Forum Problems Installing LAMS: LAMS on MAC cant find localhost

You may request notification for LAMS on MAC cant find localhost.
Search: 

1: LAMS on MAC cant find localhost
07/24/06 05:47 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi

I have just installed MSQL "mysql-standard-4.1.20-apple-darwin8.6.0-powerpc" on my G4 ibook running 10.4.7 Installed LAMS Server v1.0.2

It followed the installation instructions exactly with no trouble starting both MYSQL and LAMS but when it finished the 45 second temp page the browser in Safari, Firefox and IE all gave this error message "can’t open the page “http://localhost:8080/lams” because it could not connect to the server “localhost”"

What am I doing wrong and why wont it open LAMS. I would appreciate any help. Not sure this community emails replies so I will keep checking

Regards
Allan

Posted by Allan Carrington

2: Re: LAMS on MAC cant find localhost
In response to 1 07/24/06 06:08 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi again

Thought I had better add that I couldnt get the LAMS Server to shut down with the LAMS Server application. I had to restart my machine. Every time I clicked the button to shut it down it took me to the temporary web page showing 45sec start up then the LAMS Server still showed LAMS as running.

Weird is there something corrupted?

Regards
Allan

P.S. Found the subscribe button for email notification :-)

3: Re: LAMS on MAC cant find localhost
In response to 1 07/24/06 01:49 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Allan,

I have seen in some ibooks that at times it takes a bit longer that 45 seconds to load LAMS. Next time can you wait a few extra seconds more and then refresh the page?

Also, you can try with http://127.0.0.1/lams as that's the loopback for localhost. It should be exactly the same, but worth giving it a try.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

4: Re: Re: LAMS on MAC cant find localhost
In response to 3 07/24/06 01:51 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ooopps.. actually that should be http://127.0.0.1:8080/lams

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

5: Re: LAMS on MAC cant find localhost
In response to 1 07/24/06 02:32 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie

Wow you start early even though the East coast is 30 mins ahead of Adelaide. Thanks for the quick response

You know I leave the temp web page until it automatically tries to get local host and it doesn't work then I try again 5 mins later and still nothing.

I tried the other URL (both in fact just in case :-)) and they didn't work either.

Then something clicked this morning I missed last night. It talks about logged in as Admin. You know I installed as this as a user with admin privileges (I think its all - it does everything I know of) because of the way our ITS people here at Adelaide configured my MAC

Dumb question dept: Could that be the problem and do I have to log out of user and log in as Admin? When I work on LAMS do I have to be logged in as Admin? If so then I guess I have to reinstall it all again. Any hints how to completely uninstall it from my user account.

BTW the LAMS server will still not shut down the way I have it unless I restart.

Again thanks for the help .... I want to work with LAMS and this is the only way I can when my month demo expires so I will never surrender :-)

Regards
Allan

6: Re: LAMS on MAC cant find localhost
In response to 1 07/24/06 08:13 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi everyone

I thought I had better keep the community updated on what I am discovering.

When I looked closer I found I do have full administraotr privileges and so best forget all that I said re that issue in last posting.

Also Shutting the LAMS server is strange as well. You click the button and two things happen simultaneously or at least it appears that way. The browser takes you to the tem page with the "Server is starting and the loading bar and the 45 seconds message" AND if you move/minimize that you will see the pop up window behind it that says the server is stopped. I clicked OK and it was fine

I could be wrong but if you leave the web page running I think it will open the server again

I never noticed the closed confirmation window behind the browser window before..... tricky

I can now stop and start the LAMS server but that is not the major issue. I STILL cant get access to the running server through a browser ... see previous posts.

Please help and I'll appreciate it

Regards
Allan

7: Re: LAMS on MAC cant find localhost
In response to 1 07/26/06 02:41 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Guys

Is there somebody in the community that has successfully done this installation and can help me pleeease!

I have now tried it on two of my MACS.

The one described in earlier posts - an iBook G4 running MAC OS 10.4.7 Everything appeared to install as per instructions BUT it said the localhost was not found after LAMS server opened. I even tried the http://127.0.0.1:8080/lams address Ernie gave me. BOTH FAILED!

I then noticed that the MySQl was 1.4.20 when I clicked on the tiger link to mySQL in the intructions and this is slightly later than the 1.4.14 mentioned later in the instructions.

SO I thought just in case I will do it again and find exactly the version of MySQL mentioned

This time it was a slightly older 700 MKhz iMACAV running Tiger 10.4.6. I installed the exact version of mySQL as stated and the LAMS server. Both run OK but the browser gives the very same error messages. In both Safari and Firefox BTW

What in the world am I doing wrong please? Anyone have any ideas?

Regards
Allan

8: Re: LAMS on MAC cant find localhost
In response to 1 07/30/06 10:07 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hiya Allan

Not sure what the problem is, but here's some things you can do to troubleshoot:

If http://localhost:8080/lams won't work, try http://localhost:8080. That won't give you LAMS, but if it gives you a 'HTTP 500 error' screen, then at least JBoss has started.

Open the text file /usr/local/lams-1.0.2/installer.log; if installation was successful it should say 'BUILD SUCCESSFUL' twice. I'll attach this file from one of our systems so you can compare.

Then there are the JBoss log files. These are located in /usr/local/lams-1.0.2/jboss/server/default/log. If you can, attach these here or email them; the ones to look for are boot.log and server.log.

If all that sounds like too much, just let me know your username and/or email on the demo server, and I'll extend your account for you :D

Cheers,

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

Attachments:
9: Re: LAMS on MAC cant find localhost
In response to 1 08/03/06 07:35 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
We found a few issues and managed to workaround them... here they are for those who are looking for help:

1. First issue was the default java being used was Java 1.5; LAMS needs 1.4.2. You can test which one your system is using by doing 'java -version' in a Terminal. Fortunately OS X also had 1.4.2 installed, you just need to point LAMS to it. To do this, add a line to the file /usr/local/lams-1.0.2/etc/lams.conf. See http://www.lamscommunity.org/dotlrn/clubs/technicalcommunity/forums/message-view?message%5fid=243855#246607 this post for details.

2. Second issue was to do with Allan's laptop being behind a proxy requiring authentication - this can be fixed by updating LAMS to a more recent version, as the one that comes with the installer is a little outdated. Just replace the files lams.war, lams-1.0.jar, and hibernate.sar in the jboss/server/default/deploy directory with the updated versions. You can download the updated versions from the unix package (http://saturn.melcoe.mq.edu.au/installers/lams-server-1.0.2-20060505.tar.gz)

3. Last issue was that the 'Stop LAMS Server' button doesn't stop LAMS, but starts it - in this case, LAMS won't start properly. You'll need to kill the existing LAMS processes since LAMS won't start if JBoss is already running. One way to do this is to just restart the system.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

10: Re: LAMS on MAC cant find localhost
In response to 1 11/26/06 10:35 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Lo mismo me paso, pero en win32, y el problemaera la versión del JDK que tenia instalado; aunque instale el 1.4 las variables de entorno hacian referencia al 1.5 (JAVA_HOME y CLASSPATH) una vez corregidas funcionó sin ningun problema

Posted by Rodrigo Damián Velázquez Tapia

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS