Forum Problems Installing LAMS: lams 1.0.2 manual installation

You may request notification for lams 1.0.2 manual installation.
Search: 

1: lams 1.0.2 manual installation
02/12/06 09:05 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The prerequisites are Java SDK 1.4.2 and MySQL installed.
How do I tested these are working properly?
Thanks and regards
Adriana Pasatovic

Posted by adriana pasatovic

2: Re: lams 1.0.2 manual installation
In response to 1 02/12/06 09:15 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
At a command/shell prompt, type 'java -version' to test your java version, and 'mysql -u root -p' to login to your MySQL server (to test that it's running). It will prompt you for MySQL's root password.

The above commands assume your Java and MySQL directories are in your PATH environment variable - you could also type those commands using their full path. e.g. '/usr/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/java -version'

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

3: Re: lams 1.0.2 manual installation
In response to 1 02/13/06 11:08 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Many thanks for the reply. The next step installing and configuring jboss are not detailed so I follow lams 1.0.1 manual installation?
That means copy the jboss folder to lams directory and change the system environmental variables and the other steps?

Thanks and regards
Adriana

4: Re: lams 1.0.2 manual installation
In response to 1 02/14/06 12:02 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I'm not sure if you're using old instructions, but there's a document here http://www.lamsinternational.com/documentation/LAMS%201.0.2%20Manual%20Installation.html for 1.0.2.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

5: Re: Re: lams 1.0.2 manual installation
In response to 4 02/14/06 03:52 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I do both because the instruction from the lams 1.0.2 manual installation are not enough for me. As a beginner I need instructions more detailed. So what do you suggest?
Thanks and regards
Adriana

6: Re: lams 1.0.2 manual installation
In response to 1 02/14/06 05:13 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
What OS are you installing on? You can ask here, or email me if you prefer. I think the 1.0.2 instructions are simpler than the 1.0.1 ones - but yes, at the expense of less detail. Some things changed between 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 though, like running LAMS as a service on Linux.

> That means copy the jboss folder to lams directory and change the system environmental variables and the other steps?

Inside the lams-server1.0.2 directory is the jboss folder - just copy this to where you wish to install LAMS, e.g. /usr/local/lams. You don't need to worry about environment variables at this stage, that is handled inside the Ant configuration file (build.properties).

So for Linux:
cd /path/to/lams-server1.0.2
cp -r jboss /usr/local/lams

Feel free to email me if you need help with getting through the steps.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

7: Re: lams 1.0.2 manual installation
In response to 1 02/21/06 09:11 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I to have been battling with this installation for some time now. As a relative newcommer I am frustrated at times by instructions that miss 'obvious' steps.

I have been baffled as to why I couldn't started by installing the JBOSS files. I noticed little quirk with the cp command and did a little investigation.

If /usr/local/lams does NOT exist (at the start of installation) then the command cp -r jboss /usr/local/lams creates a folder called /usr/local/lams in which all the jboss sub folders are copied.

If /usr/local/lams DOES exist (by doing mkdir /usr/local/lams) then the command
cp -r jboss /usr/local/lams produces a very different result - namely it creates the correct folder structure /usr/local/lams/jboss and places the sub folders inside that. This makes perfect sense when you examine the lams.conf files

The line "copy the jboss directory to your desired installation location (e.g. /usr/local/lams)" implies the need to create /usr/local/lams first - but unfortunately being a mere beginner I spent hours trying to get things working before hand.

As these instructions are supposed to be for a range of users I would suggest that they are modified in the case of jboss installation to:

mkdir /usr/local/lams
cp -r jboss /usr/local/lams

I hope this helps others

Posted by Neil Hattan

8: Re: lams 1.0.2 manual installation
In response to 1 02/21/06 06:58 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Cheers for the feedback, Neil. While I know it isn't perfect first off, constructive feedback is always appreciated. I've just given the online manual guide a mini going over, now it is a little more complete. I've also included a link to Clive Gould's excellent blog post of his LAMS installation.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

9: Re: lams 1.0.2 manual installation
In response to 1 02/21/06 07:34 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Just had a look at the new and improved manual instructions - thanks for such a quick response - I salute you!

Posted by Neil Hattan

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS