Forum Problems Installing LAMS: How to redirect jboss root to lams app

You may request notification for How to redirect jboss root to lams app.
Search: 

1: How to redirect jboss root to lams app
01/30/08 06:22 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi
I have done a search and can't find a quick answer to this - sorry if I overlooked it.

I want to redirect the jboss homepage in the server root to the /lams subdirectory, so people who go to the server root don't see the default jboss settings page, but are instead redirected to Lams. What is the easiest way to do this?

I initially set the lams url in the properties file to http://localhost/ but this did not seem to work as all the lams files were still installed to /lams, so i guess the other question would be is it possible to have lams run in the server root instead of /lams.

Thanks
Regards
Glen

Posted by Glen Davies

2: Re: How to redirect jboss root to lams app
In response to 1 01/31/08 07:48 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Glen,

There are no instructions on how to redirect the JBoss home page, as we don't recommend for three reasons:
(1) It is not needed if you are running Apache.
(2) Its not tested. We've tried to design LAMS so that you don't have to have the "lams" but we've never really tried it with no context (ie just /, not /lams) so there may be obscure bugs somewhere.
(3) Sometimes the JBoss homepage is useful - particularly if you hit a weird bug that might be locking up your server. If that happens, we often look at the JBoss pages to see if we can work out what it is that might be triggering the problem. I can only think of one user that we have asked to do this, but the potential is there.

Most people who want this are running a large production system, and for a large production system we recommend running LAMS behind Apache, and using Apache to serve some of the static content. We have found this has given some sites a signficant performance improvement. If you use Apache, then you can have a "nice" url for the Apache server, and then use mod_rewrite to refer to LAMS using its normal name. See the Production Server Settings page on the wiki (http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lamsdocs/Production+Server+Settings)  for details then let us know if you need some help with the mod_rewrite.

If you are still concerned that people can access the JBoss page, then you can following the instructions on http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=SecureTheJmxConsole. The "using a username/password file" option will do it, or (with LAMS shutdown) go to the directory  <jboss>/server/default/deploy/jbossweb-tomcat55.sar/ and rename ROOT.war to ROOT.war.bak. If you rename the directory, then you shouldn't be able to get the console page at all.

If you still want to redirect people from the main JBoss page, adding the meta refresh tag "<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0;URL=/lams"/>" to
<jboss>/server/default/deploy/jbossweb-tomcat55.sar/ROOT.war/index.html is probably the easiest. Put the line in at line 7 - just after the existing meta tag.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: How to redirect jboss root to lams app
In response to 2 01/31/08 07:59 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Just to clarify something - doing the meta refresh shouldn't cause the problems referred to in point (2). There I was referring to trying to get rid of the /lams/ altogether. Using Apache or doing the meta refresh send the person to the full url so it avoids any issues that might occur with the /lams/ bit being removed altogether.

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS