Forum Higher Ed & Training Forum: Recovery Problem

You may request notification for Recovery Problem.
Search: 

1: Recovery Problem
09/05/09 04:06 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I am having a problem with the “Recovery” feature in the LAMS activity menu. I am not sure if I am using it incorrectly or if this is a bug.

The documentation states that Recover allows you to recover the last saved version of a sequence and discard all subsequent changes provided the sequence has been saved.

I seem to only have access to the recovery feature when I log in and first access the authoring panel. After that it is grayed out. When I do have access it doesn’t seem to recover the last saved version but rather opens the last saved sequence (whatever that may be). Also the warning message seems to indicate something entirely different. I do not know if this is working as expected (and I am using it wrong) or if this is a bug. I am using the current foundation server.

Posted by Neal Hirsig

2: Re: Recovery Problem
In response to 1 09/05/09 10:24 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Neal,

"Recover" in Author can be a bit temperamental. This is due to the Flash player mainly.

Recover is useful in the case that you were building a sequence and for some reason your browser completely crashed. If that's the case and you didn't save anything, the Recover feature might come to your rescue next time you open Author.

Not the reason I say "might" is because it really depends on the frequency that Flash decides to store all its variables in its own Flash "cookies". If Flash decided not to store anything, well, that's not going to be your lucky day.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: Recovery Problem
In response to 2 09/06/09 07:09 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie
Thanks. I was not aware that Flash stored cookies on the user’s local computer.

However, your explanation of the recover feature as a possible means of recovering an unsaved sequence in the event of a system crash seems in conflict with the LAMS documentation on this feature:

“Recover allows you to recover to the last saved version of a sequence and discards all subsequent changes (which would be currently shown in the work area) provided the sequence has been saved. NB: Recover immediately replaces anything in the work area with the last saved version of the sequence (for good) without warning.”

In any event, isn’t this the same as file /open (and simply opening the last saved version of the sequence)?

BTW: We have installed LAMS 2.3.2 on out pilot server and have encountered a few problems with how some of the features are working. Should I post these problems here or on the technical forum?

Posted by Neal Hirsig

4: Re: Re: Re: Recovery Problem
In response to 3 09/06/09 06:49 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> In any event, isn’t this the same as file /open (and simply opening the last saved version of the sequence)?

I'll change this in the documentation now. Thanks for the clarification Neal.

> BTW: We have installed LAMS 2.3.2 on out pilot server and have encountered a few problems with how some of the features
> are working. Should I post these problems here or on the technical forum?

Please do.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Higher Ed & Training Forum