Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Unable to connect to localhost - Urgent!

You may request notification for Unable to connect to localhost - Urgent!.
Search: 

1: Unable to connect to localhost - Urgent!
By: C Z
01/26/10 12:16 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hello,

I have a big problem trying to install lams on my computer and make it work properly.
The files i use and install (in this order shown below) are the following three:
1. jdk-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe (java)
2. xampp-win32-1.7.3.exe (XAMPP)
3. LAMS-2.3 (lams)

Everything is left on the default settings, apart from the mysql directory that i have to specify myself which in this case is C:\xampp\mysql.
I just want to try out some thing on lams so for the time i only need to work on my computer therefor using the localhost and nothing more.
After everything is installed, i open up the xampp control panel, activate the mysql service ("start") and finally open firefox where i input the following address:
http://localhost:8080/lams/
The first time i did that, lams worked fine.
I input username and password "sysadmin", made a test lesson, saved it and logged out. But that was it. Any other time i tried to log in again, i got an error message telling me that the password/usename is incorrect and then i could not even see this page. So now, the only thing that i get is the "problem loading page" page, with the following known message:

"Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:8080
* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

I really need your help, i think that i am out of new ideas?
Anyone? I have checked my firewall (windows firewall) and it is not blocking firefox. I also added an exception on port 8080. Nothing changed.
On port-check (xampp) the port 8080 is free.

And something else:
Could you please clarify me where exactly my work is saved?
Which directory keeps my newly created files?
Additionally, is there a file where i can see the stored username/password that is to be used to login on localhost?

I would really appreciate any suggestions/solutions...

Thank you in advance.
CZ

Posted by C Z

2: Re: Unable to connect to localhost - Urgent!
In response to 1 01/26/10 05:01 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,

When you get the 'unable to connect' message, did you start the LAMS server? (ie 'Start LAMS' shortcut in Start Menu) When you finish installing LAMS it may start it automatically for you, but it's not set to start automatically with your computer.

LAMS data is saved in the database - you can't manage it as you would normal files. e.g. to retrieve a saved sequence you need to export it from LAMS Author.

Files that you upload are a different story - these are stored in C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\server\default\deploy\lams.ear\lams-www.war\secure if uploaded via the fckeditor, or C:\lams\repository if uploaded via a tool.

Usernames and passwords are stored in the database, but you can't view passwords. You can however change them if you have access to the database.

Cheers

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

3: Re: Re: Unable to connect to localhost - Urgent!
By: C Z
In response to 2 01/27/10 06:26 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I really really thank you for the prompt reply!
Your suggestion fixed the problem (probably).
Now I start the lams server and although i get a sort of error message (could not start lamsv2 service etc. ...) I can access localhost and do my job.
Thank you very much!

CZ

Posted by C Z

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS