Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Re: Re: Re: Problems using the authoring tool in Lams 2.0

Search: 

5: Re: Re: Re: Problems using the authoring tool in Lams 2.0
In response to 3 12/15/06 01:32 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hola Ximena,

We have solved the issue of Spanish showing when the server is set to English. Have a look at this post.

Thanks for your tip on this one... :-)

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problems using the authoring tool in Lams 2.0
In response to 5 12/20/06 01:22 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ximena,

I was looking at Noticeboard yesterday in Spanish, running in learner. I found a bug - when you click the Finish button (I think it was Finalizer or something similar) it throws an error like the one you have found in authoring. It's not just Spanish that has the problem - the Finish button in Noticeboard in Learner won't work for any language apart from English.

I've raised this problem as:
https://bugs.lamsfoundation.org/browse/LDEV-1099

The fix will be released in LAMS 2.0.1, but in the meantime if anyone gets stuck on this problem i.e. they have someone using Noticeboard in Learner and they aren't using English, then there is a workaround. You can use the "Force Complete" functionality in Monitoring.

* Let the student look at the Noticeboard and click Finish (or whatever the button is called). They will get an exception.
* Then you need to go into Monitor and use the force complete option - go to the Sequence tab (Sequencia in Spanish) and find the learner that you want to fix. See the attached screenshot StuckInNoticeboard.jpg. When you put the cursor over one of the little people symbols on an activity you can see their name. "Pick up" the person symbol (with your mouse) and drag it over to the next activity in the sequence. The learner's record in the database will be updated to say that they have finished the Noticeboard.
* The learner should then either reopen the Learner window, or click Continue (Continuar). Then learner screen should take them to the next activity and they won't be stuck anymore!

This will be a pain as you will have to do it for every learner, but it just a workaround until LAMS 2.0.1 is released.

But back to your problem in authoring. I think I now know what the problem was in authoring and if my guess is right, then it will caused by the mix of English and Spanish that you saw on the screen. I can't reproduce the problem so I can't test it, but I have a very strong feeling that the fix for the English/Spanish mix problem will also fix the authoring save button problem. So for the moment you can either follow Ernie's instructions for fixing the language mix problem manually, or you can wait for the first language pack to be released. We are hoping that the first language pack will be released next week.

Regards,

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Attachments:
8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problems using the authoring tool in Lams 2.0
In response to 7 12/20/06 01:23 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The other attachment - I always forget that I don't get a second "attach" for one posting.

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Attachments:
9: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problems using the authoring tool in Lams 2.0
In response to 8 12/20/06 02:09 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> I always forget that I don't get a second "attach" for one posting.

Actually, you do... but it's a bit of a hack.

Once you post your first attachment, you'll see your posting and it looks like that's it.

However, click on the back button on your browser and then attach a second file. And then do the same for a third and so on.

I know, it ain't very elegant, but it works :-)

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

10: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problems using the authoring tool in Lams 2.0
In response to 7 12/20/06 03:50 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Fiona,
Thanks for your response. I'll fix the language mix problem as Ernie explained and I'll be waiting for the new version :).

Thanks,

Ximena

Posted by Ximena Olivares

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS