS Community directly from LAMS Authoring.

In the meanwhile, you can have a look at the integration we have done between LAMS Community and LAMS 1.0.2. Now in LAMS 1.0.2 you can opt to have your LAMS instance integrated with the LAMS Community.

Once you login into your LAMS server, you have the option to login in the LAMS Community as well, which automatically will give you access to LAMS sequences, resources, news, etc.

When you enter your LAMS Community login details in your LAMS server, you can also opt to get them stored in your local LAMS so next time you login to your LAMS server, automatically logs you into the LAMS Community.

See pictures attached.

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Attachments:
5: Re: Re: How about just easy download, then?
In response to 4 11/17/05 09:08 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yes, I have LAMS 1.0.2 set up and it is automatically logging me in to the LAMS community. That's precisely what is making me crave tighter integration. It's great to be able to see and download sequences, but the two-step process of downloading from the community and then importing is not quite at the same level of usability excellence as LAMS itself.

That's the trouble with integration, I guess. Once you have it, it makes you hunger for more.

Posted by Michael Feldstein

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum