Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: LAMS demo without ethernet

You may request notification for LAMS demo without ethernet.
Search: 

1: LAMS demo without ethernet
10/12/07 09:31 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi

I've been using LAMS on my MacBook running Mac OS 10.4.10 connected to a DSL router. Until recently the serverURL was set to http://localhost:8080/lams/ but I changed it to http://192.168.1.185:8080/lams/ to get the client computers on my LAN to connect to LAMS.

But this has had an unintended consequence. As soon as I disconnect from my LAN FireFox can't find the login page. So now, if I now want to demo LAMS at a remote location I'll need to set the serverURL back to http://localhost:8080/lams/ before disconnecting from my LAN. (Thankfully I discovered this today while working with a colleague, and not on Tuesday when I'm going to be running a demo with 20 Department of Education decision-makers!)

So here are my questions:

1) How do I get the MacBook to be its "own router" with the same IP address I would normally get from the DSL router (so that I won't have to revert back to "localhost" and can continue to connect to LAMS even when I disconnect from my LAN)? (I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology here, but I guess I'm getting the point across.)

2) I know how to share the MacBook's internet connection wirelessly (using the "Share internet connection from" setting on the Network >> Share preference pane. Is there a way to use this so that the MacBook can create a network with its own IP address at 192.168.1.185, which would allow audience members at a demo to connect to LAMS wirelessly?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions to help get this right. I could always revert back to "localhost" and just demo using the MacBook alone. But it would be really great to allow colleagues and audience members to connect wirelessly to LAMS.

Thanks
Barry

Cape Town
South Africa

Posted by Barry Kayton

2: Re: LAMS demo without ethernet
In response to 1 10/12/07 06:41 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Barry,

Not long ago, Jun-Dir, the tech guru, showed me that you can bind an IP to JBoss when it starts. JBoss is the application server that LAMS users to run.

So when you run LAMS (and since we don't have a Mac installer I'm assuming you start it from a terminal?), you can give the -b option.

So for instance, if you change the IP to be 192.168.1.185 before and now you just want to use LAMS when you are on the road, you can tell JBoss to run LAMS on localhost as:

./run.sh -b localhost

When you are on a network and you want to share LAMS with others, just tell JBoss to start binding the IP you got from the network:

./run.sh -b 192.168.1.185

Now, every time you change this, you would have to login into LAMS as sysadmin and change the ServerURL to whatever point to whatever IP you bound JBoss to.

If you are on a new network and you need to find out your IP, I think in Macs, look at the System Preferences >> Network and it should tell you the IP that it got assigned from the network. You can now start JBoss binding it to that IP and everyone on that networks should be able to see it.

It would be nice if LAMS would be able to know or get the IP that JBoss was bound to and use that as ServerURL dynamically. We'll look around to see if there's a way to do this. Maybe a feature for 2.2 :-)

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: LAMS demo without ethernet
In response to 2 10/14/07 02:21 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie

This sounds like it will do the trick.

Thanks
Barry

Posted by Barry Kayton

Reply to first post on this page