Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Problem building LAMS on Sakai 2-1-1(source installation)

You may request notification for Problem building LAMS on Sakai 2-1-1(source installation).
Search: 

1: Problem building LAMS on Sakai 2-1-1(source installation)
04/18/06 05:16 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Could you, please, tell me if I can implement a LAMS tool installation from source on Sakai version 2-1-1 (as there is instruction only for v.2.0.1), and what changes should be done to the configuration files to make it possible? I tried to simply edit the project.xml file and replace the version ‘2.0.1’ statement with ‘sakai_2-1-1’ but now I get the following error message:

------------------

BUILD FAILED

Goal "sakai" does not exist in this project.

Final Memory: 2M/4M

Total time: 1 seconds

Finished at: Tue Apr 18 14:22:20 PDT 2006

--------------------

I would really appriciate your help.
Regards
Galina
P.S. I have Sakai version 2-1-1 on Windows 2003 machine.

Posted by Galina Manirko

Attachments:
2: Re: Problem building LAMS on Sakai 2-1-1(source installation)
In response to 1 04/18/06 10:52 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I tried to install Sakai 2.1.1 from source code and failed.
My environment is JDK1.4.2_10 + Apache-Tomcat-5.5.16 + Maven 1.0.2.

The build and deploy process failed due to a JUnit test failure which was testConvertStringToTime or something like that.

Posted by Fei Yang

3: Re: Re: Problem building LAMS on Sakai 2-1-1(source installation)
In response to 2 04/19/06 09:58 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The recommended environment is JDK 1.4.2 (I have 1.4.2_10) + Tomcat 5.5.9 + Maven 1.0.2. There is a detailed instruction on building Sakai from source: http://cvs.sakaiproject.org/release/2.1.1/InstallGuide.html
I followed it and it worked for me.

Posted by Galina Manirko

4: Re: Re: Re: Problem building LAMS on Sakai 2-1-1(source installation)
In response to 3 04/19/06 08:36 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
In that case, it should have been due to the Apache_Tomcat_5.5.16. I'll try Apache_Tomcat_5.5.9 later on.

Posted by Fei Yang

5: Re: Problem building LAMS on Sakai 2-1-1(source installation)
In response to 1 04/24/06 10:43 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Galina,

I tried building Sakai 2.1.2 and the Sakai-LAMS-tool from source, and encountered some hurdles:

- first, maven couldn't download the required 2.0.1 dependencies, so like you I changed the version from '2.0.1' to 'sakai_2-1-2' (after doing this i wasn't sure if it would work at all even if it did build successfully, but at this point i was just trying to get it to build).
- after that, one of the listed dependencies (sakai-jsf-widgets-1) failed to download, and after googling (http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/ENC/JSF+Tag+JARs+in+Sakai+2.5) I decided to just comment that bit out of the project.xml.
- this is when I got a similar error, 'Goal 'clean_build_deploy' does not exist in this project'.  Not sure why this came up, but I got around it by copy/pasting the sakai plugin dependency from sakai-src/project.xml into sakai-lams/project.xml.  It looks like this:

<dependency>
            <groupId>sakaiproject</groupId>
            <artifactId>sakai</artifactId>
            <version>${sakai.plugin.version}</version>
            <type>plugin</type>
        </dependency>

I replaced ${sakai.plugin.version} with '2.2' (as in my .maven/repository/sakaiproject/plugins directory I already had a sakai-2.2.jar).

After that, BUILD SUCCESSFUL.

Then I tested it out on my local machine - didn't work.  See the attached file for the exception I got.

I used Tomcat 5.5.16, JDK 1.4.2_04, Maven 1.0.2.  Fei, not sure why 5.5.16 didn't compile for you <confused>

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

Attachments:
6: Re: Problem building LAMS on Sakai 2-1-1(source installation)
In response to 1 05/02/06 07:53 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
As I investigated, LAMS tool doesn't work with Sakai 2.1.x is because LAMS server cannot get sakai user infomation from Sakai server any more. For some reason, Sakai starts filtering out any request to its any sub web application from outside sakai.

LAMS developers have to find a way out to work with Sakai 2.1.x

Posted by Fei Yang

7: Re: Problem building LAMS on Sakai 2-1-1(source installation)
In response to 1 06/26/06 05:54 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Has anybody found a solution for this?

Posted by Nico Coetzee

8: Re: Re: Problem building LAMS on Sakai 2-1-1(source installation)
In response to 7 06/26/06 06:06 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Nico, we haven't looked into this yet as we are in the latest stages of releasing LAMS 2.0 beta1.

So far what we know about this is that there has been a slight change in Sakai 2.1.1 code that breaks the our integration code. We need to look at this carefully as we might need to refactor some of our code.Fei, our Sakai man, is finalizing 2.0 admin, but we'll get to this next week.

Thanks for your patience.

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum