Forum Higher Ed & Training Forum: Underpinning Discussion?

You may request notification for Underpinning Discussion?.
Search: 

1: Underpinning Discussion?
03/17/06 11:32 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi All

I am playing with LAMS and getting an understanding of how to sequence a series of activities.

However, what if I want a 'general' support discussion area, not necessarily sequenced in with the main set of learning activities?

What would be the best way of doing this?

Many thanks

Richard

Posted by Richard Standen

2: Re: Underpinning Discussion?
In response to 1 03/17/06 02:37 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
This would be of interest to us as well. In our course environment, a link is embedded at the bottom of each activity in a sequence (or "module", in our terminology). The link, labeled "Ask a question", spawns a new thread in the discussion forum that is associated with the sequence. Having a general discussion forum for a given sequence would be helpful; having one that can be linked off of every activity in the sequence would be even better.

Posted by Michael Feldstein

3: Re: Underpinning Discussion?
In response to 1 03/19/06 04:02 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Richard, Michael,

One of the features we've been discussing for a while now is the ability to have non-sequenced activities within a sequence.

The idea is to have one or a set of activities that students can always do or go into at any time while they are running a sequence.

We have sketched the author and learner's interfaces to demonstrate how we are thinking in this regard.

In the links, you'll see that the author interface shows a set of sequences activities as well as three non-sequenced activities. Then, when a sequence is assigned to a class, students will see the activities within a sequence as well as the "Optional Activities" (which might not be the final name as it contradicts the existing Optional Activities), which they can jump into at anytime regardless of what part of the sequence they are in.

So in this case, you can have a Forum as you guys need, but also any other activity or set of activities as well.

Now in LAMS 1.0.x, you still can have Forums -as part of a sequence- where students can always go back to and keep posting/reading messages regardless of whether they have finished the activity. While editing the content for a Forum in Authoring, you will see the Option "Lock when finished". If this option is not checked, then LAMS will allow students to come back to this Forum and keep posting messages, even if the student has completed the whole sequence.

Note that the difference with 1.0.x is that the Forum is part of the sequence. Whereas the previous approach the activities are more support or reference activities that aren't sequenced.

Any ideas and or comments are very welcome.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

4: Re: Underpinning Discussion?
In response to 1 03/19/06 04:39 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie, I love this capability as you have intantiated it in the interface. (By the way, is this planned for 1.1, 1.2, or beyond?)

That said, I think there are some special cases that are worth considering. There are times when you want to encourage meta conversations about an activity, a sequence, or a curriculum of sequences. These conversations could be either one-to-one (i.e., a note from the student to the professor) or one-to-many (i.e., a post on a shared discussion thread). For now, let's focus on the latter family of use cases.

If I want to have a a meta-conversation capability at the sequence level, then the Optional Activities capability as you have it mocked up works great. Students can go post questions or observations in the optional discussion board at any time and faculty can pose over-arching conversation topics to be maintained as running discourse throughout the sequence.

One might also want to have focused conversations connected to a particular activity, most commonly in cases where students are asking for clarification around the activity or the related content. Ideally, this would be a one-to-many conversation, since other students may have the same questions. And it would be easy to access from within the activity itself. It may be that having the "optional" forum one click away is adequate. However, it would be particularly slick if there were a capability to attach what amounts to a thread-starting capability automatically to the bottom of every activity. Clicking on an "ask a question" icon might take the students directly to a new post screen in the "optional" discussion board and assign a default subject line or category to the post that links it to the activity the student was in. This might be overkill in the LAMS interface, though we find it to be useful in our own homegrown system.

In the final use case in this group, one might want a discussion board at the class level, i.e., at the level above any individual sequence that makes up the course curriculum. In general, this may be a function you decide to delegate to the integrating LMS. (That would be my inclination.) But it raises a more general question about the degree to which LAMS should provide either communication or monitoring capabilities above the sequence level. At the very least, I would argue that LAMS should provide course-level roll-up reporting of student progress in and submissions to the various sequences in the course.

But I digress. The main question is whether the need to allow student-initiated group discussions around an activity is strong enough and unique enough to merit special treatment of some sort. What do you think?

Posted by Michael Feldstein

5: Re: Re: Underpinning Discussion?
In response to 4 03/19/06 05:33 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I have used that option of just setting a forum as a 'sequence' on its own. This can be used for those more general questions or that meta understanding as you were suggestiong Michael. It sits outside the other sequences and works at a more general level. Students contribute as questions arise or ideas surface.

You could add 'chat' as well so if students want to get together and share ideas more synchronously they can choose either chat or forum.

Posted by Robyn Philip

6: Re: Re: Re: Underpinning Discussion?
In response to 5 03/19/06 06:02 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yes, my thought was the same as Robyn's - you can always have a second sequence running which has just a single Forum in it (and *not* "lock when finished"). Students then access this from the list of Available Sequences in the Learner interface. This would work fine for simple contexts where you're using LAMS on its own, or separate from any other portal or LMS-like system.

Michael's comments go more to the heart of how LAMS integrates with related learning systems like portals/LMS. I think there will be a number of ways this will be done in the future, so I'm hoping that the next generation of LAMS (currently called V1.1, but in a few months we're going to rename this to V2.0 - fyi) will provide flexible integration options.

You can already see indications of this in the LAMS to LMS integrations we've done. Students click on a link in their LMS course page to jump straight into the relevant LAMS sequence; so you could have a second link to a LAMS Forum (running as a sequence with just one activity - Forum) on the LMS course page, and then you wouldn't need to ever see the "Available Sequences" page. I expect that as LAMS evolves, it will provide (at least) two options: a top level listing page (like Available Sequences) for those who use LAMS stand alone; and URL links to sequences that can be incorporated into the portal/LMS.

All this is applies to contexts where you want a Forum outside an individual sequence - such as a meta-level discussion area. I'd see this as different to Ernie's comments about non-sequenced Forums inside a sequence - which is also a great idea. I think this feature would be useful for when you want a Forum inside a sequence (ie, for discussion just about the sequence topic, not a meta-level discussion), but not within a structured flow of tasks. This would be particularly useful in contexts where students find too much structure to be constraining/limiting (I know this issue has come up with use of LAMS at Oxford).

Posted by James Dalziel

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Higher Ed & Training Forum