Forum Problems Installing LAMS: How do i change the flash icons/label in the LHS of the Authoring page.

You may request notification for How do i change the flash icons/label in the LHS of the Authoring page..
Search: 

1: How do i change the flash icons/label in the LHS of the Authoring page.
09/19/07 03:44 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,

How do i change the label displayed in the LHS of the Authoring page.

The table "lams_learning_activity" contains the field "library_activity_ui_image" where we specify the name of the image to be displayed for a tool in the Authoring screen.

But how do where do we specify the label that is displayed along with this image.

Thanks in advance.

C. Karthikeyan.

Posted by Karthikeyan Chidambaram

2: Re: How do i change the flash icons/label in the LHS of the Authoring page.
In response to 1 09/19/07 05:21 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The labels in LAMS are either in xml or properties files.

If the label is for something in Flash, then they are in the blah_dictionary.xml files in lams.ear/lams-central.war/flashxml when deployed on JBOSS. If you are doing your own builds, then the "originals" are kept in the lams_central/conf/flashxml.

If the labels are for a jsp page, or are specifically tool related then they are in a Java properties file in lams.ear/lams-dictionary.jar when deployed on JBOSS. The "originals" are kept in the conf/language directory of the appropriate project or in the librarypackages directory in lams_build.

In the case of the tool activity labels in authoring, you want the "activity.title" entry in the tool's language files.

There is a name column in the activity table, but that is only used if it can't get the label from the property file.

The real originals for all of these files is kept on the LAMS Community, so if you change the text in any of the existing tools then it will be overwritten in the next release.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: How do i change the flash icons/label in the LHS of the Authoring page.
In response to 1 09/21/07 06:19 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Well,

Actually, I have a added a new tool in LAMS and for this I have added a new image by specifying the image name in the field library_activity_ui_image of table lams_learning_activity.

I want to display a lable along with this image, just like its being displayed for other tools.

C. Karthikeyan.

4: Re: Re: How do i change the flash icons/label in the LHS of the Authoring page.
In response to 3 09/23/07 05:00 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The label should be coming out of the language files for your new tool. When you copied the existing tool to create your new tool, you should have copied the conf/language/lams directory. You will need to modify the ApplicationResources.properties and ApplicationResources_en_AU.properties files to change the name of the tool.

You also need to check that the language_file column in the lams_tool table is correct. This contains the language file name that LAMS uses to access the properties file. It must match what you have set up in languageFilesPackage setting in the generateDeployProperties task in build.xml. For example, if the languageFilePackage in the build.xml is "org.lamsfoundation.lams.tool.forum", then the matching column in the database must be "org.lamsfoundation.lams.tool.forum.ApplicationResources".

The row in the lams_tool table is is inserted using the tool_insert.sql script.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

5: Re: Re: Re: How do i change the flash icons/label in the LHS of the Authoring page.
In response to 4 09/24/07 12:15 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks a lot,

Worked.

I had not made the changes to the ApplicationResources_en_AU.properties file.

I had changed only the
ApplicationResources.properties file.

Regards,

C. Karthikeyan.

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS