Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: This activity has no input transition

You may request notification for This activity has no input transition.
Search: 

1: This activity has no input transition
11/25/08 08:13 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I am getting the "This activity has no input transition" error message.

It is not clear where this is coming from. How can I diagnose this? It seems as if the activity is "broken".

I tried created a simple new activity with the same components as the one that gave the error message and I cannot reproduce the problem.

Where can I look to track this down?

Posted by Dave Bauer

2: Re: This activity has no input transition
In response to 1 11/25/08 08:20 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Dave,

This error is generated when flash thinks there exists more than one activity with no input transitions.

The error message itself should indicate the title of the activity(ies) which do not have an input transition. If there is only one such activity on the canvas, then flash is either not displaying one or more of the activities correctly or somehow miscalculating the number of activities without input transitions.

Would it be possible to attach a copy of the Learning Design in question to this thread so we can investigate the problem?

Thanks,

Daniel

Posted by Daniel Carlier

3: Re: This activity has no input transition
In response to 1 11/25/08 08:53 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Dave, I just remembered it's not possible to export an invalid design so you won't be able to send me a copy of it. Instead could you please open up the design in author and press

Ctrl + Alt + ?

to open up the flash debugger. Then could you please copy over the entire log to a text file and attach it to this thread along with any screenshots of the design (including any nested levels if applicable, ie inside branching).

Thanks again,

Daniel

Posted by Daniel Carlier

4: Re: This activity has no input transition
In response to 1 12/01/08 12:08 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
It looks like you can trigger this error by Live Editing a sequence where the first activity is a gate. If you delete the gate then all the subsequent activities show no input transition.

So far that is the only way I can reproduce the issue.

Posted by Dave Bauer

8: Re: Re: This activity has no input transition
In response to 4 12/01/08 02:03 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Dave,

I wasn't able to reproduce this problem with your instructions.

I created a sequence with a gate as its first activity. Then I started a lesson and then remove the only gate I could remove (the one I entered in Author) and then rejoin the system gate and the next activity. Apply changes and it works.

See the pictures attached for the sequence of events.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Attachments:
5: Re: This activity has no input transition
In response to 1 12/01/08 12:14 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
In a related note, if you get an activity into this state where you cannot save it due to missing transitions, the original editor, or any other administrator can not enter LAMS monitor. I get the message that another user is editing hte activity. This happens even if I am logged in as the particular user LAMS claims is editing.

Once this happens I can not edit to fix the activity. It appears to happen if there are missing transitions, and the activity is not saved from live edit, and the edtior closes the browser window.

Posted by Dave Bauer

9: Re: Re: This activity has no input transition
In response to 5 12/01/08 02:10 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Dave,

When a monitor user is using Live Edit, he/she is the only one that can modify the sequence. If she goes away and doesn't apply changes, then sequence still looks "locked" to all other monitors unless the user "Apply changes".

Here's more on the Live Edit feature.

Daniel is looking into the missing transition issue to see where/how this is happening.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

10: Re: Re: Re: This activity has no input transition
In response to 9 12/01/08 02:17 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie,

Yes I understand why it's locked, but if the original user goes away, even that user can not unlock it or work on the activity. That is the experience we are having anyway.

Posted by Dave Bauer

6: Re: This activity has no input transition
In response to 1 12/01/08 01:48 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I got another activity into this same mode.

I collected the output of the debugger.

Notice this activity ends up with two stop gates because I went into the database and turned off the edit lock so I could go in to edit it.

Posted by Dave Bauer

Attachments:
7: Re: This activity has no input transition
In response to 1 12/01/08 01:50 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Here is the screenshot of the lesson.

Posted by Dave Bauer

Attachments:
11: Re: Re: This activity has no input transition
In response to 7 12/01/08 11:27 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Dave,

I too have been unable to reproduce the error you speak of. I suspect it may have been fixed with code updates that have since taken place after the 2.1 release. Would you mind seeing if you can reproduce the error on our translations server? The address is:

http://translations.lamscommunity.org/lams

username:test3
password:test3

Has the lesson itself been started by any learners when you get the error?

Thanks again

Daniel

Posted by Daniel Carlier

12: Re: Re: Re: This activity has no input transition
In response to 11 12/02/08 09:59 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I created a sequence then added it as a lesson on the translation server.

Next I went into live edit mode and deleted one activity and replaced it with another.

I tried to Apply Changes to save it and it took a very long time, and then I got an error message.

Screenshot attached.

No learners had started the lesson at that point.

To answer your question, on my client's server, I do believe learners had started the activity, I'll double check if I can.

Posted by Dave Bauer

Attachments:
13: Re: Re: Re: Re: This activity has no input transition
In response to 12 12/02/08 11:07 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your feedback. We made some changes yesterday which we believe have now fixed that system error message that you received.

We are currently running the updated code on another one of our servers (which should be a bit faster also). The address is:

http://shaun.melcoe.mq.edu.au/lams

username:test3
password:test3

Could you please see if you are still able to reproduce the problem?

Just as a side note I should point out that if any learners have joined the lesson. Live edit will place a System Gate (a type of stop gate (which explains the additional gate you see in live edit)) immediately after the last activity that has been attempted by one or more learners in the lesson. So this is expected behavior. All activities that come before the system gate should be read only. However you should be able to edit anything after the System Gate. If you're curious, you can investigate what type of gate it is in the property inspector.

Thanks again

Daniel

Posted by Daniel Carlier

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum