Forum Problems Installing LAMS: LAMStwo integration with Moodle 1.7

You may request notification for LAMStwo integration with Moodle 1.7.
Search: 

1: LAMStwo integration with Moodle 1.7
03/23/07 02:20 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,

My name is Mike Boughton and I assist with IT support at Narrogin Senior High School, Western Australia.

We have just set up Moodle 1.7 via the complete XAMMP package. LAMS 2.0 setup as per instructions. I installed JDK first, MUSQL 5 was already present in moodle, and then installed wildfire 3.1.1. Wildfire installed correctly and I used the embeded database. During the LAMS installation I pointed it to the mysql folder located in the moodle directory. LAMS installed and ran as per normal. I logged in successfully and set up the server id and key etc...

The issue is with the moodle integration. The instructions say to unzip the LAMSTWO file. I then moved the LAMSTWO folder to the c:\moodle\moodle\mod folder. (the whole moodle-xammp setup is in one folder on c drive called moodle. The acutual moodle folder is within this) I cut and pasted the lamstwo.php file into c:\moodle\moodle/lang/en_utf8/ folder. When I log into moodle a message appears at the top of the page that reads 'Module "lamstwo" is not readable - check permissions'. I have made sure that the php file and the LAMSTWO folder have r/w permissions for users.

Is there anything I have missed or is there a compatibiliy issure.

Many thank in advance

Mike B

Posted by Michael Boughton

2: Re: LAMStwo integration with Moodle 1.7
In response to 1 03/23/07 02:23 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I forgot to mention that I can't setup the lams two module because it is not listed in the Module/Activities listing and therefore I can't finish setting up the connection between the moodle server and lams.

Many thanks again in advance,

Mike B

3: Re: Re: LAMStwo integration with Moodle 1.7
In response to 2 03/24/07 11:31 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Michael,

No doubt you have gone to the "notifications" screen to complete the installation already...

You checked the permissions on the php file and the LAMS 2 module folder. Did you also check the permissions for all files in that folder?

Just a couple of ideas, hope you can get it sorted out.

Tim.

Posted by Timothy Allen

4: Re: Re: LAMStwo integration with Moodle 1.7
In response to 2 03/26/07 12:35 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I traced the error message to the php function 'is_readable', which is returning false. In moodle/lib/moodlelib.php, ‘moodle_needs_upgrading()’ runs is_readable on each module’s
version.php. In this case, moodle/mod/lamstwo/version.php.

Perhaps some other app has a lock on it (even though theoretically it should still be able to be read). The only thing similar to this that I’ve come across is when I want to open one of jboss’ log files in Windows using Wordpad, and Wordpad will complain saying the file is in use. Is it possible that you've got lamstwo's version.php open in an editor?

Another (remote) possibility is a bug in the PHP function similar to the one reported here http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=30931. But if this were the case there'd probably be more errors.

Did you manage to install the lamstwo tables by accessing http://moodle server/moodle/admin/? It should show up in the modules listing after that.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

5: Re: LAMStwo integration with Moodle 1.7
In response to 1 03/26/07 01:03 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi All,

I found the problem :). The instructions about integrating LAMS say to unzip the file and put the lamstwo folder into the /moodle/mod folder which I dutifully did. Within this folder is another folder called lamstwo and it was this folder I had to place and not the parent folder by the same name. Moodle could now find the *.php files it was looking for in the right place. The 'could not read because of permission' issue obviously was a cry for help that it couldn't find the files in the first place. LAMS is now working fine with the integration with moodle.

Many thank to Timothy and Jun-Dir Liew and others for replying to my post.

Regards Mike B

6: Re: Re: LAMStwo integration with Moodle 1.7
In response to 5 07/29/07 01:08 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Mike,
I am really confused here... you seem to have done exactly what the instructions say.
The lamstwo folder does not have another lamstwo folder in it, so which folder did you place in the moodle/mod folder??
Thanx
K

Posted by karan kalha

7: Re: Re: LAMStwo integration with Moodle 1.7
In response to 5 07/29/07 01:08 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Mike,
I am really confused here... you seem to have done exactly what the instructions say.
The lamstwo folder does not have another lamstwo folder in it, so which folder did you place in the moodle/mod folder??
Thanx
K

Posted by karan kalha

8: Re: Re: Re: LAMStwo integration with Moodle 1.7
In response to 7 07/29/07 06:14 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I'm just guessing here, but maybe Mike got a lamstwo folder inside a lamstwo folder due to how the module upzipped.

The file you download is called "lamstwo.zip" and many zip programs will unzip the contents of the zip file and put them all in a folder called "lamstwo". Now the zip file contains a folder "lamstwo", so you end up with a lamstwo folder inside a lamstwo folder.

If this is the case, then it is the inside lamstwo folder that must be copied to moodle/mod. That is, the lamstwo folder that contains the files calender.css, calendar.js, callt.gif, mod.html, lib.php, etc.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS