Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Re: Re: Re: Migrate LAMS 1 sequences to LAMS 2

Search: 

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Migrate LAMS 1 sequences to LAMS 2
In response to 4 05/29/08 07:57 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
That is extremely helpful Fiona, thank you.

I can see why this is the kind of thing that you would hesitate to add to a wiki because it is quite involved.

Just to make sure I completely understood, I have attached a screenshot of the Select Sequence screen in the Blackboard unit that I am managing.

Looking at this in the light of your explanation, is it correct to suggest that:

1. There are no LAMS sequences available for shared editing as yet.
2. There are 3 LAMS sequences "running" in one course and another (apparently empty) one running somewhere else. I actually don't think they really are running, because I can't see them anywhere, but maybe LAMS "thinks" they are.
3. There are two sequences that I must have imported myself (I can't remember doing this, but I must have), and they are not available to anyone else.

Do I pass? ;)

Tim.

Posted by Timothy Allen

Attachments:
6: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Migrate LAMS 1 sequences to LAMS 2
In response to 5 05/29/08 09:44 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yes Tim, you pass with flying colours.

As for those three that are running but you can't see them in Blackboard. Could you have started them and then hidden them on the Blackboard side, or set them up to run sometime in the future? Once you start them in LAMS the copies of the learning design will stay in the folder, even if you then remove the link to the lesson on the Blackboard side.

If I remember correctly, the Mac Uni installation of Blackboard CE can use some sort of sub-section level container for grouping things the students can do - so maybe they were started in one of these containers and then the container removed or hidden? Sorry - I can't remember what these containers are called. I just don't use Blackboard enough to remember the terminology.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

7: Re: Migrate LAMS 1 sequences to LAMS 2
In response to 6 05/29/08 11:01 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yes I think those funny sub-containers are call "LAMS links" - it is inconsistent with the Blackboard GUI, but I guess they only had access to the API...

Anyway, many thanks for your help. Now I can get going on sorting out the instructor's Byzantine LAMS sequence. :D

By the way, I think your wiki is great. I am hoping to promote the use of wikis more at Macquarie, but sadly they are probably too cheap to pay for a great platform like confluence. :(

Posted by Timothy Allen

8: Re: Migrate LAMS 1 sequences to LAMS 2
In response to 6 05/30/08 01:11 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Can I bother you with one last question?

In my testing, I have noticed that whenever I create a LAMS lesson within Blackboard, and then delete the lesson, the read-only copy that was being used for the lesson cannot be deleted!

This means that deleted LAMS lessons will accumulate and can never be removed from the LAMS workspace!

Is this a bug or am I not doing it properly?

Tim.

Posted by Timothy Allen

9: Re: Re: Migrate LAMS 1 sequences to LAMS 2
In response to 8 05/30/08 01:28 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
In general, yes, they will accumulate in LAMS database and can't be removed.

In future versions of LAMS (when people's databases are getting huge) we may have to look at this but at the moment we tend to take a conservative approach of better to leave it there than remove it and have some decide they wanted it back later.

So when you are removing it in Blackboard, you are removing the student's link to it, rather than actually removing it in LAMS.

Also on your comment about Confluence. Yes, we really like using Confluence for the wiki. We are very appreciative that Atlassian has allowed us to use it under a special license made available to open source projects, otherwise we wouldn't be using Confluence for the wiki (or JIRA and Fisheye for Bug Tracking for that matter).

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum