Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!

You may request notification for LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!.
Search: 

1: LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!
10/05/06 02:10 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
LAMS 2.0 RC1 is now out! :-)

This is the perfect opportunity for teachers and general users to get involved and provide as much feedback as they can about LAMS... anything from bugs, colors and fonts to features you will like to have added or that you plainly don't like.

This Relase has all features built in, so it's ready to play ball.

Remember that we are planning to release the stable version at the end of this month and the more feedback we get the better the final LAMS will be.

You can test LAMS 2.0 RC1 in different ways:

1.- Use the Demo Server, where you can get yourself an account automatically and play with LAMS as Teacher, Monitor and Learner.

2.- Download the Windows Installer and install LAMS in your own machine (and then have all mighty Administrators access)

3.- Build LAMS 2.0 RC1 from directly from the source if you want to have a look at how LAMS is built or want to create your own LAMS tools.

Please I cannot over emphasize the importance of your feedback to ensure the next realease is as best as it can be!

As part of the LAMS team, I would like to thank the development team for their effort and amazing job on getting to this milestone: Fiona, Dapeng, Fei, Jun-Dir, Pradeep, Mitch, Shelly and Anthony! Well done fellas! Also, to the LAMS educational ladies (Robyn, Angela, Bronwen, Karen and Leanne) who have been helping us shaping the system to better serve the need of Education. And of course Yoichi and James for their constant support.

Finally, special thanks to the glorious 35+ translators that have been working for weeks in getting their 22 languages ready for today. Especially, Erik Engh from Norway that has been invaluable catching bugs and testing LAMS daily. Thanks very much Erik.

Problems, comments, suggestions, etc, please post them here

Enjoy!

Ernie

PS: LAMS is released under the GPL License, so free software!

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

2: Re: LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!
In response to 1 10/08/06 07:58 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I installed Lams2.0 RC1 but I cannot find a button for authoring. Will the windows installer version Lams 2.0 RC1 be updated continually as bugs become fixed? Or should I wait until final version will be launched?

When I use the demo server, I still have a problem to draw transition. I wonder nobody experiences the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

JD Park

Posted by Jong-Dae Park

3: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!
In response to 2 10/08/06 08:10 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi!

I created a user for the authoring. When I login using the new user id and password, I can author the sequence but there is a problem in drawing transitions.

The UTF-8 setting does not work well. Some menu in english.

Thanks.

JD Park

Posted by Jong-Dae Park

4: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!
In response to 3 10/08/06 04:44 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jong-Dae,

Good to hear that you have installed LAMS.

Although you have shown me the problem with drawing transitions when you were here in Sydney none of us have managed to reproduce it. I'll post a message to all translators asking them if anyone else has a similar problem.

> The UTF-8 setting does not work well. Some menu in english.

Can you let us know which menus appear in English? I can say for sure that the Admin section (group management and Sysadmin) are in English as that module has not been translated yet. But are there any others that show in English and not in Korean?

Thanks,

Ernie

5: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!
In response to 3 10/08/06 04:57 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jong-Dae

> I can author the sequence but there is a problem in drawing transitions.

I have posted a message to all translators to see if anyone of them have experience this drawing transitions problem before. That might shed some light into this issue.

Also is this happening in other computers as well? If so, are those computers also running Windows XP in Korean?

Can you also confirm by clicking here what version of Flash it says that you are running? It should say:

You have version x,x,xx,x installed (where the x are a some numbers). Can you post what you get here?

Thanks,

Ernie

9: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!
In response to 5 10/10/06 02:40 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi! Ernie,

Nice to hear from you.
I am using flash player version 9.0.16.0. I think there is a problem in event handler for the transition and selection. If I click the tool, the event listener for the tool selection catches the event before the event listener for the transition catches that event.

Thanks for your efforts.

Cheers,

Jong-Dae Park

Posted by Jong-Dae Park

11: Koren Flash problems when drawing transitions
In response to 9 10/10/06 08:01 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jong-Dae,

In the LAMS Authoring environment there's a hidden debugging logger that might be able to give us some more information on what is happening when you are trying to draw a transition. So here are the steps you need to follow:

1.- Login with a user that has access to author
2.- Click on the Authoring tab and the authoring environment should pop-up.
3.- Click on the authoring screen and press the following combination of keys all together: CTRL+ALT+? (the ? is the question mark key). You should be able to see a Debug window (see attached file.

4.- Drag two activities into the canvas (note that it will be slower than usual due to the debugging window).
5.- Click on the transition button and try to draw it between the two activities. That might not work as we all know :-)

6.- Grab the text you got in the debugging window and paste it here

That should give us an insight in what it's happenning.

Thanks,

Ernie

Attachments:
12: Re: Koren Flash problems when drawing transitions
In response to 11 10/11/06 03:38 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi! Ernie,

Thanks for your consideration.
I append the log file. It is too big to post here.
Please let me know if I need to get more logs.

Thanks.

Posted by Jong-Dae Park

Attachments:
13: Re: Re: Koren Flash problems when drawing transitions
In response to 12 10/11/06 07:47 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jong-Dae,

I have done a comparison of your log with the log from a normal (working) case, tested on your server my machine. Note the differences below (relevent part).

It seems that the transition tool is being deactivated when you press/select the first Canvas Activity.

*--- Cursor ---*
[showCursor]ID:default
*--- CanvasModel ---*
[stopTransitionTool]Stopping transition tool

or isn't active at the time you are releasing outside the Canvas Activity, i.e on another Canvas Activity. Since the transition tool isn't active at the time of release, no transition is being created. Do you notice if the transition icon disappears when the first Canvas Activity is pressed on?

Normal Log

*--- CanvasController ---*
[activityClick]activityClick CanvasActivity:1 orderID: undefined
[activityClick]Check if transition tool active :true

Your Log

*--- CanvasController ---*
[activityClick]activityClick CanvasActivity:1 orderID: undefined
[activityClick]Check if transition tool active :false

Does this problem occur on other Korean machines (laptop's) also? Have you only tested on this one machine? It may be worthwhile checking if the same issue is occurring on other machines.

Posted by Mitchell Seaton

14: Re: Re: Re: Koren Flash problems when drawing transitions
In response to 13 10/12/06 02:23 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Mitchell Seaton,

Yes, the transition tool is deactivated when I press/select the first Canvas Activity.

This problem occured on all the computers I tested (more than 6 computers)

Thanks for your effort.

Jong-Dae Park

Posted by Jong-Dae Park

15: Re: Re: Re: Re: Koren Flash problems when drawing transitions
In response to 14 10/12/06 02:27 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jong-Dae,

> This problem occured on all the computers I tested (more
> than 6 computers)

All of these computers are running Window XP in Korean, right?

I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities to see what can be causing this.

Thanks,

Ernie

16: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Koren Flash problems when drawing transitions
In response to 15 10/12/06 09:37 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yes, they are all running Korean Windows XP. I found that there is no problem for English version of Windows XP.

It is strange.

Thanks for your support.

Jong-Dae Park

Posted by Jong-Dae Park

17: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Koren Flash problems when drawing transitions
In response to 15 10/13/06 10:34 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi!

My friend told me that it might be due to encoding problems.

Thanks.

JD Park

Posted by Jong-Dae Park

18: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Koren Flash problems when drawing transitions
In response to 15 10/15/06 05:45 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi! Ernie,

I wonder every actionscripts and parameters were saved in utf-8 format. If the flash file (swf) contained some parameters which were not utf-8 encoded, these parameters may cause problems.

Thanks in advance.

Jong-Dae Park

Posted by Jong-Dae Park

19: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Koren Flash problems when drawing transitions
In response to 18 10/17/06 07:52 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jong-Dae,

Yes, all files and parameters are utf-8. It seems that the problem is trigger at an event. So what we'll do is send you a customized LAMS Authoring flash file (swf) and then we add this to your installation as you currenlty have it. This flash file contains more debugging statements that hopefully will help us discover where the issue is.

So I'll send you an email shortly with the details

Ernie

6: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!
In response to 2 10/09/06 02:38 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> Will the windows installer version Lams 2.0 RC1
> be updated continually as bugs become fixed?

This Friday (13-Oct) we'll repackage the installer again with the latest bug fixes.

You will need to uninstall the previous version of LAMS in order to re-install this one.

Note that after 2.0 stable, you won't need to uninstall previous version, but instead these will be upgraded automatically by the installer.

Thanks,

Ernie

7: Re: LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!
In response to 1 10/10/06 06:48 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie,
Congrats on LAMS progress.
I have installed most of the stuff
locally. The Jabber server turned out
to be just a zip-file though, I can
extract it but no install process starts :-(

I can start LAMS via http://localhost:8080/lams/index.jsp
and log in but the only tabs I can see are:
My Profile | Sys Admin | Groups Mgt | My groups
I can change my profile and see, add new groups etc.
All I can do with Sys Admin is Cache Managment,
Maintain login page and Batch tasks.
There's no mechanism to start the program and
start designing sequences...

I was not sure about the MySQL PW so I left
that empty when installing but I think I have
a PW for root; only I don't remember where to
set or change it.

Cheers, Anders

Posted by Anders Berggren

8: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!
In response to 7 10/10/06 02:29 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi!

You need to add a new group and add a new user to the group. If you log as a user, you can author contents.

The is a windows installer version for Jabber. Try it. If you install the wildfire in windows server, you need to connect the server from other computer to launch the admin page to finish setup.

Cheers,

Jong-Dae Park

Posted by Jong-Dae Park

20: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!
In response to 8 10/18/06 03:40 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks! It helped me get on.
Cheers, Anders

Posted by Anders Berggren

10: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!
In response to 7 10/10/06 05:42 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
With the Wildfire zip file, you can start the jabber server by double-clicking wildfire.exe which is in the wildfire\bin directory. Or alternatively, you could use the installer as Jong-Dae suggests :) I've updated the installer help page to include a link to the installer as well.

Wildfire have a good guide to starting and setting up on Windows here: http://www.jivesoftware.org/builds/wildfire/docs/latest/documentation/install-guide.html#windows

... to get to the authoring screen, you need to login as a user with the author role - the sysadmin doesn't have this.

... if you can login to LAMS as sysadmin and poke around, then your mysql root password was correct (i.e., blank).

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

21: Re: LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!
In response to 1 10/18/06 02:59 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,

I have installed LAMS 2.0 RC1 on an XP laptop with a static IP. It is working fine, though I had problems originally installing it on a Windows 2000 server box, because of the issue of multiple JVMs on the system. Has this issue been resolved and a new RC released--please notify when it is released. I need my laptop back :-)

Also, with RC1 I could not find a way as Sysadmin to reset/chenge user passwords. I could only change my own sysadmin password, but not change the password of users I had created. This is a problem in that I had mistyped some passwords for users I had created, and the only way I could see of correcting this was to drop the user accounts and recreate them. This is OK if it is a new account, but if a user forgets his/her password and has projects created, all the work will be lost when I drop the account to recreate it. . . . Am I just missing something in the spartan Sysadmin tabs?

Thanks for your help on getting me set up for our demo last week.

Robert

Posted by Robert Snyder

22: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0 Release Candidate 1 is out!
In response to 21 10/18/06 05:54 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yep, the Windows installer for RC1 has been updated last Friday - previously it used the system's default JRE to configure LAMS, now it uses the 1.5 JDK that you give it.

Re: changing passwords, sysadmin can do this, but currently the link to it is hidden (still working on the layout!)
Login as sysadmin, click Group Management, and then edit the URL to this:
htpp://.../lams/admin/usersearch.do
Search for your user, then edit. This will allow you to edit a user's personal details including password.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum