Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Running preview again and again.

You may request notification for Running preview again and again..
Search: 

1: Running preview again and again.
09/26/07 07:26 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,

I am running LAMS in preview mode after creating a Learning Activity.

I want to give the user an option to retake the test.

I did the following change

//

lams:Passon id="${activityForm.lessonID}"
progress="${activityForm.progressSummary}" />

Retake test

//

in lams_learning\web\lessonComplete.jsp.

However on accessing the url added by me (commented with my name) it says that I have completed the lesson.

This is obviously because I am picking up the current lessonId and passing it in the url.

The thing is I need to change the url, and generate generate a new lessionid (as it is being generated by the Preview button now).

I am not able to find out the flash code which does this generation.
(At the click of the preview button).

Could you suggest how I achieve this retaking of the test, without having to click the preview button.

Regards,

C. Karthikeyan.

Posted by Karthikeyan Chidambaram

2: Re: Running preview again and again.
In response to 1 09/26/07 05:11 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Multiple Choice is designed to allow you to answer the questions over and over again, within the same lesson. In authoring, on the Advanced tab is an option "Allow Retries". That will display a button on the Multiple Choice pages themselves that allows you do redo the questions.

Preview is designed to simulate running a lesson, rather than an activity. To run simulate running a lesson takes quite a bit of work on the back end - a lot more than just generating a new lessonID.

To run an activity again also requires a number of calls, so I wouldn't advise that either if you can just use "Allow Retries".

If "Allow Retries" doesn't work, the other thing you could try is creating one activity with all the questions, feedback, etc that you want. Then on the main screen in authoring (ie the one where you layout the activities) then select the Multiple Choice activity, go to the Edit menu and select Copy, then go to the Edit menu and select Paste. This should give you a complete copy of the original activity. You could paste it a number of times and then join up the activities using transitions. Then when you run preview, you would get the same questions over and over again.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: Running preview again and again.
In response to 2 09/27/07 12:10 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Well I wanted to give the user the option of running the Learning sequence again, once he had completed the lesson.

Copying the activity would copy it once, or the number of times depending on how many times one copies and pastes.

It would also require that the author create the transitions that many times.

That is why it struck me that

to use the following code

/lams/learning/main.jsp?lessonID=${activityForm.lessonID}&mode=preview

somewhere after

lams:Passon id="${activityForm.lessonID}"
progress="${activityForm.progressSummary}"

but by generating a new lessonID.

Currently it is being generated when the user clicks on the preview button, which is in flash.

Rather I wanted to include the link in the page itself.

I guess that will do away with the author needing to specify the number of retries for all the activities.

I am not sure how I could generate the new lessonID, and wanted to know, how I could do that.

Regards,

C. Karthikeyan.

Posted by Karthikeyan Chidambaram

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS