Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation

Search: 

10: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation
In response to 9 12/30/07 04:23 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Rod,

It seems that you are running another instance of Tomcat (LAMS runs JBoss who also has an embedded Tomcat in it) which seems to collide with LAMS.

Would you know what other application is using Tomcat in this box?

If you do have an application that needs to be running Tomcat and you can't stop it, then here are instructions on how you can get around this. Method 1 seems to be the easiest if your box have multiple IPs. Otherwise Method 2 will require a bit more fiddle with the JBoss configuration files.

If you get stuck, please ask! I've never done this myself, but Jun-Dir, the JBoss King, for sure has.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

11: Re: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation
In response to 10 12/30/07 12:56 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie,

I stopped Tomcat and that did not work. Then I tried Option 1 because I have more than one IP address available. Here is a copy of what I did and the results. After I change this IP address, do I need to change my URL in the lams.properties file and use a different URL?

[root@ip-72-167-46-74 bin]# /usr/local/jboss-4.0.2/bin/run.sh -b 72.167.48.28
=========================================================================

JBoss Bootstrap Environment

JBOSS_HOME: /usr/local/jboss-4.0.2

JAVA: /usr/java/jdk/bin/java

JAVA_OPTS: -server -Xms128m -Xmx128m -Dprogram.name=run.sh

CLASSPATH: /usr/local/jboss-4.0.2/bin/run.jar:/usr/java/jdk/lib/tools.jar

=========================================================================

/usr/java/jdk/bin/java -server -Xms128m -Xmx128m -Dprogram.name=run.sh -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/local/jboss-4.0.2/lib/endorsed -classpath /usr/local/jboss-4.0.2/bin/run.jar:/usr/java/jdk/lib/tools.jar org.jboss.Main -b 72.167.48.28
[root@ip-72-167-46-74 bin]# sudo ./lams2 status
LAMS is not running.
[root@ip-72-167-46-74 bin]# sudo ./lams2 start
Starting LAMS...
[root@ip-72-167-46-74 bin]# sudo ./lams2 status
LAMS is running (4337).
[root@ip-72-167-46-74 bin]#

Posted by Rod Spears

12: Re: Re: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation
In response to 11 12/30/07 04:55 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Rod,

If you change the IP address, you should change it in the lams.properties in /etc/lams2 for future upgrades. But it won't make any difference to the version of LAMS already installed.

You will need to start using the new IP address when you try to call LAMS ie http://72.167.48.28:8080/lams.

Then if you do get the login screen up then the page may look a little odd, as it may not be loading the stylesheets correctly. Log into LAMS as sysadmin, select the Sys Admin link and go to Edit Configuration Settings. Change the Server URL entry to the new URL.

This highlights an issue with using a numeric IP address, rather than a name for the server. Users will have to use that numeric IP address to access LAMS, or the stylesheets won't load - the url that is specified in the Server URL field is the url used to load the stylesheets and other bits and pieces of rendering bits in LAMS.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

13: Re: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation
In response to 10 01/01/08 12:58 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie,

I have spent many hours working on a solution over the past several days. While searching for answers, I finally came across something about checking the firewall on my server. When I disabled the firewall, I could access LAMS!!!

During the process, I changed the port to 8180 and it is working on that port after disabling the firewall. Then I changed my firewall to allow access.

Now I am working on integration of LAMS and Moodle.

Posted by Rod Spears

14: Re: Re: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation
In response to 13 01/01/08 03:08 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Rod,

Great to hear that it was just a firewall issue :-) I can't believe I didn't think about this before!

Anyway, let us know if you have any further problems.

Thanks,

ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS