Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: LAMS Internationalization Update

Search: 

83: Re: LAMS Internationalization Update
In response to 1 04/18/08 01:21 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Dear Translators,

I have just updated the translator's server with your latest translations.

Also many thanks to Peter Gogh for his work on the Hungarian translation. Hungarian will now be included as a supported language in the 2.1 release! Thanks Peter

Since we are waiting for the boss to do his quality control, we have started adding a few small 2.1+ features into the list of 2.1 final release. Therefore, you might have noticed that we have added a few new labels for them.

Some of these features that require new labels are:

* Forgotten password (see new labels in LAMS Central)
* Insert/Merge new sequences in Authoring (See Authoring)
* Controls for managing the size of the popup windows (see Admin labels)

Forgotten password now is a link in the LAMS login page that allows users to change their password by entering either their username or their email address. If the entered criteria matches, then an email is sent to the person with a link. The user can click on the link and now update his/her password.

Insert/Merge is a really cool feature that allows teachers to import sequences within sequences. So if you had a sequence that has some activities that you really like, now you can import these activities into another sequence you are working on. Here's an animation.

Popup-size windows. In the past some of you have mentioned that the size of the LAMS popup windows (learner, author, monitor, admin, etc) are rather small (800x600 px by default). Now the size of these popups are configurable from the Admin interface.

These features are on addition to the large number of tasks/bugs/improvements we've been working on the past few weeks. One to emphasize is the new display for branching activities that looks very very cool.

Anyway, as we are getting closer to release I will update your translations next Friday April 25th.

Let me know if you have any questions or need any help with anything...

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

84: New Translating Feature!
In response to 83 04/18/08 01:42 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Today I finally implemented a new translating feature that will make things a lot easier to ensure quality translations across all tools (many things to Spyros Papadakis and Daniel Schneider to suggest this).

When you go to the translation page and you are logged in as a translator, you will see a new feature:

"Search and Translate Labels across modules"

This feature will allow you to search for words/phrases in *all* your language translations across modules.

Practically this means that if you think you are using two different words (for example "student" and "learner") and you want to ensure that you are consistent, this feature will allow you to find these labels and change them accordingly in a bulk translation update.

Of course, you might want to talk to your fellow language translators so that you all use the consistent words/phrases as you won't want to keep overwriting each other's labels :-)

Let me know what you think about this and if you can think of any other ways to improve this.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum