Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Problem: LAMS2.0.3 start error

You may request notification for Problem: LAMS2.0.3 start error.
Search: 

1: Problem: LAMS2.0.3 start error
06/15/07 05:37 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
lams2.0.3 can't be started. here is the log:
C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\logs wrapper.log

ERROR | wrapper | 2007/06/15 09:53:01 | JVM appears hung: Timed out waiting for signal from JVM.
ERROR | wrapper | 2007/06/15 09:53:02 | JVM did not exit on request, terminated

I would very gratefull if someone could help me.

Thanks

Posted by jia liyuan

2: Re: Problem: LAMS2.0.3 start error
In response to 1 06/17/07 07:36 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hello Jia

I have never come across this problem before in Windows.

My first suggestion would be to check the C:/lams/jboss-4.0.2/conf/wrapper.conf file. There should be an entry near the top like:

# Java Application
wrapper.java.command=C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.6.0/bin/java

Does this point to your java executable?

Luke Foxton

Posted by Luke Foxton

5: Re: Re: Problem: LAMS2.0.3 start error
In response to 2 06/20/07 09:22 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
here is my wrapper.conf:
wrapper.java.command=C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.6.0_01/bin/java

wrapper.java.mainclass=org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperSimpleApp

wrapper.java.classpath.1=../lib/wrapper.jar
wrapper.java.classpath.2=./run.jar

wrapper.java.library.path.1=../lib

wrapper.java.additional.1=-Dprogram.name=run.bat

wrapper.java.initmemory=256
wrapper.java.maxmemory=512

wrapper.app.parameter.1=org.jboss.Main

wrapper.console.format=PM
wrapper.console.loglevel=ERROR

wrapper.logfile=../logs/wrapper.log
wrapper.logfile.format=LPTM
wrapper.logfile.loglevel=ERROR
wrapper.logfile.maxsize=5m
wrapper.logfile.maxfiles=2
wrapper.syslog.loglevel=NONE

wrapper.console.title=LAMSv2

And i didn't change any of the Wrapper Windows NT/2000/XP Service Properties.
there is not "wrapper.ping.timeout=30" in this file,can i add wrapper.ping.timeout=120 to this file?
thank you...

Posted by jia liyuan

3: Re: Problem: LAMS2.0.3 start error
In response to 1 06/17/07 07:57 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
This could also be the result of the following circumstance:

The wrapper uses a constant pinging service to check the health of the JVM, which has a 30 second timeout. If there is another service taking 100% of the CPU usage for longer than 30 seconds, the check will fail and the wrapper itself may timeout.

A band-aid solution to this problem is to change the C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\conf\wrapper.conf property wrapper.ping.timeout=30 to have a longer timeout (Longer than the block of 100% CPU usage). But bear in mind that this will lengthen the amount of time that LAMS itself will hang in the rare event of a real problem.

The more suitable solution would be to find out what is causing the 100% CPU usage (if this is the case) and put a stop to it. Are you running any other applications that sometimes take 100% of the CPU usage? And is there any other applications using your JVM?

Luke Foxton

Posted by Luke Foxton

4: Re: Re: Problem: LAMS2.0.3 start error
In response to 3 06/20/07 08:10 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
thank you very much,i'am sorry to answer you so late.
My cpu was taking almost 100% by a application when i start lams,i checked that it was the JVM application, Apparently,i can't stop it.

can i make a Configuration about the JVM solute the CPU
usage 100% problem?

i will change the C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\conf\wrapper.conf property wrapper.ping.timeout=* to a longer timeout first.

jia

Posted by jia liyuan

6: Re: Re: Re: Problem: LAMS2.0.3 start error
In response to 4 06/21/07 01:33 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
jia,

When I have seen the JVM taking up 100% of the CPU in the past, it was due to a bug in a program, rather than a JVM setting that needs to be changed. The normal configuration settings for the JVM are memory related, not CPU related.

We need to work out if the problem is with the wrapper that starts LAMS, or with LAMS itself. Can you go through the following steps and tell me what is happening.

(1) Start up Windows.

(2) Does LAMS try to start straight away?

If no, go to (3)

If yes, then stop whatever is starting LAMS. This is probably the LAMS service. To stop the service, go to the Control Panel, then Administrative Tools, then Services.

There should be a LAMSv2 service. Right mouse click to get the popup menu and select properties. In the Properties dialog box, click Stop to stop LAMS and set the Startup type to Disabled. Click OK to save the change, close the services window and restart Windows. Now when Windows starts up, LAMS should NOT start up automatically. See the attached screenshot for help with the Properties dialog box.

(3) With LAMS NOT running, check your CPU. Is it okay?

(4) Now we will try to start LAMS directly (without starting the wrapper).

Find the file C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\bin\run.bat and open it in a text editor (e.g. Notepad). Near the end of the file are the lines:

:RESTART
ECHO "%JAVA%" %JAVA_OPTS% "-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%JBOSS_ENDORSED_DIRS%" -classpath "%JBOSS_CLASSPATH%" org.jboss.Main %*
IF ERRORLEVEL 10 GOTO RESTART

Remove the "ECHO" so that it just has

"%JAVA%" %JAVA_OPTS% "-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%JBOSS_ENDORSED_DIRS%" -classpath "%JBOSS_CLASSPATH%" org.jboss.Main %*

Then open your command line window and run the script  C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\bin\run.bat.

This will start up LAMS without starting the wrapper. LAMS will stay running as long as you keep this window open.

Does your CPU go to 100% now?

If so, find the files C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\server\default\log\server.log and C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\bin\lams.log. Zip them up and attach them to a posting here (do not try to paste them into a message). Then we will look at them and see if we can see any errors in the log files.

(5) To stop LAMS, you can close the command line window.

If you did get the CPU going to 100% then stop here. There is no point doing anything else with the wrapper if starting LAMS itself causes the JVM to take up all the CPU.

(6) Now try running it using the wrapper.

Go back into  C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\bin\run.bat and put the "ECHO" back into the file. So the lines will now look like:

ECHO "%JAVA%" %JAVA_OPTS% "-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%JBOSS_ENDORSED_DIRS%" -classpath "%JBOSS_CLASSPATH%" org.jboss.Main %*

Go to the wrapper.conf file and add the following two lines at the end:

wrapper.ping.timeout=60
wrapper.cpu.timeout=30

Now start LAMS using the "Start LAMS" icon in the Program Files menu. This will start the wrapper.

Now what happens? If the CPU now goes to 100%, then take a copy of the logs C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\server\default\log\server.log and C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\bin\lams.log. Zip them up and attach them to a posting here and we will look at them.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem: LAMS2.0.3 start error
In response to 6 06/21/07 01:33 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Screenshot to go with the previous message.

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Attachments:
9: Problem: LAMS 2.3.5 hangs in desing areas
In response to 7 03/29/11 01:01 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi, i just installed lams in a Quad Core AMD Opteron Processor 2352 2.10 Ghz (2 processors), 2GB RAM windows server 2008 R2 standard edition, with JDK 1.5 (it was impossible to make run ver. 1.6 with LAMS). Now its running, but it hangs in desing areas and send timeout errors to wrapper log file:
ERROR | wrapper | 2011/03/29 11:04:51 | JVM appears hung: Timed out waiting for signal from JVM.
ERROR | wrapper | 2011/03/29 11:04:51 | JVM did not exit on request, terminated
ERROR | wrapper | 2011/03/29 12:01:50 | Shutdown failed: Timed out waiting for signal from JVM.
ERROR | wrapper | 2011/03/29 12:01:50 | JVM did not exit on request, terminated.

I was testing with your last testing method and my CPU usage rich 15% max. and physical memory to 1GB because i adjust memory usage in wrapper.conf to 512 - 1GB, but LAMS service is still falling. Some idea wath can i do?
I attach images

Posted by Juan Antonio López Martínez

Attachments:
10: Re: Problem: LAMS 2.3.5 hangs in desing areas
In response to 9 03/29/11 09:27 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Juan Antonio,

I've just came across this problem recently too...

The problem is the wrapper that allows LAMS to run as a windows service. We use Tanuki's wrapper for this.

However, the version we use is the Community edition that is just 32 bits. If you are running Windows 2008 R2 then that's not good for you.

I guess one option is to purchase the 64 bit version from Tanuki (~$100 USD).

Or, what I did was to use the run.bat instead :-)

To make sure that LAMS starts on server reboot, I set up a task in the scheduler that would run the run.bat on server start up. I'm not 100% happy with this as it doesn't auto recover if the application freezes or crashes.

There are two alternative open source versions that you might want to explore:

* JSmooth and
* Wrapper

Eventually I would need to look into this as more and more we are seeing Windows 64 bits servers. But if you are willing to have a look at these now and share your experiences with us, it'll be really really helpful.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

11: Re: Re: Problem: LAMS 2.3.5 hangs in desing areas
In response to 10 03/30/11 11:37 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks for your suggestions, I´ll try any one, and I´ll share the results...

Posted by Juan Antonio López Martínez

12: Re: Re: Re: Problem: LAMS 2.3.5 hangs in desing areas
In response to 11 04/05/11 04:26 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
See my reply about YAJSW.

YAJSW makes creating a wrapper a walk in the park. Additionally, it has a LGPL license and works with Win 64 bits!

Brilliant!

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem: LAMS2.0.3 start error
In response to 6 06/21/07 08:52 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
hi,Fiona
thanks for your advices!

After my PC starts up,LAMS does not try to run and everything is okay.step by step,I understood that it's not due to a bug in a program . And neither the JVM nor the wrapper caused the CPU problem,but my limited 256M memory brout about this error.
As your advise i go to the wrapper.conf file and add the following two lines at the end:
wrapper.ping.timeout=60
wrapper.cpu.timeout=30
then it works!and i think a new 512M or even better Memory will be more suitable.thousands of thanks ...

Posted by jia liyuan

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS