Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Re: lams 1.0.2 manual installation

Search: 

7: Re: lams 1.0.2 manual installation
In response to 1 02/21/06 09:11 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I to have been battling with this installation for some time now. As a relative newcommer I am frustrated at times by instructions that miss 'obvious' steps.

I have been baffled as to why I couldn't started by installing the JBOSS files. I noticed little quirk with the cp command and did a little investigation.

If /usr/local/lams does NOT exist (at the start of installation) then the command cp -r jboss /usr/local/lams creates a folder called /usr/local/lams in which all the jboss sub folders are copied.

If /usr/local/lams DOES exist (by doing mkdir /usr/local/lams) then the command
cp -r jboss /usr/local/lams produces a very different result - namely it creates the correct folder structure /usr/local/lams/jboss and places the sub folders inside that. This makes perfect sense when you examine the lams.conf files

The line "copy the jboss directory to your desired installation location (e.g. /usr/local/lams)" implies the need to create /usr/local/lams first - but unfortunately being a mere beginner I spent hours trying to get things working before hand.

As these instructions are supposed to be for a range of users I would suggest that they are modified in the case of jboss installation to:

mkdir /usr/local/lams
cp -r jboss /usr/local/lams

I hope this helps others

Posted by Neil Hattan

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS