Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Introducing Localization to LAMSv2.0

Search: 

16: Introducing Localization to LAMSv2.0
In response to 1 08/20/06 11:40 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Translators,

As part of the work in internationalizing LAMS, we have now added localization (or i10n in short).

For the past few months, you've been translating all the labels on each screen on LAMS to all 19 languages. These labels you translate are the actual words or phrases in the screen.

However, i10n is concern with data formats. For instance, in different countries the dates are presented very differently: in Chinese a date is usually presented as 2006-08-21, in Spain: 21/08/2006. Another example the numeral expression in certain countries like India or Japan.

i18n takes care of all this for us.

However, if we want to get the data formated in a particular localization, we need to provide a country.

Therefore, in our internationalization site, we have now added a country to all our 19 translations. So when a person using the English translation but with Australia as country code, it will get dates formated as "21 August 2006" and another one using English (American) will get "August 21, 2006".

But you might be wondering "...and how does this affect my translation work?". The good news is: it doesn't at all :-) So just keep doing your translation work as usual, but be aware of the country label now next to the language.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask here.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum