Forum Problems Installing LAMS: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1

You may request notification for problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1.
Search: 

1: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
07/24/09 03:11 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hello , i had installed lams 2.3 successfully and then i wanted to do an upgrade to version 2.3.1.My operationg system is ubuntu 8.0.4.I download the lams-unix-patch-2.3.1.tar.gz since when i download it the version for ubuntu did not exist.So i unzip it and run the script install-lams-patch.sh and all the proccess gone well.Lams update successfully.But after that lams and jboss aren't working at all.At the logs of jboss i see that some other proccess was running (port 8080 already in use).So i did a restart (because i couldn't kill the proccesses) and with ps -ef|grep java i see that jboss wasn't running.But again when i try to start lams wasn't working.So i try again to run the script run.sh from jboss bin and it displayed a long error message where it says among others :"lamsuser@localhost cannot connect to database".I checked it from command line and the user has all the privileges to connect.Can someone help me?
Thanks for any response.

Posted by giannis ioannidis

2: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 1 07/30/09 06:51 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi i managed to solve the problem.I had to change the password in the jboss-dir/server/default/deploymysql-ds.xml.But now i have another problem.When i run ./run.sh from jboss-dir/bin, lams works fine.But when i try to start it for init.d(the command i use is sudo /etc/init.d/lams start) it doesn't starts.And when i run sudo /etc/init.d/lams status it says
'Removed stale pid file: /var/run/lams2.pid
LAMS 2 Server is not running.'.

Can someone help me?Thanks

3: Re: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 2 07/30/09 08:45 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Inside the /etc/init.d/lams2 script it should look for JAVA_HOME - is your java in a non-standard place? Also if the script was installed by the unix installer then there would be a log file in /path/to/jboss/log/wrapper.log - there might be info there.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

4: Re: Re: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 3 07/31/09 03:31 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The variable java_home is ok but i think the script is wrong. First in function start the option -- $DAEMON_OPTS should be without space. But again it is not running. The variable $DAEMON_OPTS it is not set right(at least to me) it is

DAEMON_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS \
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=$JBOSS_ENDORSED_DIRS \
-classpath $JBOSS_CLASSPATH \
org.jboss.Main $JBOSS_OPTS"
where JAVA_OPTS ="$JAVA_OPTS -Dprogram.name=$PROGNAME"
and $PROGNAME is not set. What should be the value of the variable?
Also in the start of the script is defined
JBOSS_OPTS=
So this again is null.
Could you please tell me the values?
Finally although i have installed lams with the unix installer there is no log file in /path/to/jboss/log/wrapper.log

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 4 08/04/09 01:10 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The settings are fine - it's the same steps that the original run.sh does before running jboss. You're right $PROGNAME is missing, but it seems to work without it. JBOSS_OPTS are optional, so if it's empty, that's ok.
What you can do to debug is run your shell with 'bash -x' - and then execute the startup script from there. It might help pinpoint what the script is doing.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

6: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 4 08/04/09 01:53 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hello Giannis,

Have you at any stage edited your run.sh?

I could be wrong, but for the wrapper to work, I think in run.sh you need to replace these lines (near the bottom):

$JAVA $JAVA_OPTS \
org.jboss.Main $@"

With these lines

echo "$JAVA $JAVA_OPTS \
org.jboss.Main $@"

Essentially printing the command instead of running it. backup your run.sh first then give this a try.

Jundir is this correct?

Luke

Posted by Luke Foxton

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 6 08/04/09 12:02 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks all very much for your responses.Yes Jun-Dir-Liew the settings are optional, i open the run.sh from jboss and the settings are the same.But i can't understand why it is not running form /etc/init.d/lams while it is running from run.sh.The message that i get when i check the status (sudo /etc/init.d/lams status) is
Removed stale pid file: /var/run/lams2.pid
LAMS 2 Server is not running.
Does anyone knows why i get this message?
I run the script with -x option and i check all the values of variables which are correct.So i guess that the syntax of the start-stop-command in the start function is wrong.When i echo it with the specific values that i have i get this

start-stop-daemon --start --background --make-pidfile --pidfile /var/run/lams2.pid --chuid lams:lams --exec /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/bin/java -- -server -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:MaxNewSize=204m -XX:SurvivorRatio=32 -Dprogram.name=lams2 -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/jboss-4.0.2/lib/endorsed -classpath /usr/share/jboss-4.0.2/bin/run.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/lib/tools.jar org.jboss.Main start

Can someone check it or just post his script ?
As for the log file i will change it in a while(but i have never edited this).

Thanks again.

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 7 08/04/09 06:21 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The init script used in our debian package can be found here:

http://lamscvs.melcoe.mq.edu.au/fisheye/browse/~raw,r=1.2/lams/debian_installer/lams2/debian/lams2.init

Just to clarify, you've installed the debian package, correct? In your first post you mentioned lams-unix-patch-2.3.1.tar.gz (separate).

Anyway, maybe a diff between your copy of the script and the above copy might help.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

9: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 8 08/05/09 12:04 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The link you gave me is not working.Could you please give another link?I have installed the unix package and not the debian package because when i first installed it the version for ubuntu didn't exist and so i continue with the version for unix.
Thanks again

10: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 9 08/06/09 06:35 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Giannis, please try with the link again. There was a network outage last night but it should all be working now.

Thanks

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

11: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 10 09/03/09 03:22 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi sorry for the delayed response.Ok i checked the file and it is almost the same.I am thinking to unistall lams and install the ubuntu version.But as i can see there is not an uninstall script or anything else.What can i do in order to uninstall it properly?I think it is not a good idea just delete or just install the ubuntu version.
Thanks again for any response.

12: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 11 09/03/09 08:48 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Giannis,

Did you install LAMS using the debian package? if so, I think you can just run

# apt-get remove LAMS

And that will uninstall it for you.

Thanks,

Ernie

13: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 12 09/04/09 12:23 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I installed lams using the unix package not the debian(i have said it again in previous messages).How can i unistall it?
Thanks

14: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 13 09/05/09 10:04 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Giannis,

If you remove the jboss directory that's pretty much it. You can also remove the database from mysql and also the content repository folders (see /etc/lams2 for location).

Also remove the lams2 script from /etc/init.d and I think that's all.

Thanks,

Ernie

15: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 14 09/07/09 01:37 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hello,just to clarify when you said "remove the jboss directory" you mean remove the directory lams.ear which is inside the tomcat dir and not the entirely tomcat dir,right?Because i also installed jboss with the unix package and i can't find how to unistall it too (If you know how to uninstall jboss please tell me,because i would like to install the deb pakcage).
Thanks.

16: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems after upgrating to lams 2.3.1
In response to 15 09/07/09 08:47 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
To remove jboss, just delete the jboss folder. This is assuming you installed it by extracting it from a zip or .tar.gz from jboss.org.

When you install the lams2 deb package it will also install jboss4 as a debian package - so no need to keep your current jboss.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS