Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Previous Activity or the image of a Left Arrow Button

Search: 

15: Re: Previous Activity or the image of a Left Arrow Button
In response to 1 03/15/11 01:48 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi everyone,

Indeed very good ideas... well I guess my job is to try to come up with a visual concept that can encompass them as best as we can :-)

So I think we are all happy to have a "previous" button but probably the main issue here is to use pop-ups or not. So I have an idea that might be solve this issue for students in some sort of simple way. Here are some mockups:

In here we have the Previous activity button on the left hand side of the page (opposite to the next activity one).

As you can see the button has an arrow pointing down, so if you click on that arrow, then the button expands asking you whether the previous activity should open on a pop-up. I you do click on "Open in pop-up", well, it will do just that.

But if you click on the button directly and *not* on the down pointin arrow, then the previous activity will in the current window.

Before we go about discussing whether we want the "previous" and "next" activity together or up right or bottom right, do you think this address the issue with going back to previous activities and pop-ups?

Do you think it's simple enough for students to go "ah, OK, that's how it works"?

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

16: Re: Re: Previous Activity or the image of a Left Arrow Button
In response to 15 03/15/11 02:00 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Nice Visual Ernie!! The concept (for learners) is great. For my learners ie. Primary and lower secondary, i would lean towards the exclusion of the "pop up" option. Just my 2 or 5 cents worth. Cheers

Posted by Robin Ohia

17: Re: Re: Previous Activity or the image of a Left Arrow Button
In response to 15 03/15/11 04:05 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hey Ernie,

I like that this feature works similar to a link in browser:
i.e. - when you press a link - new page opens up in the same window; and when middle button or right button and select an "open in a new window" option -- then the new window.
also it looks cool.

but I'm afraid to overload the navigation.
so I'd say decide for learners (either open it in the same window or pop-up) and let them use your decision.
The easier is the better! ;)

Posted by Andrey Balan

18: Re: Re: Previous Activity or the image of a Left Arrow Button
In response to 15 03/16/11 05:11 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie,

I think it's simple enough for students.

Thanks

Spyros

Posted by Spyros Papadakis

19: Re: Re: Previous Activity or the image of a Left Arrow Button
In response to 15 04/13/11 09:41 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
This works for me as a way of handling this problem.

Only thing that strikes me is whether "pop-up" is the right text - it could be "new window" - which would take more space (which is bad) but which may be more descriptive for users - although my sense is that most people will guess what pop-up means, so it's probably ok as is - but thought I'd mention it.

Posted by James Dalziel

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum