Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Failure to install 2.2 on Windows XP

You may request notification for Failure to install 2.2 on Windows XP.
Search: 

1: Failure to install 2.2 on Windows XP
01/19/09 03:51 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi.

I downloaded and ran LAMS-2.2.exe and it reported:

"and was unexpected at this time."

which is also the complete contents of the configure-deploy.log

After that the only option is to cancel and it uninstalls everything. I tried again (selecting default options) and before cancelling I tried to run run.bat in the JBoss folder and it seemed to start fine. But http://localhost:8080/lams returns "The requested resource (/lams) is not available."

Best,

-ken

Posted by Ken Kahn

2: Re: Failure to install 2.2 on Windows XP
In response to 1 01/21/09 12:19 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hello Ken,

Im not sure what might have happened here, i've never come across this problem before. It certainly isnt expected output from the installer even if there is an error. All I could say at them moment is to try installing again and see if you can repeat the problem. If you do get the same problem again, please send us the installation logs under the lams directory.

On a second note I usually dont recommend using the run.bat script as it hasnt been updated in some time. You should either use the run script that is in the start menu or you can start the service manually in the cmd window by typing the following command:

sc start LAMSv2

I hope that I have been some help to you,

Luke Foxton

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

4: Re: Re: Failure to install 2.2 on Windows XP
In response to 2 01/21/09 08:32 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi. Thanks.

The only log file is configure-deploy.log and all it contains is

and was unexpected at this time.

The installer didn't get far enough to create a service entry.

I'll need to start from the source code soon anyway so I'll probably follow those instructions instead of using the installer.

On Tuesday I'll try with a different computer and report back.

-ken

Posted by Ken Kahn

3: Re: Failure to install 2.2 on Windows XP
In response to 1 01/21/09 02:44 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
This thread might prove informative:
http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13569

The error you get is most probably caused by unquoted path that contains word "and" as in "C:\Documents and Settings\rest of the path".

To be honest we never got this error before. Maybe you have JBoss (or at least its deployment directory) installed in your home (user) directory?

Cheers,
Marcin

Posted by Marcin Cieslak

5: Re: Re: Failure to install 2.2 on Windows XP
In response to 3 01/21/09 08:37 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi. Thanks.

That probably is the explanation. I first tried to install LAMS on c:\Program Files\LAMS and the installer said spaces weren't permitted so I used c:\LAMS.

Java is installed on Program Files. I don't think I gave any My Documents paths to the installer. So I'm not sure where the Documents and Settings came from.

Best,

-ken

Posted by Ken Kahn

6: Re: Re: Re: Failure to install 2.2 on Windows XP
In response to 5 01/21/09 09:22 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
It is a problem with environment variables that reference My Documents. I changed newant.bat to @echo on and found this:

C:\lams\apache-ant-1.6.5\bin>if "yes" == "no" goto runAntNoClasspath
and was unexpected at this time.

C:\lams\apache-ant-1.6.5\bin>if not ".;"C:\Documents and Settings\Ken Kahn\My Documents\eclipse\MoPiX2\src\com.kisgergely.gwt.canvas.jar";c:\program files\junit-4.4.jar;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"=="" goto runAntWithClasspath

C:\lams\apache-ant-1.6.5\bin>

Posted by Ken Kahn

11: Re: Re: Re: Re: Failure to install 2.2 on Windows XP
In response to 6 02/01/09 03:19 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The installation problems on my first computer were due to the value of CLASSPATH that included a quoted file from My Documents. That is where the "and" error message originated. After editing CLASSPATH it installed fine. Working fine now on computer #1. Will look into computer #2 soon (service not created problem).

Thanks for everyone's help.

Posted by Ken Kahn

7: Re: Failure to install 2.2 on Windows XP
In response to 1 01/27/09 10:09 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I tried to install 2.2 on a different XP computer today. This time the installation seemed to go OK but when startings LAMS I got the error in the attached zip file (together with log files). When I opened the Control Panel to look Services there was no LAMS or LAMSv2 service listed.

Posted by Ken Kahn

Attachments:
8: Re: Re: Failure to install 2.2 on Windows XP
In response to 7 01/27/09 04:35 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ken,

What happens when you try to use the regular start-lams.exe script in the start menu? Does it say lams is starting?

If so can you please send us all the logs at [lamsdir]/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/log and that might tell us what is going wrong here.

thanks,

Luke

Posted by Luke Foxton

9: Re: Re: Re: Failure to install 2.2 on Windows XP
In response to 8 01/29/09 04:59 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi.

I get the same error about no installed service as I reported earlier (see previous attachment for details). There is a C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\server\default folder but no log sub-folder. The C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\logs folder is empty.

Best,

-ken

Posted by Ken Kahn

10: Re: Re: Re: Re: Failure to install 2.2 on Windows XP
In response to 9 01/29/09 04:37 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ken,

The only explanation I can come up with is that the script to register the service in windows has failed. I guess the best option is to re-run the scripts manually to see if that works.

In lams/jboss-4.0.2/bin you will find the scripts that de-registers and registers the LAMSv2 service.

First run "UninstallLAMS-NT.bat" then run "InstallLAMS-NT.bat"

Then Check in Control-Panel->Administrative Tools->Services to see if the LAMSv2 service has appeared (If you already have the services window open you will need to refresh). If you find that this still does not work, open both the files in an editor and delete the first line 'echo off' and this might give us some error output we can use.

Hopefully this will fix the problem, otherwise we may need to dissect the script and run each command manually to find where the problem is.

luke

Posted by Luke Foxton

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS