Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Problems building version 2.0

You may request notification for Problems building version 2.0.
Search: 

1: Problems building version 2.0
04/22/06 12:10 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
When try to 'assemble-ear' I get the following errors.
Eclipse is using jre1.5.0_06. Is the problem with setting up paths correctly in the "Property Configuration" step?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Buildfile: C:\LAMS\lams_build\build.xml

init:

clean:

[delete] DEPRECATED - Use of the implicit FileSet is deprecated. Use a
nested fileset element instead.

build-subprojects:

preparedirs:

clean:

compile:

[javac] Compiling 223 source files to
C:\LAMS\lams_common\build\classes\java

[javac]
C:\LAMS\lams_common\src\java\org\lamsfoundation\lams\themes\service\ThemeService.java:181:
'(' or '[' expected

[javac] ArrayList<CSSThemeBriefDTO> themeList = new
ArrayList<CSSThemeBriefDTO>();

[javac] ^

[javac]
C:\LAMS\lams_common\src\java\org\lamsfoundation\lams\usermanagement\service\IUserManagementService.java:184:
<identifier> expected

[javac] public List<Organisation> getOrganisationsForUserByRole(User
user, String roleName);

[javac] ^

[javac]
C:\LAMS\lams_common\src\java\org\lamsfoundation\lams\usermanagement\service\IUserManagementService.java:184:
= expected

user, String roleName);

[javac] ^

[javac]
C:\LAMS\lams_common\src\java\org\lamsfoundation\lams\usermanagement\service\IUserManagementService.java:220:
<identifier> expected

[javac] public List<Role> getRolesForUserByOrganisation(User user,
Integer orgId);

[javac] ^

[javac]
C:\LAMS\lams_common\src\java\org\lamsfoundation\lams\usermanagement\service\IUserManagementService.java:220:
= expected

[javac] public List<Role> getRolesForUserByOrganisation(User user,
Integer orgId);

[javac] ^

[javac]
C:\LAMS\lams_common\src\java\org\lamsfoundation\lams\usermanagement\service\IUserManagementService.java:228:
<identifier> expected

[javac] public List<User> getUsersFromOrganisation(Integer orgId);

[javac] ^

[javac]
C:\LAMS\lams_common\src\java\org\lamsfoundation\lams\usermanagement\service\IUserManagementService.java:228:
= expected

[javac] public List<User> getUsersFromOrganisation(Integer orgId);

[javac] ^

[javac]
C:\LAMS\lams_common\src\java\org\lamsfoundation\lams\usermanagement\service\UserManagementService.java:312:
<identifier> expected

user, String roleName) {

[javac] ^

[javac]
C:\LAMS\lams_common\src\java\org\lamsfoundation\lams\usermanagement\service\UserManagementService.java:615:
';' expected

[javac] ^

[javac]
C:\LAMS\lams_common\src\java\org\lamsfoundation\lams\util\LoadedMessageSourceService.java:42:
<identifier> expected

[javac] private HashMap<String,MessageSource> messageServices = new
HashMap<String,MessageSource>();

[javac] ^

[javac] 10 errors

BUILD FAILED

C:\LAMS\lams_build\build.xml:50: The following error occurred while
executing this line:

C:\LAMS\lams_common\build.xml:168: Compile failed; see the compiler
error output for details.

Total time: 10 seconds

Posted by Ken Kahn

2: Re: Problems building version 2.0
In response to 1 04/24/06 01:31 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ken,

I'm making some educated guesses here, so I hope they work. As you've guessed, it looks like a problem with the version of Java - it is throwing the errors on 1.5 specific features. I have managed to reproduce the problem using a 1.4 compiler.

You have a 1.5 JRE installed so it should work, but I've never tried it with the JRE - I always use the full JDK.

I suggest two things:

(1) In Eclipse, go into Windows, Preferences, Java, Installed JREs and make sure the 1.5 version is checked. When you install a new JRE/JDK, Eclipse doesn't automatically select the new one.

(2) Download a copy of the full JDK and install that. I suggest "J2SE(TM) Development Kit 5.0 Update 6" from http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp. We have had problems in the past running JBOSS with the JRE and so we only use the JDK. Even if get LAMS to build with the JRE, it may not run.

Let me know if it still won't build after this. You will still get lots of deprecation errors but it should build successfully.

Fiona Malikoff

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Problems building version 2.0
In response to 2 04/26/06 05:24 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks. Changing from the JRE to the JDK fixed that problem.

I think I correctly followed the instructions in

http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lams/Building+LAMS

and when I started JBOSS with

jboss-4.0.2\bin\run.bat

It seems to start up just fine.

Now for the probably stupid question:

How do I start Dolly after having done all this?

-ken

Posted by Ken Kahn

4: Re: Re: Problems building version 2.0
In response to 3 04/26/06 08:10 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Not a stupid question. Silly of me to forget the most obvious bit of information - the URL.

The short answer is your question is probably http://localhost:8080/lams and login as test1/test1.

For a better answer have another look at the Building LAMS page. I have just updated it to include more details under "Property Files and lams.xml Configuration" and "Start JBOSS".

The part about the lams.xml file is very important and most remiss of me to miss earlier - all the settings in there work for our current development team so I tend to forget all about the file until something goes wrong.

Seriously - thanks for finding the shortcomings in our documentation. I appreciate your patience in working through this process.

If you have a look at the logs and find LAMS isn't starting up correctly, please post the lams.log and the server.log.

Regards,

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

5: Re: Problems building version 2.0
In response to 1 05/18/06 08:15 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi. Thanks.

I've had a series of problems that seem to be resolved now. I now have server problems as can be seen from the attached log.

Best,

-ken

Posted by Ken Kahn

Attachments:
6: Re: Problems building version 2.0
In response to 1 07/07/06 06:38 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
While these problems perhaps still persist on my laptop note that with beta 1 on a fresh machine, I no longer have these problems. See

http://www.lamscommunity.org/dotlrn/clubs/technicalcommunity/forums/message-view?message%5fid=255527

Posted by Ken Kahn

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS