Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: TWO NEW IDEAS FOR MANAGING ONLINE LAMS STUDENTS

You may request notification for TWO NEW IDEAS FOR MANAGING ONLINE LAMS STUDENTS.
Search: 

1: TWO NEW IDEAS FOR MANAGING ONLINE LAMS STUDENTS
03/18/10 04:58 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
A REALLY useful thing that will definitely improve the monitoring capabilities of LAMS and save teachers a lot of time is the ability to prepare reports regarding which students are working online and which ones are not working or are not working enough. In this way teachers or an appointed person could actually ring up students to 'remind them' that they are falling behind.

I therefore suggest a self-study online student work schedule needs to be designed in which targets are made clear to online students by teachers i.e. week one --complete sequence 1 and add comment to forum, week two complete sequence 2 and submit file etc....If students fall behind they would be automatically emailed, and possibly twittered, facebooked, smsed. Also a telephone contact list would be created---it would be presented in order of who needs to be contacted first.

A second idea is to incorporate a 'new' message flag option for forum tools. This would particularly help teachers who are using the forum tool exclusively. This would save monitoring teachers a lot of time i.e. they wouldn't have to check for new messages by opening up the forum.

Posted by Chris Alexander

2: Re: TWO NEW IDEAS FOR MANAGING ONLINE LAMS STUDENTS
In response to 1 03/22/10 09:06 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Chris,

> a self-study online student work schedule needs to be designed in which targets are made clear to online students
> by teachers

Where would this happen? Author? Monitor? Does each student have its own work schedule? Same for all students?

> A second idea is to incorporate a 'new' message flag option for forum tools. This would particularly help teachers who
> are using the forum tool exclusively. This would save monitoring teachers a lot of time i.e. they wouldn't have to
> check for new messages by opening up the forum.

You mean that the teacher gets an email when messages are posted in a forum?

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: TWO NEW IDEAS FOR MANAGING ONLINE LAMS STUDENTS
In response to 2 03/23/10 01:16 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
"You mean that the teacher gets an email when messages are posted in a forum?"

I think it would be very useful if there were two options in the Forum Advanced Tab:
1) E-mail to teacher;
2) E-mail to learners.

Should also be an e-mail to learners when the teacher edits an activity.

Posted by Edoardo Montefusco

4: Re: Re: Re: TWO NEW IDEAS FOR MANAGING ONLINE LAMS STUDENTS
In response to 3 03/23/10 08:23 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> 1) E-mail to teacher;
> 2) E-mail to learners.

Cool. I've just added this feature to the list:

http://bugs.lamsfoundation.org/browse/LDEV-2545

Let me know if we are missing anything.

> Should also be an e-mail to learners when the teacher edits an activity

So we should send the email to students that _already_ have reached that activity? I think if you haven't reached that activity there's no much point in telling you that it has changed, right?

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: TWO NEW IDEAS FOR MANAGING ONLINE LAMS STUDENTS
In response to 4 03/24/10 03:59 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
"So we should send the email to students that _already_ have reached that activity?"

Right.

Thanks,
Edoardo

Posted by Edoardo Montefusco

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum