Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Using Moodle Forums

Search: 

4: Re: Using Moodle Forums
In response to 1 11/30/05 03:38 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Josep,

It is possible to use Moodle forums within LAMS as we display in the walkthru. The way you can do it is by create them in Moodle (as you normally do: turning on the editing mode, selecting the type of tool/activity, editing the content, save it, and then getting the hyperlink that launches the activity), and then add the link to an HTML noticeboard as an iframe or as a link into a Share Resource.

I think the confusion about using Moodle tools in LAMS authoring (when you are designing your sequences) and see them as activity tools that you can drag and drop to create a LAMS sequences is not possible in our current version (1.0.x). The reason being that our tools and sequence engine are very much the same thing, creating a monolithic type of system.

We realized that about a year and a half ago we decided to redesign LAMS to have a very clear separation between tools and LAMS core, so you can have pluggable tools that by using the LAMS API can 'talk' to the back end even if the LAMS Core and the tool aren't written in the same programming language. This is what we usually refer as the new version or LAMS 1.1.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

5: Re: Re: Using Moodle Forums
In response to 4 12/01/05 05:59 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks very much Dean and Ernie,

It is not what I would have liked to hear :-} but at least now I will stop wasting time and getting anxious.
It was my misunderstanding, then. I must have read somewhere that this direct integration with the Moodle services would happen in LAMS 1.1 and when the latest version of LAMS appeared, I must have thought "this is it" (forgetting that the latest version was not version 1.1). Oh well. We'll wait. You have us hooked now.

Josep M.

Posted by Josep M. Fontana

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum