Forum Higher Ed & Training Forum: Submit files activity problem

You may request notification for Submit files activity problem.
Search: 

1: Submit files activity problem
08/29/09 01:21 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
It appears that it is not possible to have 2 “submit files” activities in the same sequence. I am attempting to develop a sequence where my students can submit a draft of their paper, allow me to view it and provide comments back to them and finally allow them to revise their paper and submit a final version.

This seems like a quite typical sequence of events that instructors may want to perform. Is this possible in LAMS? I assume that this limitation is because the “submit files” activity is monitored under the “sequence” tab rather than the “learners” tab in the lesson monitor.

The limitation of one “submit files” activity to a sequence also means that instructors are not able to assign different assignments to different groups within a single sequence.

If it is not possible to have multiple “submit files” activities in one sequence is it at least possible to have the completion of one sequence automatically open a second sequence?

Posted by Neal Hirsig

2: Re: Submit files activity problem
In response to 1 08/29/09 02:49 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I must be missing something very fundamental.

It appears that it is also not possible to have more than one “Assessment Activity” within a single sequence or more than one “Multiple Choice Activity” within a single sequence. Oddly, it is also not possible to have an “Assessment Activity” and a “Multiple Choice Activity” within the same sequence.

I am not sure I understand. What is the sense of being able to divide your class into groups if you are not allowed to assign different assessments or different multiple choice quizzes to individual groups?

Posted by Neal Hirsig

4: Re: Re: Submit files activity problem
In response to 2 08/29/09 04:14 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I'm not so sure what you mean by "not possible to have more than one "Assessment Activity" in a sequence" as in LAMS, in a sequence you can have as many activities of any kind until you run out of space to drop them in the sequence.

Not so sure how familiar you are with the authoring environment. In the documentation wiki, there are some easy animated tutorials on how author monitor and other tools.

> What is the sense of being able to divide your class into groups if you are not allowed to assign different assessments
> or different multiple choice quizzes to individual groups?

Yes you can. Have a look at Branching based on groups. Put your students into group and then assign each group to a branch... each branch can contain any sequence of activities within it (including different assessments).

Have a look at the documentation wiki for other types of branching.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Submit files activity problem
In response to 1 08/29/09 04:03 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Neal,

> It appears that it is not possible to have 2 “submit files” activities in the same sequence.

Of course it is. Have a look at the attached example (example1.zip and picture)

> I am attempting to develop a sequence where my students can submit a draft of their paper, allow me to view it and
> provide comments back to them and finally allow them to revise their paper and submit a final version.

The example1.zip sequence has a noticeboard for introduction, then a Submit Files activity in which the students can submit their first draft. So when the students reach that activity, then they can submit their first paper... you can comment and add notes about the papers. Students can see the comments (and mark if you want to have one) and rewrite the paper accordingly.

Note that I also put a Gate right after the Submit Draft activity, so students don't get ahead unless you give permission (note that you can use permission, time and output gates).

So say you have finished providing feedback to all the students' first draft, then you can open the gate and all the students get to the next activities.

The next activity I added there is a Notebook for the students to comment or to write notes on the feedback they have received for you.. like interesting points you have raised and perhaps how their thoughts on how to address them.

Then the next activity is another Submit Files that prompts the students to send their final paper.

> This seems like a quite typical sequence of events that instructors may want to perform. Is this possible in LAMS?

Indeed. Have a look at the monitoring pages for Submit Files.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Attachments:
5: Re: Re: Submit files activity problem
In response to 3 08/29/09 06:24 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie
Thanks for the response and the example files.

I have done a rather extensive study of the LAMS documentation which is perhaps why I was so confused.

I discovered my problem. I had closed my main LAMS page leaving only the authoring page open. Whenever I editied one "submit files" activity in a sequence it would automatically change the content of any other "submit files" activity in the same sequence. The same thing happened when I edited one assessment or one multiple choice quiz.

I couldn't figure it out until I realized that the main LAMS page was closed. Once I logged out and logged back in keeping the initial LAMS page open, everything worked as expected.

Thanks again!

Posted by Neal Hirsig

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Higher Ed & Training Forum