Forum Problems Installing LAMS: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error

You may request notification for LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error.
Search: 

1: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
02/11/06 11:14 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I have installed Moodle and LAMS both are working independently.
After the integration when I call up a LAMS activity I get the following ERROR:

HTTP Status 404 - /lams/j_security_check

-----------------------------------------------------------

type Status report

message /lams/j_security_check

description The requested resource (/lams/j_security_check) is not available.

------------------------------------------------------------

Look for help and assistance in resolving this issue.
Regards

Garry

Posted by Bhupinder Singh

2: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/11/06 01:44 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I was getting that too until I used the lams-valve.jar from the post:
http://lamscommunity.org/dotlrn/clubs/technicalcommunity/forums/message-view?message%5fid=106456
hope that works for you too

Posted by Jeremy Shankle

9: Re: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 2 02/18/06 07:49 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jeremy, Jun and Ernie,

I am still stock with the Http Error 500.

Shall be grateful for help to sort this out.
The problem comes when we use the advanced method. Is there something different between basic and advanced that is responsible for the error.

Looking for some help and guidance.
Regards

Garry

3: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error & HTTP Status 500 ERROR
In response to 1 02/12/06 04:47 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
My environment
Windows 2000
Error was on account of the lib file calling for the following:
" include_once("../../config.php");"

One I blocked it The error went.
Curretnly this is how this segemnt looks.

/// Library of functions and constants for module lams
//include_once("../../config.php");
require_once($CFG->dirroot.'/lib/datalib.php');
require_once($CFG->dirroot.'/lib/moodlelib.php');
require_once($CFG->dirroot.'/lib/nusoap/nusoap.php');

I notice that the last line is a new addition I am not clear what this calls up??

Are my subsequent problems due to blocking out the line. If I should not block it what should this point to???

After the insrtallation of and creation of the database I believe we have to manually enter something into the table created ???

ERROR on opening the LAMS activity gives the following error:

"HTTP Status 500 - No Context configured to process this request

----------------------------------------------------------

type Status report

message No Context configured to process this request

description The server encountered an internal error (No Context configured to process this request) that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

--------------------------------------------------------

Apache Tomcat/4.1.24-LE-jdk14"

I shall be grateful for help in solving this error. I had previously installed a test instance in Windows XP which went smooth.

Both on a stand alone basis are woring there is an integration issue that I seem to be missing out upon.

Shall be gratefull for help. This is a production server that I am trying to configure.

Thanks in advance.

Garry

4: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/12/06 09:09 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The 404 j_security_check error is a bug in the original 1.0.2 version of LAMS, to fix it you should replace the lams-valve.jar in that release with the one jeremy posted above.

> I notice that the last line is a new addition I am not clear what this calls up??

Do you mean the nusoap line? That's required for communication between the LAMS module and LAMS. There's an issue with using PHP5 with the LAMS integration - basically it has a built in soap library that doesn't work with the LAMS module. You can see the thread about this in this forum, there's a workaround.

> Are my subsequent problems due to blocking out the line. If I should not block it what should this point to???

There shouldn't be a need to block out any line, except for the nusoap one, if you are using PHP5 and it's built in soap support (but this should only be temporary, while a more permanent solution is made by the developers).

> After the insrtallation of and creation of the database I believe we have to manually enter something into the table created ???

Yep, you have to create the entry in LAMS' database so it knows where to send responses to. See this page, http://lamsfoundation.org/integration/lamsintegration/, for details.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

5: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/13/06 03:19 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jun,

Thanks for the info I shall try it out.
I did a reinstall.

DATABASE is not getting CREATED
Using advanced Method.

The database is not getting created attaching the log for your help

Garry

Attachments:
6: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/13/06 03:31 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Jun,
My Database creation problem
Attaching server log

Garry

Attachments:
7: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/14/06 12:00 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> DATABASE is not getting CREATED

is this an error message in the installer? if so, could you possibly post a screenshot? there's another thread where someone possibly has the same problem, where JBoss starts up, but LAMS is not deployed.

If you think you've got your configuration right while using the installer and it still won't work, have a go at doing a manual installation: http://www.lamsinternational.com/documentation/LAMS%201.0.2%20Manual%20Installation.html

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

8: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/16/06 08:20 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Shall try out and get back with the results

10: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/20/06 07:24 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The Advanced option gives some more parameters that you can set. They are:
Server IP Address
Operating System
MySQL Home Directory
MySQL LAMS Database name
MySQL LAMS User/Password
JBoss Home Directory
LAMS Uploads Directory
Tomcat Port
Chat Port
JDK Home Directory

When you get the 500 error, are you accessing http://localhost/lams, or are you going through Moodle?
Is MySQL running?
Have there been any changes made to JBoss? The server.log you posted in this thread is different to a normal startup's server.log, what was different apart from the fact that you used the Advanced installation method?

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

11: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/21/06 09:18 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I am only accessing using
http://localhost/lams

My moodle integration is not yet done becauese I want to have a stable LAMS installation first.

I have not made any changes to the JBOSS. I could try a fresh install if you so suggest once again.

When I set the parameters and run The installation the message of successful LAMS installation comes at the end and when I go to the MY SQL and check out there is no database/ created.

I was thinking that the paths and environbment variables may be a problem. It would be nice if the Environment variables that are set could be checked. COuld you advise the path and variables settings for the Apache, JBOSS, JSDK etc be checked. It would be nice if the variables be advised so as to ensure that the problem isnot at this level.(JUST A THAUGHT--PROCESS OF ELIMINATION) .
The variables set are as under:

ANT_HOME e:\lams\apache_ant\
CATALINA_HOME e:\lams\jboss\tomcat-4.1.x\
java_home e:\program files\java\jdk\
JBOSS_HOME e:\lams\jboss\
jre e:\program files\java\j2re1.4.2_10\bin\javaw.exe
path: e:\jsdk\

Above I have reproduced the paths as they are set in my systems. Could you ahve a look at these to see if they are correct??.

I could give a fresh go at the install after these are varified and modifications if any needed to be done.

PS: After the install the starup and login page apperas as a text page and the Explorer does not open. COuld this lead to Dx of the problem on my installation.

Thanks once again in trying 6o solve my predicament.

Garry

12: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/22/06 04:07 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I could do with help on this issue as well. I also get the following errors, which usually go away once I close the offending browser window and reselect the LAMS Learner link within Moodle. All is then well and the LAMS learner window opens corectly.

Initially when I click on the Open LAMS Learner link I get the following message:

HTTP Status 400 - Invalid direct reference to form login page

type Status report

message Invalid direct reference to form login page

description The request sent by the client was syntactically incorrect (Invalid direct reference to form login page).

Apache Tomcat/4.1.24-LE-jdk14

On refreshing the browser window I then get the following message:

type Status report

Further refeshing the window has no affect. If I close the offending window and click again on the Open LAMS Learner link within Moodle the LAMS learner then opens correctly as expected.

I have downloaded the lams-valve.jar.zip from the archive as suggested, but when I unpack it I get:

[root@vle ~]# unzip lams-valve*
Archive: lams-valve.jar.zip
creating: META-INF/
inflating: META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
creating: org/
creating: org/lamsfoundation/
creating: org/lamsfoundation/ld/
creating: org/lamsfoundation/ld/security/
creating: org/lamsfoundation/ld/security/valve/
inflating: org/lamsfoundation/ld/security/valve/LoginRequestValve.class

What on earth do I now do with the contents of the META-INF and org directories?

I am an ordinary LAMS installer not a Java/JSP expert. Can someone please post some easy to follow guidance?

We'd like to trial LAMS/Moodle integration with our students but would like this working reliably first...

Thanks very much

Clive

Posted by Clive Gould

13: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/22/06 04:42 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Garry,

If you're using the Advanced method in the installer, you don't need to worry about *any* environment variables - the installer works without you having to set them. The installer also asks you for the location of your SDK, so you don't even need to have JAVA_HOME set.

In the directory where you installed LAMS (by default C:\lams), the installer leaves a lams-config.log, and install.log. The lams-config.log will tell us if there was a problem with creating the database.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

14: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/22/06 04:46 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The file is called lams-valve.jar, I think what's happened is IE has saved it as a .zip for you. This has happened to me before. .jar and .war files are basically compressed java libraries/applications; for lams-valve.jar, just place the file in your $JBOSS_HOME/server/default/lib directory, no need to unzip it.

Let us know if this doesn't solve the 400/404 errors.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

15: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/23/06 12:36 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I have done a fresh install and checked the files these are the issues that need help.

CONFIG FILE:
The ANT_HOME is set incorrectly needs to be set. This is the requirement that is splet out in the LAMS-config file.

THE MY.ini FIle lying in the folder LAMS
Shows that the path to the directory is:

#Path to installation directory. All paths are usually resolved relative to this.
basedir="C:/Program Files/MySQL/MySQL Server 4.1/"
#Path to the database root
datadir="C:/Program Files/MySQL/MySQL Server 4.1/Data/"

The path that I set while running the advanced installer is as under:
E:\\Program Files\easyphp\mysql\

I need help in resolving how to set thew parameters.

The reason for the not installation of the database is evident I believe.

Look for your help and suggestions.

Garry

Attachments:
16: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/23/06 02:28 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I have copied the lams-valve.jar file into

/home/lams-server1.0.2/jboss/server/default/lib

and have stopped and restarted LAMS but the 400/404 problem when I first click on Open LAMS Learner within Moodle is still there.

Do I need to rebuild LAMS for the new lams-valve.jar file to take affect?

Thanks in advance...

Clive

Posted by Clive Gould

17: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/23/06 05:25 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Garry,

You don't need to set ANT_HOME, as the installer comes with it's own version of ant that it will use.

Can you email me your lams-config.log? Or post it here?

There was a thread on getting the installer to work with EasyPHP ... http://www.lamscommunity.org/dotlrn/clubs/technicalcommunity/forums/message-view?message_id=65935

I should also mention that the my.ini located in the lams folder probably isn't the one used by mysql, but just a copy made by the installer. The real one should be in E:\\Program Files\easyphp\mysql\. If the installer found it alright, it should have added this line to the bottom of it:

transaction-isolation = READ-COMMITTED

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

18: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/23/06 06:17 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Clive,

You only need to restart LAMS for the new .jar to take effect.

Did you copy the .jar file to your installed lams location, and not the source file location? e.g. /usr/local/lams, not /home/lams-server1.0.2/...

What build of LAMS are you using? If it's the original 1.0.2 build of 20051019, you may also need to update your lams.war or lams-1.0.jar... to update, do the following:

- download latest lams-server-1.0.2 (currently 20060223)
- unzip
- copy your current build.properties to the new lams-server-1.0.2/lams-package/ant
- run the command 'ant deploy-ejb-jar-war' and 'ant configure'

The first ant command will copy the updated lams files (lams.war, lams-1.0.jar, lams-hibernate.sar), while the second will copy over any updated jboss config files - which is why it's important to use your current build.properties, so you don't overwrite your original settings.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

19: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/24/06 12:38 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks very much the LAMS error messages are now fixed.

I needed to copy the downloaded lams-valve.jar to

/usr/local/lams/jboss/server/default/lib

On restarting LAMS and visting it from Moodle all is now well :-)))

Clive

Posted by Clive Gould

20: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/26/06 12:25 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jun,

I deleted all the variables and reinstalled .
I now get a Database that is created.

However Every time I log in I get the login page as a text page. I have to go back and open the page using a Browser. The application on starting the server does not use the browser directly.

Now I can say that with the guidance of the LAMS team I have the application that is up and running except the login problem.

The valve.jar has been placed in the location specified.

I have read your guidance on how to proceed with the Server Latest build (instructions to upgrade). I am not a java person and am having a difficulty in understanding how to proceed in Win 2000 Environment. A little guidance in this direction is requested.

Look for your help in reaching the final stage. -:0)

PS the LAMS installation is Using advance options.

Regards

Garry

21: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/26/06 06:01 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
>However Every time I log in I get the login page as a text page. I have to go back and open the page using a Browser. The application on starting the server does not use the browser directly.

This looks like your system is associating .html files with a text editor, and not your browser. When you open 'Start LAMS Server' or the 'LAMS Server Login Page' shortcut, they open a html file, which is the one that says 'You will automatically redirected to the login page in a few seconds.'

Just go to Start Menu->Control Panel->Folder Options->File Types tab->scroll down the registered file types till you reach HTML->click 'Change...' and select your browser.

For instructions on how to update that are more detailed than the post above, see the updated 'Updating from 1.0.2 Guide' here http://www.lamsinternational.com/documentation/installation.php, and see how you go.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

22: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/26/06 06:44 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hello Jun,

Thanks for the help It solved the problem.

In a mail above following were the direction to go to latest build.

"If it's the original 1.0.2 build of 20051019, you may also need to update your lams.war or lams-1.0.jar... to update, do the following:
1. - download latest lams-server-1.0.2 (currently 20060223)
2. - unzip
3. - copy your current build.properties to the new lams-server-1.0.2/lams-package/ant
4. - run the command 'ant deploy-ejb-jar-war' and 'ant configure'

I am clear about Steps 1 & 2. I am a little confused about 3&4.
Can you advise where are the above two located to complete the steps.

Do you advise that I upgrade server to (release 20060223)
Your help in denining the path shall enable me to upgrade.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Garry

23: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/26/06 07:58 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
the instructions assume you have installed LAMS manually, in which case you would have configured your settings in the file 'build.properties'. the full instructions are here: http://www.lamsinternational.com/documentation/Updating%20LAMS%201.0.2.html

they are kind of generic instructions more suited to users who have gone through the manual install process. to make it easier, here's how to update your Windows install:

if you've already downloaded build 20060223, all you have to do is replace 4 files. Updating the database with the new build number is optional, and is detailed at the bottom of the link given above.

The 4 files you need to update are:
lams-server-1.0.2/lams-package/deploy/lams-1.0.jar
lams-server-1.0.2/lams-package/deploy/lams.war
lams-server-1.0.2/lams-package/lib/lams-valve.jar
lams-server-1.0.2/lams-package/conf/jboss-service.xml

Stop LAMS. One by one, copy these files and place them in the following locations respectively (assuming you installed to 'e:\lams':
E:\lams\jboss\server\default\deploy\lams-1.0.jar
E:\lams\jboss\server\default\deploy\lams.war
E:\lams\jboss\server\default\lib\lams-valve.jar
E:\lams\jboss\server\default\conf\jboss-service.xml

Start LAMS again. After that, you should be updated (the build number will still display as your old one unless you update it in your database, as stated above).

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

24: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/26/06 10:13 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Jun,

Thanks once again on the help and support.

I have updated the files and hve not update the Build number.

I shall now proceed with the moodle integration. And keep you informed of the outcome.

Thanks once again.

Garry

25: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/28/06 02:22 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jun,

Again run into

---------------------------------------------------------
type Status report

---------------------------------------------------------

Apache Tomcat/4.1.24-LE-jdk14

My installation opens the login page after this I get the above error.
The valve jar is placed at
jboss/server/default/lib
The updates are completed as advised.

I wish to report that the startup and the login page opens slowly.

Attaching the server log.

Thanks in advance.

Garry

Attachments:
26: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/28/06 02:26 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Jun,

I am also attaching the server log copy for appreciation of the problem.
This is in continuation of my last mail

Garry

Attachments:
27: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/28/06 09:23 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Did you change your mysql root password? LAMS is getting 'access denied' from the database.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

28: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 02/28/06 11:04 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jun,

I have not changed the password. After your mail What I have done is updated the password for the MySql User and now the application starts.

PS Where in the log is this reflected??

Garry

29: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 03/01/06 06:22 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Great!

In the middle of the server.log there is this

Depends On Me: org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException: Error while fixing table name; - nested throwable: (org.jboss.util.NestedSQLException: Could not create connection; - nested throwable: (java.sql.SQLException: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES));

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

30: Re: LAMS & Moodle Integration--Activity Call up Error
In response to 1 03/05/06 10:58 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jun,

I am not able to connect to LAMS from withing Moodle.

There is an error I have posted the details in the forum

http://lamscommunity.org/dotlrn/clubs/technicalcommunity/forums/message-view?message%5fid=130519

Look for your help in gettign the error sorted out.

Garry

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS